Michael Peterson dead...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Re: Michael Peterson dead...

Post by jimmy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:57 pm

Larry wrote:You're not getting out of here until you buy me the schooner that's been owed since 1998 Glider - I keep records you know.
Brilliant PB. My hat is tipped and there's a tear as well.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:26 pm

MY comment on mental illness is a story, I had three stepsons who had two bipolar/ schizophrenic genetic lines come together for the Russian Roulette of their illness, two sons took the drug taking route Cannabis exstacy and amphetamines, booth went fully into schizophrenia. Youngest committed suicide at 19 the next is just coming to insight whilst being fully medicated with similar stuff to Collnarra ( Kudos mate for your sharing), went the fat lethagic come ammotivated route, at almost 40 he has just had an episode where he drank 70% of his pancreas to death he almost went too he has lost 30% 0f his lung capacity from smoking ( both attempts at self medication).
His near death has given him some insight and a family makeover of his entire household structure may help in giving him the capacity to eat and live healthily, he has lost 25Kgs since coming out of hospital, he understands three things clearly, if he stops the antipsychotic medications, his schizophrenia will return, if he drinks he will die, and his life will be shorter if he smokes.
He is on an invalid pension for life. In helping him my wife and I have learnt much about ourselves and much more about the beliefs people outside the spectrum of mental illness hold about it.

If you are a family in the true sense then mental illness effects the entire family, the response within the family differ and can help or hinder the situation greatly as does interaction from the outside.

There are others here on the forum deal with similar issues guiding their children out of ADD and ADHD and the Autistic spectrum, same deal really unless you are in it you don't really have the full picture on how it effect everyone.
I know crew that have had the marriage bust or strengthened they have thought of suicide themselves.

Some of you I know personally some I have PMed, the rest I just say strength and peace to you.

My comment. Lay off the judgement, support our crew who are going through it.
Simply put MPs mum deserves all the credit she can get for doing her best and a fair swag of relief that it is now over, grief yes and healing for her too!
MP a great surfer un-equaled in his surfing and a troubled soul . and others have the troubled route to follow if they don't have the high profile that MP had they and their families deal with it in silence

Mental health issues should be spoken about and hopefully understood as much as possible, then maybe some compassion and some space to give help may be found.
Thoughtless comments STFU.

IMHO the usual RS slanging matches are of no benefit whatsoever on this issue.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:33 pm

^^^ Some very insightful words. Thanks and good to hear.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:58 pm

jimmy wrote: Can this thread please get back to the fact that MP is gone. Please.
Im going make the effort surf my 35yr old single fin day his funeral :idea:

While its zero do with me.....be nice if there is only.1 paddle out for him....kirra would b fitting...and no logos appear in the footage :roll:

To me....mp was more than just a great surfer....he seemed like the true aussie surfing animal....winning comps than sticking his finger too the sponsers....the
system

What was shaun tompsons famous quote :arrow: mp held back pro surfing in this country :?: if only we had a few more like him...maybe the asp wouldnt b so boring and going broke :!:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:02 pm

Great to see all this footage of him coming out. I remember at the time it always seemed like there was never enough. Apart from guys like Alby and Tracks generally it seemed like other sections of the surf media were looking for a cleaner image. Great they put the whole doco up.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:03 pm

Its not lost,on me the day his death saw one the best days of surf in qld i can remember.... 8)

Maybe the ocean was saying its own special goodbye :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:06 pm

Wish I was there. Presumably it will be flat by the time I get there over easter.
I'll definitely be sharing a few MP stories with some old friends then.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:35 am

mate qld is headed into the finest swell cycle of the decade so far, Easter will be excellent!

surf ya brains out.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:16 am

daryl wrote:beanpiles and
'digger',

I know a few mum's with dead sons, one mum is dead and the other is still alive, so looking at both sides,
it's about someone who's dead, not his mum.

It is about her son, who is dead not about her AT ALL

Are you both mentally R E T A R D E D ?

Rest in peace mate.
Dazz, You cannot separate the two. They have been inextricably linked for all their lives. And when we remember MP, we would be doing her an injustice if we didn't think about her as well.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:51 pm

^^^
Well said wingydingy.

But, I'm out of the water for a week or so. :twisted:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:58 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll just have to find something to do to pass the time :roll: :roll: :roll:
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:36 pm

I have a selection blondes or brunetts...waiting meet u right now! Beany :idea:
:mrgreen:

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:01 pm

As many of you may know, I was lucky enough to shoot some 16mm footage of Michael in 1977 at Kirra, the Stubbies and Winki Pop. When I heard he died, I got some of it out and put some of the Winki Pop footage together with a tune. I know Collnarra and Larry have seen it and maybe Nick, but it hasn't been shown much and this is the first time I've put any online. There are some words with the video as well. You can see it here: http://www.realsurf.com/2012/03/30/vide ... p-in-1977/

Some exceptionally courageous posts too Josh and Otoway. My best wishes to you.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:10 pm

That was fcuking hot. So much expression and artistry in that surfing as well as some bastardry.

Good luck with the edit.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

gabsouy
regular

Post by gabsouy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:41 pm

that was beautiful don...thanks for sharing.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks Don. Good stuff.
Beanpole

Skipper

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:27 pm

Nice one Don. Thankyou.

I spoke to Fred just then and he said thanks for the link and is humbled by the support he's received from his articles. Matt Warshaw especially.

He also said that if you want to send him some of your footage he will publish it on the OZ site and obviously credit you and happily link to any movie you might produce.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:01 pm

Great footage, Don.

Saw some sort of memorial circle in the water out at Maroubra yesterday. Guess it must have been for MP but I dunno really.
Thought I would sneak out and snare a few while they did it in memory of MP.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?