Ipswich: Australia's newest international surf destination

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ipswich: Australia's newest international surf destinati

Post by alakaboo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:51 pm

yep, lashed to the desk.

bobbychariot

Post by bobbychariot » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:05 pm

The idea of wave pools is a good one – they could have lots of positive benefits. But I have lots of concerns about how they develop. Number one concern is I dont like the idea of riding a wave generated by burning coal – to succeed they need to be developed along permaculture lines – meaning once built they are self sustaining – generating their own energy from solar & wind power. The channel nine news story the other night showed a clearfelled forest west of the goldy as a possible site – this is totally unethical & should be rejected – can we really justify wiping out dwindling Koala habitat - for a wave fix? no.

An ideal site would be an undulating cow paddock where you could have a series of dams upslope collecting water to supply the pool which could be located down the slope – with reed beds in between the dams & pool & after water leaves the pool to filter the water , this way you would not need to use chlorine & all that toxic crap they put in pools, & also you would'nt need to pay someone to clean it. You could plant windbreak trees around the pool so its always glassy & shady in summer.

I'd like to see rural councils get them built in their districts & charge just a small entrance fee – none of this pay per wave tourist park mentality – it would all be conducive to a mellow laidback atmosphere – much like at a skatepark where everyone has a few runs then chill out & relax & let someone else have a go.

I'm not for or against wave pools ( that's irrelevant) they are going to happen. I just hope Webber & Slater have got good ethics & develop a sustainable model – time will tell.

If it gets into hands of money hungry developers – it will be a joke

bobbychariot

Post by bobbychariot » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Wooly - Thats why I'm suggeting doing them permaculturally ( theres a good scrabble word).The building cost is the main expense - then they would require alot less cost to run. If our Guv can find $ 38 billion to invade Iraq & Afganistan - surely they can find the bucks to help subsidise the building of a few wavepools.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:52 pm

fongss wrote:is anyone familar with surf/tidal generated power
A little.
fongss wrote:what if the pools contained a form of these

perpetual motion engine anyone the waves energy as it hits the wall is put thu a turbine too power ....the next wave ( or part therefore) i've said too much
Nup, the yield is too low.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:40 am

fongss wrote:Ok...i give up....i still dont quite get the hatred of wavepools...to me it looks like fun...plus u can still surf in the ocean every other day
I can imagine could b good way master a new move, get a surf in on a flat day,avoid crazy crowds and can see myself using it can help my fin r&d
With the wave a constant known :idea:
They might be shit....they might be great

This does remind me of the great legrope debates

And your all wearing them now arent ya
:wink:
far out, I don't hate wave pools! I just don't see why anyone wants 'em. Other than people who'd be trying to make money from 'em.

I think they would be a huge and swiftly recognised waste of money and resources given what's currently freely available, I think the argument about reducing crowds is nonsense, and I don't think they're really surfing as such, but other that that I don't give much of a shit either way. If eventually down the track somewhere you can use one to help you surf better, well that would be good.

btw fongy I still think surfing without a leggie is better, if you can get away with it, they tangle around you, drag etc. So the argument against 'em, rather than being the "oh god it is not Soulful, you're a kook if you use one, it's gonna be crowded, ruin the sport" etc nonsense of 1974 or whenever, is instead purely down to function. Does it work or doesn't it?

Re flying to Tahiti, etc, with respect, you don't know anything about what I might be doing or not doing to help offset stuff like that or where I might be investing money in future sustainable technologies, so let's just leave it at that eh.
Last edited by Nick Carroll on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:45 am

Nick, im on night shift, whats your excuse being up so late/early???

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:54 am

I'm in fcuken Tahiti, it's four hours ahead (well 20 hours behind really)

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Logging on in the middle of the night to post edited quotes.
How fcuken pathetic.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Personally, I am loving bobby's suggestion of a perpetual motion, free-wave energy machine.

Rather than costing money to run and killing the envronment, it could use surfer's energy to drive the turbines that make the waves that the surfers surf. Now if you added some surf rage, the thing could be hooked up to the grid and actually be cash-positive. Talk about converting negative energy to positive.

You could also use the piss and stray fecal matter in the water for fertillizing surrounding vegetation, attracting a myriad of wildlife and saving on nasty chemicals.

still here
charger

Post by still here » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:19 pm

yeah well , the opportunity to pay more for airtickets "to offset carbon ' is always there .... I've just yet to meet someone who actually ticks the box and pays it !!.- .... whats with supporting a carbon tax but DECLINING paying extra and saving us from climate doom ?

BTW , I'd be really interested to hear about Nick's or anyone else's private contribution in offsetting carbon (di-oxide) .....
Investment in sustainable energy sounds noble , provided you make a buck !
Medical and food productivity investments would also be noble , ....... but I'm sure you'd also want come out front . (otherwise just call it a donation and it'll be tax deductible ! )

Wave pools ?? ..... they've also got to make a buck , provide jobs , fuel the economy (pardon the pun ).... but they're entitled to , ..... and the surf tour and industry is also a money spinning venture .

Someone WILL take the risk and make the investment .... if it's not a great success , then there wont be massive queues .... it'll be a novelty with people taking turns and chilling "like at a skate park" . Sounds nice .
If it's a runaway success and big queueing etc ..... they'll build more . win-win
There's actually nothing to be scared of :!:

I'm personally not jetting around the globe surfing , so a few perfect waves every month or so between the mediocre slop at my local would be quite nice -thank you very much .

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:59 pm

fongss wrote:
is anyone familar with surf/tidal generated power :?: ....what if the pools contained a form of these :idea:
Yep I know that :!: It's solar powered if you go into the fine detail there is no transport infrstructure for power needed most of the time it is self cleaning and recycling of the water and supports wild life. It's called a beach
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:31 am

Why don't they use nuclear power to run it?. There's a cheap nuclear power plant on japanese Ebay, some place called fookkashimi or something. Just needs a few small repairs. No bids yet.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:05 pm

that wavepool they have in dubai is shit
thats not the one they are copying is it?
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:12 am

I'd rather go to Leyland Brothers world.

As for artificial reefs, stop being so f%cking greedy.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:43 am

As for artificial reefs, I've sat in a room full of really bright people who know shiteloads about the Aus coast and the processes that affect it.

Boo knows alot of 'em.

There's very good evidence that reefs with a coastal protection element bought into the equation could be extremely valuable at mitigating erosion.

Hard structure also acts as great habitat for the development of flourishing marine ecosystems, as anyone who has dove a wreck is aware of.

I could see a series of cheap artifical reef systems on urban coasts acting as a crowd thinner.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:09 am

steve shearer wrote:As for artificial reefs, I've sat in a room full of really bright people who know shiteloads about the Aus coast and the processes that affect it.

Boo knows alot of 'em.

There's very good evidence that reefs with a coastal protection element bought into the equation could be extremely valuable at mitigating erosion.

Hard structure also acts as great habitat for the development of flourishing marine ecosystems, as anyone who has dove a wreck is aware of.

I could see a series of cheap artifical reef systems on urban coasts acting as a crowd thinner.
A voice of reason, thankyou.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

gabsouy
regular

Post by gabsouy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:19 am

can anyone remember mid 70s, ian cairns push for artificial reefs north of perth ,yanchep sun city ,lancelin areas featured in surfing world 1975 -1976 ?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:22 am

Washington Post ran a story on the economics of surfing this week:
wapo.st/T43Od7