Crowded point breaks

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Crowded point breaks

Post by alakaboo » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:14 pm

Take off under the peak, remove that option.
If you don't, and they can backdoor it then swap to the left or suck it up

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Bummy, if the right and left are both pretty rideable then ' split the peak'. The guy on the right goes right and the guy on the left goes left. If one side is better than the other and the, person behind the peak is clearly going in your direction or calls it then give em the wave.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:40 pm

bumfluff wrote:Here's another question.

You've got a hollow A frame wave.

I'm taking off just to the right of the peak, and someone is taking off behind the peak and coming my way.

There's obviously a shoulder on both sides of the peak, so who has right of way?

The guy behind the peak?

I've noted it can often be hard to tell which way the guy behind the peak is going, left or right. Some people call it, but most don't.
Not trying to be nasty but you've got 3445 posts up on here and you actually don't know?
Forgive me as I spend most of my viewing/posting time on the weirdos section.
I'll go back there now... :arrow: 8)
Last edited by Cuttlefish on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:45 pm

I've always thought it was the guy behind the peak, until I read this:

"A Surfer Taking-off on One Side of a Peak Has No Right of Way over a Surfer Who Has Already Caught or Is Riding the Other Shoulder.

This means a surfer cannot cross under the peak to the opposite shoulder if is already occupied."

http://www.asudoit.com/paddle_fest/surf_etiquette.html

Hence my question

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:45 pm

croissant wrote: then I expect the exact same treatment,

Problem begins here.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:02 pm

It's funny that lots of people on here are ripping into bummy for his questions but seriously I reckon 60% of those out surfing in many of Sydney's breaks would not know the answer to these questions. I see it with my own eyes, so at least he is asking. Would probably help if more people asked these questions before just paddling out with no idea.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Natho wrote:It's funny that lots of people on here are ripping into bummy for his questions but seriously I reckon 60% of those out surfing in many of Sydney's breaks would not know the answer to these questions. I see it with my own eyes, so at least he is asking. Would probably help if more people asked these questions before just paddling out with no idea.
But it's not cool to answer questions... not is it cool to aske them...

nor is it cool to drop in.

:-o

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:08 pm

Surf schools need to educate their students better as well.
It's not like anyone's paying for a surf ticket (with a wave included with said ticket ) which has the rules printed on the back with the disclaimer in fine print. :wink:

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:38 pm

Ringmaster wrote:Hey Bumfluff. Take this any way you like but here goes............

If you go out at a break where you consistantly have a shit time/get F.A waves/get burned,snaked etc

STOP SURFING THERE :idea:

One of the great things about surfing is that it's NOT regulated so generally the better surfers will get the lions share even if they do push the boundaries of your perception of 'fair play'. That's just the way it is and always has been.

Like Shearer said about Pipeline.....you go out at a break where you're down the pecking order you can't have expectations that the alpha crew will do you any favours. If you're good enough....your ability (and attitude to a certain extent) will get you waves. If not....suck it up and go somewhere where the competition and waves are at a lower level.

Been surfing for over 30 something years and that philosophy has worked very well for me over the journey.
I totally agree with you.

I went to a different point break the following day and dominated it purely because of a combination of less people out and the skill level in the surfers was lower, though everyone knew the rules.

I went from getting 4 sh*t waves the whole day to getting as many as I wanted and was calling people off my waves.

So yea it is totally to do with skill level I think and every break has a different vibe. Thoug some places it wouldn't matter how good your are, it would do your head in trying to get a wave amongst 100 people (Snapper, Noosa etc)

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:48 pm

Did you read the "skill level was lower" bit?

I'm not saying I'm good, im saying different breaks have different skill levels and felt far more comfortable surfing there with fewer out.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:50 am

So you dominated out there because the skills of others were lower and they all knew the rules.
However you were still calling people off your waves.
So did they know the rules or not?
Maybe they were thinking that this guys snagging too many waves.
The only answer is to drop in on him.
Poor buggers :wink:

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:22 am

Cuttlefish wrote:So you dominated out there because the skills of others were lower and they all knew the rules.
However you were still calling people off your waves.
So did they know the rules or not?
Maybe they were thinking that this guys snagging too many waves.
The only answer is to drop in on him.
Poor buggers :wink:
Was thinking that myself Welcome to the world of surfing bumfluff the most self centered lifestyle/sport you are ever going to come across. Really the only time anyone really gives up a wave is when they know there's a better one behind it.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:41 am

Yea I can, that's my point.. The rules are there for a reason and you've just gotta find a break you're suited to.

There weren't dropping in but one or two were pretty close. Mind you one Mal rider blatantly dropped in on everyone. He didn't do it to me so I didn't say anything.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:48 am

bumfluff wrote:Yea I can, that's my point.. Mind you one Mal rider blatantly dropped in on everyone. He didn't do it to me so I didn't say anything.
And just how is the incontinent and curmudgeonly old Trev going.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:35 am

loofy wrote:
bumfluff wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:Hey Bumfluff. Take this any way you like but here goes............

If you go out at a break where you consistantly have a shit time/get F.A waves/get burned,snaked etc

STOP SURFING THERE :idea:

One of the great things about surfing is that it's NOT regulated so generally the better surfers will get the lions share even if they do push the boundaries of your perception of 'fair play'. That's just the way it is and always has been.

Like Shearer said about Pipeline.....you go out at a break where you're down the pecking order you can't have expectations that the alpha crew will do you any favours. If you're good enough....your ability (and attitude to a certain extent) will get you waves. If not....suck it up and go somewhere where the competition and waves are at a lower level.

Been surfing for over 30 something years and that philosophy has worked very well for me over the journey.
I totally agree with you.

I went to a different point break the following day and dominated it purely because of a combination of less people out and the skill level in the surfers was lower, though everyone knew the rules.

I went from getting 4 sh*t waves the whole day to getting as many as I wanted and was calling people off my waves.

So yea it is totally to do with skill level I think and every break has a different vibe. Thoug some places it wouldn't matter how good your are, it would do your head in trying to get a wave amongst 100 people (Snapper, Noosa etc)
:D
3-)

You totally dominated out there?? Haha, brilliant.
They don't call him "The King of Collaroy Point" for nothing. 3-)

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:37 am

crustt wrote:Good surfers don't need to drop in.
Why does little Tom do it then :?:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:41 am

Womble wrote:
bumfluff wrote:Yea I can, that's my point.. Mind you one Mal rider blatantly dropped in on everyone. He didn't do it to me so I didn't say anything.
And just how is the incontinent and curmudgeonly old Trev going.
Very well, thanks for asking. :-o
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:49 pm

chrisb wrote:
crustt wrote:Good surfers don't need to drop in.
Why does little Tom do it then :?:
I said they don't need too. A fair majority of pro surfers will, I think it's an ego thing.