Surfing with a pro or x pro surfer.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Surfing with a pro or x pro surfer.

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:56 am

Well you know, being straight here, you might be surprised at how much stuff an ex pro surfer knows about the sport and can impart to you in a few days' surfing together.

They don't get that good by accident and once they're past 30-odd, they're usually relaxed and articulate enough to share their insights pretty easily.

Just from what I've noticed, most surfers only need two or three good simple tips about what they're doing or not doing and their surfing experience is really enhanced.

So in theory I reckon the pro-resort thing could work really well for a lot of people. Not everyone obviously. I've seen some surfers have really weird reactions to top pros, like masculine threat responses, trying to hassle them for position etc, which is kind of embarrassing and would surely be the opposite of what you'd want on a surf trip. Other times you might not want the extra effort of following tips on how to surf better etc and would rather just relax, go for a surf and drink a few beers with your mates.

But yeah, as mentioned I really don't think you'd need to be concerned about the ex pro stealing all your waves.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:14 am

Herro was a fantastic articulator of style/technique.

He could really break it down.

What a great comeback gig that could be for him if he could get sober.

I'd pay the dough just to watch him draw his lines in perfect waves.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Would personally rather hang around with a whole lot of f-cked up people.

Pro or no pro…you drop in on me once ...you get one warning.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:26 pm

kreepykrawly wrote:Would personally rather hang around with a whole lot of f-cked up people.

you must have a REALLY BIG PENIS.
the tools of the trade are the head and the heart - mission of burma

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:16 pm

collnarra wrote:
kreepykrawly wrote:Would personally rather hang around with a whole lot of f-cked up people.

Wouldnt ya love to know Coll from Narra ?. Pffffft

nothingman

Post by nothingman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:32 pm

tomtom wrote:
nothingman wrote:Hay, I cant surf for crud, I know it, the last thing I am going to want to do is hit the water with the pro's and make a complete and utter yutz of myself. As for talking to them....Id probably nod (to aknowledge their presence) and leave it at that. Give em a bit of space aye, If they decided to speak to me, well I would be polite and talk back of course.
Welcome to realsurf. Trevor, sign this guy up to the dungeon.
The dungeon?? should I even be asking???? :D Ive said it before-Ill say it again, I am a yutz! :twisted: :twisted:

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:34 pm

kreepykrawly wrote:
collnarra wrote:

in the annals of piss-poor responses, that was about as poverty stricken as it gets.

I'm guessing you walk like a cowboy, Kreepy?

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:54 pm

collnarra wrote:
kreepykrawly wrote:
collnarra wrote:

in the annals of piss-poor responses, that was about as poverty stricken as it gets.

I'm guessing you walk like a cowboy, Kreepy?
Hey Josh you might respond litterately correct in all things internet...pity you cant translate that face to face. BIG PENIS vs button dick. No competition

BTW ive been in NN car park every morning around 9.15 after dropping the kids off...come see how i walk in the REAL world...... instead of your internet imaginary world.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:55 pm

and by the way... Jason is in Abu dhabi and Luke lives near manly warf

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:56 pm

You've twisted yourself into logical knots. Read the last few exchanges and see if you can figure it out.

I'd love to come meet you. Perhaps a cup of tea? Sadly, I'm working by the time you wander into the carpark for the "executive early."

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:50 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Well you know, being straight here, you might be surprised at how much stuff an ex pro surfer knows about the sport and can impart to you in a few days' surfing together.

They don't get that good by accident and once they're past 30-odd, they're usually relaxed and articulate enough to share their insights pretty easily.

Just from what I've noticed, most surfers only need two or three good simple tips about what they're doing or not doing and their surfing experience is really enhanced.

So in theory I reckon the pro-resort thing could work really well for a lot of people. Not everyone obviously. I've seen some surfers have really weird reactions to top pros, like masculine threat responses, trying to hassle them for position etc, which is kind of embarrassing and would surely be the opposite of what you'd want on a surf trip. Other times you might not want the extra effort of following tips on how to surf better etc and would rather just relax, go for a surf and drink a few beers with your mates.

But yeah, as mentioned I really don't think you'd need to be concerned about the ex pro stealing all your waves.
Maybe a different scenario if they are there giving insights and tips, Nick, but that doesn't seem to be the draw in the ads. If I turned up somewhere and that happened that would be great but I don't think I would be paying to create that situation. Thats just my approach to things. Always open to advice but I could write myself a long list of things I could do to improve my surfing and I reckon I would get more value out of a week with a yoga teacher at my age than anything else. Truth be told I'm more interested in maintaining my surfing level rather than thinking about improving it.

I reckon what would really be the go would be coaching plus a wide range of boards to try. Also fins etc. I know since I bought a second hand fish 8 months ago its changed my whole idea about where my surfing was going.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Well you know, being straight here, you might be surprised at how much stuff an ex pro surfer knows about the sport and can impart to you in a few days' surfing together.

I guess thats one aspect i never considered.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:27 am

Maybe it's crazy, but im guessing as pro surfers are a group of people, there'll be some who are dickheads, idiots and fkkwtiits, but most would be pretty reasonable people. I know, it's crazy to not just group them all in the wave stealing, egomaniacal group hey?!

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:54 am

Beerfan wrote:Maybe it's crazy, but im guessing as pro surfers are a group of people, there'll be some who are but most would be pretty reasonable people. I know, it's crazy to not just group them all in the wave stealing, egomaniacal group hey?!
Crazy but true,cept I would say there is some reasonable people, but most would be dickheads, idiots and fkkwtiits. We are talking about a group of people with big egos here as they would not get as far as they have without it.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:58 am

Not many sports you get to I guess participate with the best....like have a match against Federer or play a round with Tiger Woods.

It's IMO pretty special to surf with any of the Top 44 ...... it wouldn't happen (to most) that often and you'd probably learn something.

I surfed with Derek Ho at G Land in 1988 and yeah it was incredible......so brave for a little tacker.

Mind you I heard Tom Carroll and his brother Nick were absolute cnuts out there a year later. :lol:

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:17 am

What Nick and Tom drop in on people and snake em? No can't be true :-o :(

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:43 pm

Buff_Brad wrote:Not many sports you get to I guess participate with the best....like have a match against Federer or play a round with Tiger Woods.

:lol:
......or a footrace with Bolt or a kickboxing tournament with Chuck Norris :roll: :roll:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:36 am

Rips on a longboard and a short board and seems a good bloke to boot. Apparently still some slots left. I was up that way last year and its a great place. Would go back in a shot.