What's to be done with SUPs

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

sambo43

What's to be done with SUPs

Post by sambo43 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:29 am

How does everyone else here handle SUPs in the lineup? A triumvirate of arseholes has already infested one of my locals without, it would seem, any knowledge of surfing etiquette or simple give and take. Unfortunately I think the truth is bleaker: they just don't give a f8ck.

I was out at Crescent yesterday, surfing the golf nets to get away from the crowd, I blink, and suddenly there's three of the pests surrounded me like f8cking wasps, sitting furthest out, picking off the sets. To make matters worse, they then decide to drop in on all and sundry. Saw one of the pricks in the carpark later and he had the temerity to say, "So, did you get some out there? Felt a bit of c8nt taking some of those waves, but couldn't help myself." I'm not making that up. His exact words.

I put it down to my continuing regimen of Buddhism and prozac that I didn't smack him.

Thing is: they seem to get away with it. I didn't smack him. Why not? OK, so I'm not smacking kinda guy, but why hasn't someone else smacked 'em. Localism doesn't cut it for me: in my opinion, SUPs are not real surfcraft and have no place in the lineup and thus no rights, regardless of any presumed local status.

So what's the answer? How do we turn the tide? There's a whole generation of corporate w8nkers about to retire who are no doubt looking at SUPs and thinking, "Hmmm, I can do that." How do we eradicate the pests and consign them and their standup goat boats to the rubbish bin of surfing history?
Last edited by sambo43 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Natho
barnacle

Re: What's to be done with SUPs

Post by Natho » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:47 am

I just watched an SUP nearly take out about 3 or 4 people at my local, then I came in and read this thread.

Very simple.Like the jet ski they should have to keep a good distance from any paddling surfer.

Give em hell out in the line up and let it be known that they are not welcome.****

saucy gibbon
barnacle

Post by saucy gibbon » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:41 am

are you the same cnuts that whinge about the nanny state ?

just what we need, more bloody rules

maybe surf where they aint ? :roll:
Uni is not the real world.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:12 am

hey sambo, get rid of the SUPs and Mals from crescent at the same time...legropes too....getaway....the surf reserve....interenet swell reports...mobile phones

bring back the "good old days" (geek) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:22 am

Oh not that stupid frkin argument again.Thats the sort of toss off w@nk you would expect from someone like oldman.

sambo43

Post by sambo43 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:50 am

saucy gibbon wrote:are you the same cnuts that whinge about the nanny state ?

just what we need, more bloody rules

maybe surf where they aint ? :roll:

Your logic doesn't make much sense to me, Saucy Gibbon. But Hey, thanks for your contribution. :roll:

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Kind of a tricky one, this. Usually when they turn up I have an "oh-shit-no" moment, but usually it doesn't turn out as bad as that initial reaction. I've even had some good sessions in amongst packs of SUPs, mainly because they've acted as a bit of a repellant to other shortboarders. This morning, for instance, Longy was swarming with SUPs, including a SUP contest in front of the lugga, but there were just so many waves coming through it didn't matter. I was more worried about the kamakazie longboarders and clueless newbies. There are also some SUP regulars who seem to have cottoned onto the idea of sharing and I find these guys okay. Also the experienced surfers who step-up to a SUP when conditions dictate are usually okay. I would get pissed if I was having a quite surf on a lonely bank and a SUP turned up and proceeded to catch every wave coming through. What would I do? Probably either go in or go somewhere else. If the same person later asked in the carpark if I'd got a few I'd probably politely suggest that it might be a good idea if they shared a bit more in the future. Even just saying g'day out in the lineup can turn you from an object into a person who might also want to catch a few. That can have positive results. Verbal or physical confrontation is most likely going to be counterproductive, in one way or another.

And if you don't think SUPs are legitimate surfcraft, this clip on Coastalwatch might change your mind - http://www.coastalwatch.com/news/articl ... 0&cateId=3&

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:26 pm

If you're a greedy longboarder complaining about SUP's "SUCK SHIT".
Out at my local point this morning which was infested with a pack of "gotta have every single wave" pack of longboarders.
There's no way to compete with a pack sitting 20 metres further out and group paddling for waves when you're on a shortboard. :roll:
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:41 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:If you're a greedy longboarder complaining about SUP's "SUCK SHIT".
Out at my local point this morning which was infested with a pack of "gotta have every single wave" pack of longboarders.
There's no way to compete with a pack sitting 20 metres further out and group paddling for waves when you're on a shortboard. :roll:
Exactly...I take a long and a short, decide what I'll use when I arrive at the destination.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:57 pm

I rarely surf locations where mals can be ridden. Problem solved.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:54 pm

Wingnut wrote:
Cuttlefish wrote:If you're a greedy longboarder complaining about SUP's "SUCK SHIT".
Exactly...I take a long and a short, decide what I'll use when I arrive at the destination.
I could partake in the arms race (I've tried it) but I don't actually enjoy riding longboards all that much. :shock:
When I do ride a longboard I'm always conscious of my wave count and make sure I let some go through for others to enjoy. :) The Sunday morning swarm throw the rule book out the window unfortunately. :roll:
Only a rat can win the rat race.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:09 pm

Being a bit self-destructive, when SUPs and longboards want to mow me down, they can expect a collision.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:25 pm

Grim but true.

Get over yaselves.

You want to deal with SUP riders, use your surfing skills. It really is not that hard. Most SUPpers are fcuken hopeless ... old semi-kooks who falteringly believe they are on the edge of a Waterman Rebirth via "core strength" or whatever. Sadly they will find themselves mistaken. In the meantime, why be nasty to them? Just catch good waves from a better slot.

Truly, you don't have any other recourse...unless you're a member of a local boardriders club who more or less controls the break. In which case you can dictate terms to anyone.

If they get the better of you, wow, well you might want to ask yourself some hard questions. A bit like Wests Tigers right now.

saucy gibbon
barnacle

Post by saucy gibbon » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:01 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:
saucy gibbon wrote: ... maybe surf where they aint ? :roll:
OK, explain the practicality of that ^^^ ... you got strong southerly / south easterly winds, a bit of swell and the only protect spot is the north side of a well know headland ... actually the choice of three ... each about 30mins apart ... with each spot having SUP's out ...

Where do you go they are not?

As the numbers on SUP's increase, so too the problems ...

If you gonna say go early ... they are there at dawn too ... see it a heap of times, although, gotta admit, the dawn patrol SUP riders, seem to have more respect, manners and ability so less of a problem.

By the sounds of your post, can I be forgiven for thinking you are SUP rider who causes problems like the OP notes?
work it out for yourself

i live in sydney and rarely encounter them and when i do it's not that much of a drama
Uni is not the real world.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:13 pm

Where I live all the sup surfers are good shortboarders, it's the only way you are going to get in the water and stay fit, they are the natural enemy of the longboarder, so what not to like about them :D
I can see problems in the more crowded parts of the coast where some of them have never even surfed before.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:43 pm

I'm still debating which is worse the novices who lose it constantly in the crowd but hardly catch any waves or the good ones who snare all the waves ...and lose it in the middle of the crowd. You have to give both of them a wide birth and expect them to go for every set wave and a)Lose it on the take off b)Miss the take off or c)Catch every set wave. :? :? :?
Who's going to sit next to an SUP and hassle them for a wave?
They have oars and are standing over you.
Should be in the harbour really.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:58 pm

There was your archetype kook on one late today out bondi. I got the shits with him picking off the sets and flailing away down the inside, so began to drop in, or paddle in front of him. Definitely not my style, but I invoked the MP mongrel/bastard for some reason today. Not a peep out of him.
Then he left, and another one appears, this time he's a familiar shortboarder on a small sup. He's got a good grip on the dark art, but he's 'oiing' off everyone, claiming way too many waves to be acceptable. I got fed up and let him know. He ignored me so i sat inside of him and took off after he'd gained some ground on the wave. Figured what the heck, i whistled him (invoking Him, again) and after a few of these he got the message, gave me a knowing , wry grin, and backed off, waiting his turn for the sets.
So, I reckon there's ways and means of controlling their behaviour if you stand your ground out there and let them know that they're putting holes in their manners if they pose a problem.
Best get used to them. They're growing like mushroom spores.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:06 am

Using ones skills to get the better of em is one thing, but most these fkcers are out of control and simply dangerous.At mt local yesterday the SUP that nearly sent 3 people to hospital was trying to go over a wave, not take off on it.He let his frkin board go in the middle of the line up.