the biggest surf story in 300 yrs & nc ...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

aaronn
barnacle

the biggest surf story in 300 yrs & nc ...

Post by aaronn » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:35 pm

is on holidays
why, pray tell, was there no insiders' heads up on the deal?
how was it kept so hush?

Dicky Beach
Grommet

Re: the biggest surf story in 300 yrs & nc ...

Post by Dicky Beach » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:28 pm

don't you watch the 'today' show? NC's in NY with the two 'Richard's', reach arounds all round

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:18 am

Aaronn
Re inside info, everyone involved with this deal refused to talk about it, point blank. I guess their experience with the last attempt back in 2009 caused them all to clamp up hard.

The various people close enough to know a bit but far enough off not to be in the conversation, ie ASP employees, were afraid for their jobs and kept mum as a result.

Terry Hardy flatly refused to talk to any surf media prior to the deal going public. I'm gonna be in LA next week and will ask Terry for some time on the issue. Since this news popped I have had some interesting stuff leaked re both the backing for ZoSea and the deteriorating state of the surf industry. So let's see what emerges.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:20 am

Btw you will all have been reading Tim Baker's coverage of the rumours on ASL right?

localbogan
regular

Post by localbogan » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:44 pm

The sponsors (ie Bong, Rip, Quik) voted to give ZoSea the media rights didn't they?
Do you think Bong disclosed that this process was taking place to TPG?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:29 am

Well maybe, but when you rank it against the real business concerns of that company, it's a pretty small thing.

The franchisees will play the ball dead on the subject of media rights. "They were never ours anyway, we were just acting on them as part of our temporary event franchise." Would not have appeared on any balance sheet as an asset of any kind. As mentioned elsewhere, the 2009 franchise deal valued those rights at $65,000 per event, based on the prize money increase the franchisees provided in return for the use of the rights.

Truth is they were never really able to make those rights work too well. You just can't, not when the stories buried within those rights are year-long and worldwide, and you're trying to extoll them in the context of a single event. The franchisees weren't really interested in the world title race or even the athletes, they were really only interested in their event, but the events by themselves are only ever the setting for the stories, they're not really the point.

If the new deal is gonna work, it's got to make those stories hum. That's gonna take some expert storytelling and some new approaches to the sport.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:10 am

The ASP wrangling is marginally more interesting than their competitions, which isn't much of an achievement.

:wink:

localbogan
regular

Post by localbogan » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:39 am

More to the point, Billabong were in the process of voting for the handover of media rights to a Quiksilver based company. In my mind, voting to give a potential advantage to one of your rivals without telling your potential buyer is not going to make that buyer happy.
Imagine if ZoSea consisted of Joel Parkinson's manager and a director of Billabong...maybe TPG might have thought the future looked a bit rosier

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:41 am

I really hope the present declining economic climate returns surfing to the dark ages with punch ups in the lineups and mandatory bong smoking sesh’s...

The ASP can go and f-ck itself along with surf schools (sorry Werris),surf cams, fluro wetsuits, after surfing imported coffee drinking wind-downs, Chinese imported boards and ‘catered for air conditioned’ surf adventures.

Surfing outside the water has become one big cluster f-ck w-nk fest !!!

Localbogan…you’re an idiot. What the f-ck do you know…trying to sound all intellectual. Pffft ..give me a break (and I don’t mean your leg...which would be nice)

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:12 am

Outside Wicks surf shop Collaroy …accompanying a large image of someone surfing are the words “I like surfing because nobody can tell me how to do it”

How do you integrate that philosophy into surfing competition culture.

The ASP can kiss my…..

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:09 am

kreepykrawly wrote:I really hope the present declining economic climate returns surfing to the dark ages with punch ups in the lineups and mandatory bong smoking sesh’s...

The ASP can go and f-ck itself along with surf schools (sorry Werris),surf cams, fluro wetsuits, after surfing imported coffee drinking wind-downs, Chinese imported boards and ‘catered for air conditioned’ surf adventures.

Surfing outside the water has become one big cluster f-ck w-nk fest !!!

Localbogan…you’re an idiot. What the f-ck do you know…trying to sound all intellectual. Pffft ..give me a break (and I don’t mean your leg...which would be nice)
Fluoro wetsuits will remain.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:45 am

Haha…ok...I will reach a compromise

…If the only thing that survives this impending economic depression/recession is fluro wetsuits…. I won’t be disappointed.

I might have to use a black marker for the really colorful bits.

localbogan
regular

Post by localbogan » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:46 am

Narrabeen, the world renowned hotbed of intellectualism

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:56 am

Roy_Stewart wrote:The ASP wrangling is marginally more interesting than their competitions, which isn't much of an achievement.

why don't you enter a connie, roy, and see how you go. t'would tweek the interest .

how are you at airs?
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:23 pm

offshore1 wrote:
Roy_Stewart wrote:The ASP wrangling is marginally more interesting than their competitions, which isn't much of an achievement.

why don't you enter a connie, roy, and see how you go. t'would tweek the interest .

how are you at airs?
Haha I've done it a few times, the 2001 NZ nationals spring to mind, and to say that it tweaks the interest would be a massive understatement.

I had swell TV who were supposed to be covering the event following me around constantly for the first few days, they said that we were the only interesting subject there, and when i headed for the water there was a paparazzi camera scramble ...

Then the management ( NZ surfing ) figured out what was going on and laid down the law.. NO filming Roy, anymore, lots of filming Maz Quinn ( who wasn't even surfing).

Needless to say we had a ball, especially surfing a 13'9" 70 pounder on the Manu Bay ledge in sizeable low tide conditions in the Open division, and sliding the point in front of the entire Saturday crowd when heats were postponed due to no surf.

:lol:

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:56 pm

Roy, That was Gold.
Nice to see your fun side.
But could you unpack this one please :?
Roy_Stewart wrote:
Needless to say we had a ball, especially surfing a 13'9" 70 pounder on the Manu Bay ledge in sizeable low tide conditions in the Open division, and sliding the point in front of the entire Saturday crowd when heats were postponed due to no surf.

:lol:

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:37 pm

Umm do you mean that you'd like more details?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:28 pm

kreepykrawly wrote:Outside Wicks surf shop Collaroy …accompanying a large image of someone surfing are the words “I like surfing because nobody can tell me how to do it”
This should be carved in granite outside bondi pavilion. Definitely no one who tried to teach the motley collection of misfits that grace Bondi has had much success.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?