worst summer ever?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

nubby
charger

worst summer ever?

Post by nubby » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:51 pm

has this summer been the flattest/worst in sydney you can remember? i think it has, the only other one that comes close i can think of was the summer of 92/93 or 93/94, (cant remember which one it was, but those of you who were surfing then will know the one i mean). but i think this one has been even worse than that. what do you reckon?

Surfchaser
Grommet

Post by Surfchaser » Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:01 pm

I'm new here, so I can't answer that. But I do remember California being this flat during one summer. It was painfully long between swells.
Let's hope things change, and soon!

- SC

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:55 pm

yeah that summer back then was rediculous
i remember 3months of flatness at cronulla then, but theres allways been long flat summers and everyone (including me) allways goes ... Oh this is soo flat, but we probably live on the wrong size of australia.
that summer when ever it was was soo bad, i remember every single day of uni holidays was 3 inch drible.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Chonie

Post by Chonie » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:24 am

yes :cry:

fidel

Flat Spell

Post by fidel » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:07 pm

I too remember that flat spell about 8 or 9 years ago, though that was a real flat spell ie absolutely nothing. I remmeber paddling out in 1ft dribble and getting excited cause it was the biggest it had been in about 10 days. This summers waves have indeed been small but definitely surfable. Sure no long lasting ground swells but I think as long as wqe can get wet at least a few times a week we shouldn't complain and remember it could always be worse.

Dave
regular
Location: Central coast, out the back, 6 foot and glassy, no crowds

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:45 pm

Hey fidel,

you are far more patient than me...

...bring on the big stuff, Im going mental!

Ian M

Post by Ian M » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:05 pm

Murphy's Law; you have some time off work and it'll be flat, you are at work and.....

Yeah it's been crap, have been getting excited by two footers...well c'mon thats two foot, gotta be positive.

I thought it was cyclone season? Does this mean that with all the out of season seasons we're getting, we'll get caned next year like Europe is now?

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:42 pm

I remember that flat summer, it was 92/93 I think. But up until this November I thought 2003 was one of the most consistent years for good solid swell in recent memory. But November to January is always the crappest time of year for waves. Hopefully February we start to get some possible cyclone action and then it keeps on crankin.
Do you think that repeated regular checking of all the weather and ocean forcast websites can help bring the swell up? I am checking things 2 or 3 times a day at the moment and all the forecast are just crap -- aaarrrgh!!

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:18 pm

SA was having a great summer up until a week after NYs... Looks like it's about to get a little better though :D

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:06 pm

yes barstardos, 2003 was the bomb. from may till september i hardly surfed a beachie, local reefs and points just cranked for days. i broke 5 boards, racked up thousands of km's goin down south and surfed a ton of spots ive never surfed before......it was an epic year.

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:20 pm

ihavent bin around 2 many summers but this 1 has bin crap - other than d ONE swell we have had its bin crap. i got lucky at bells on nu years day tho - sic 4'-8'. but then i got home 2 find 1' shore-break every-fucken-where. i rememba last summer, towards d end of febuary we had 1 arvo with perfect surf at newport. the peak bank was perfect both ways n secrets n cove were goin off. other than the crowds (which were the worst iv ever seen at newport) it was perfect conditions. cept just as i was paddling out sum dude broke his leg (i heard he got 2 deep in d barrel n just fucked up his leg sumhow)
we need swell before people start goin insane

Luke
Local

Post by Luke » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:41 pm

there is always wave's to be found! that's my motto, on the northern beach's it was flat as SSE swell direction went down toward's bronte, really good clean 2-3ft's ;)

and with this N'ly swell i'll probably head up toward's newcastle who know's!

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:12 am

yeah luke there's usually waves somewhere, but this consistent crap we are having is denting the enthusiasm of even super amped crew. i work the super late shift and get off in time to have some food, check the swell and wind on the pc then head out for a dawnie. but lately ive been just checkin it without a board cause i cant be bothered draggin everything out and back in. and you know its been bad when it gets 2ft or 3ft for half a day and you run in to people who tell ya "it was PUMPING this arvo."

dan
regular

Post by dan » Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:52 am

Luke, don't bother about coming up to newy. It's not much better up here I can tell you. Although we are getting a marginal increase over the amount of swell sydney is getting, crowds are horrible. I'm waiting for the water to become cold to sort out the men from the boys. Bring on winter!

Luke
Local

Post by Luke » Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:15 pm

Didn't end up going to newy,

thanks for the pre-caution :)

nomad

Post by nomad » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:57 pm

has been bad on the Sunny Coast too but not as bad as you guys! one good swell in Jan, but small since then.

blindboy

Post by blindboy » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:52 am

I'm not going to tell you how far back my memory goes but this is definitely the worst, the only one comparable was the one already mentioned at the start of the nineties......but if you are keen and know the way these little wind swells behave there has been something to surf most days......just keep reminding yourself that small waves are a really good tune up, they sharpen your timing, increase your speed of movement etc.....I'm not saying it's true, but it's a good thing to talk yourself into!

Christo

Post by Christo » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:25 am

Its killing me ... took 2 boards to the goldcoast week before last and ended up not even unpacking them !! ended up selling one and picking up a new stick .. all waxed up and no place to go .. aaahhh