Surfing with a pro or x pro surfer.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Indo dreaming
regular

Surfing with a pro or x pro surfer.

Post by Indo dreaming » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:16 am

Seems to be a different advert on this sites home page for a surf trip every week for a surfing with some pro or x pro even shapers?

Dont know about you guys, but especially in Indo the last thing i want or need is to surf with a pro or x pro, sure theres an element of inspiration surfing with great surfers, but ive surfed with about 20 pro or x pros in indo(mostly Mentawais) and generally it sucks, even if they try to do the right thing and be mellow, soon there competitive instincts kick in and there nabbing every wave that comes by or acting like crowd controllers thinking they can hold inside position while calling there friends into waves.

Its also can ruin your grommet respect you have for X pros you have looked up too, spent a bit of time with one X pro in particular while working at a surf camp, was a bit in awe at first, but it didn't take long to realise just because he once ripped and still surfed damn good, out of the water he was a moody washed up bum that lived in the past and winged about the lack of respect he now received and how much it sucked how much the guys get now when he got jack (and still has jack)

Only pro ive met thats lived up to what i expected is Occy he seemed exactly as the media potrayed, although in the water he still has that watch out im going no matter what attitude.

All that said ive never surfed with Tom Curren or Slater there the only guys id like to be in the water with, any others current or X pro, id do my best to avoid surfing with.

BTW. im not saying there isn't lots of great guys that are pros or X pros, im just more like WTF your trying to encourage me to book a surf trip to some tropical paradise so i can watch a pro get all the good waves while i get there scraps..please.

rmb
barnacle

Re: Surfing with a pro or x pro surfer.

Post by rmb » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:10 pm

I have pondered this myself Indo Dreaming theres been a few advertised on different sites with a few names such as Rabbit Bartholemew, Barton Lynch and Bob McTavich who I am sure they are nice enough people having their wives or son accompanying them on the trip also. Seems like a way for punters to pay for the pros holiday and fill the boats for the skipper. Rather do a surf trip with mates and meet new ones as you do on surf trips.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:47 pm

My sentiments exactly. Its not like every time I see a pro out in the surf I want to go up and say "high, love your work,how about we go on a surfari together so you can see how crap I am by comparison".

In fact the information that there are going to be pro surfers around is usually well received so I can plan on being somewhere else. Great watching them surf but the thrill would wear off quickly as you jostled for the last beer.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:23 pm

Agree with the above comments. An exception could be if the pro surfer gives you tips like a golf pro would if you're playing golf with them.

However I'm not sure if that would be the case or if the pro would just go for every wave in order to show off and leave you to the scraps. :?:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:06 pm

Indo dreaming I have a question, do you have any current financial interest in any surf camp?

Well OK another, what work did you do at a surf camp (as alluded to)?

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:34 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Indo dreaming I have a question, do you have any current financial interest in any surf camp?

Well OK another, what work did you do at a surf camp (as alluded to)?
Argh yes i thought starting this thread would be treading a fine line as i referenced an advert/sponsor, but its not meant as an attack on any particular surf camp or advertiser, ive just noticed in the last year or two, this trend beginning I noticed last week they were advertising surfing with matt hoy and forgot the other one one of the current pros, then ive seen now theres some long boarder and even Bob Mc'tavish.

Ive noticed Kandui resort have also been pushing the same kind of deal last few seasons.

I started the topic not as an attack but just as an interesting thread as to me its kind of a WTF and see how others felt.

To answer your questions No i don't have any current (or previous)financial interest in any surf camps.

I worked as an operations manager/surf guide for a season at a surf resort, i don't do it now as i cant afford to do it and pay the mortgage back home :( great job but doesn't pay well in $ terms.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:07 pm

Is that correct, people pay good coin to have Hoyo take all their waves and drink all their piss :-) GOLD

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:53 pm

i'd go with rod kirsop. he would have a good first-aid kit and know how to use it, and after a few beers he might start telling gynaecology stories.

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:06 pm

Indodreaming, hate to burst your Tom Curren bubble, i 'surfed' with him at racetracks one fine morning and regrettably, he wasnt exactly the worlds most congenial man...by comparison to some other pros there who were quite chill

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:55 pm

Gee Occy was out every morning last time we were at snapper. Nice to watch him surf but I felt no inclination to go up and ask for his autograph or compliment him on his style. I'm more for giving well known people a bit of space out of respect for their privacy.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

nothingman

Post by nothingman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:05 am

Hay, I cant surf for crud, I know it, the last thing I am going to want to do is hit the water with the pro's and make a complete and utter yutz of myself. As for talking to them....Id probably nod (to aknowledge their presence) and leave it at that. Give em a bit of space aye, If they decided to speak to me, well I would be polite and talk back of course.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:39 am

Creepy :shock:

So what's been the experience at surf camps or just surfing with pros or ex-pros :?:

Have they given you surfing tips (other than saying piss off) or do they just go and hog all the good waves :?:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:52 pm

What about the pro surfers in all this? Eh?

What about them?

What if they don't want to surf with you??

Didn't think of that now did youse? No. It's always about YOU isn't it.

Nah look I think in the case of a top surfer who knowingly goes on a surf charter/resort gig that uses him/her as a lure, you can be pretty damn sure he/she is not gonna steal all the waves. I mean he/she is there partly to engage with you.

Your mate's the one who is gonna try to steal your waves for christ's sake.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Changed my mind I would like to go on one of these trips will just wait for the right one to be advertised can someone tell me when a surf trip with Sally Fitzgibbons or alternatively Steph Gilmore is open for bookings?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Just watched The Drifter with Rob Machado last night. Gee TV is crap these days. Great surfing but I don't know if I'd want to hang foul in the tent with him for a couple of weeks.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:05 pm

as its been mentioned, those pros on those trips would be well aware to pull their heads in. but when you look at it, they are older surfers, bit more mature and level headed than some frothing 20yr old.
as for being in a lineup with pros, whats the problem? you always get greedy pigs in the surf, pro or not. if they are decent guys and you can hold your own in the conditions youre surfing, then youll get waves. remember that thing called the pecking order? if you are whinging about not getting waves when good surfers are out, perhaps you need to have an honest assesment of your skill level.

booradley
regular

Post by booradley » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:54 pm

The Alana Blanchard trip would be ok - she can drop in on me any day (boom tish) :-)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:00 pm

brendo wrote:as its been mentioned, those pros on those trips would be well aware to pull their heads in. but when you look at it, they are older surfers, bit more mature and level headed than some frothing 20yr old.
as for being in a lineup with pros, whats the problem? you always get greedy pigs in the surf, pro or not. if they are decent guys and you can hold your own in the conditions youre surfing, then youll get waves. remember that thing called the pecking order? if you are whinging about not getting waves when good surfers are out, perhaps you need to have an honest assesment of your skill level.
One thing to go on a trip with say Jim Banks who is using his expertise to organise the whole show. Another to "hang out" with some ex pros you don't know. Its to my mind like winning a game of tennis with John McEnroe. The basic premise is that hanging out with the guys is the draw card. Not that you shouldn't complain that they surf better than you do when theyre there.

Bragging rights is the only possible justification as far as I can see and your paying for it.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?