Mallacoota - need advice on best surf accommodation

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mallacoota - need advice on best surf accommodation

Post by Shari » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:41 am

Heya guys,

The title says it all. Driving to Mel-Bun on Sunday and planning to surf my way down there. Just gonna get to Mel-Bun when I do. I know the east coast as far as the border, have surfed most places all the way to Tathra, but once south, oh boy, no clue. Always wanted to check out Mallacoota. So, damn it, thats what I'm gonna do.

I'm happy to rock into town whenever I get there and just go with the flow, find myself somewhere to crash based on what I sees and what I feels, like I did through 27 countries before the internet came around and when phone calls home cost $1.38/minute. But hey, if you guys can recommend the spot to stay WHERE I CAN SEE THE SURF then that's where I'll go. Gonna be on my own, so if there's somewhere that I can have a coupla beers and a burger without problem, that'd be good to know about too.

Thanks for taking the time to answer anyone that does. :)

Shari xx

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Mallacoota - need advice on best surf accommodation

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:13 am

Don't know that area Shari but hope you have a good trip.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:14 pm

There isn't anywhere you can see the surf from any accommodation, you can from the south end of the camping ground, great view actually. Can't recommend any thing have stayed there heaps but always camp, take your camping gear as if you think you are going to get any sort of accommodation on the Ocean road over Easter your dreaming , it's booked out. Mallacoota is a beautiful place, very fickle surf.

There is a place just at the end of the main street on the corner, over looks the inlet and camping ground, very good food, not a big place, modern with a fair sot of deck can't remember the name, easy to find.

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks heaps crustt. btw: It won't be easter as I travel. I'll be back before that, just a couple of days on the way down and same on the way back. You're right I think, it would be booked out completely, but I am hoping not the week before all the kiddies get out.

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:37 pm

today, a friend at the beach suggested Marlo instead of mallacoota. Like you crustt, he said nothing in Mallacoota was near surf. Crazy as I had always understood Mallacoota to be the last surf spot in Vic before you cross the border back into nsw. Dunno.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:11 pm

You can get accomodaton within about 300m of the beach at bastion point , you just can't see it. There's some holiday flats on your right the last property on Bastion point road, I think. Heaps of accommodation in town only a one km drive to the surf, check the beaches to the west of town. Marlo's 4 hrs further to drive, alot less surf there.
Take care driving between Eden and Lakes Entrance, it's a dangerous road.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:14 pm

One of the beautiful things about Mallacoota is, you can't see any houses while you are out in the water, or even on the beach.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:00 pm

Cape Conran, just down from Marlo is nice, the point can handle good sized East & Westerlies...

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:14 pm

You mentioned you had surfed the NSW coast to Tathra, there are three breaks between Tathra and the border that I would rate a good chance to score, South based swell go to ...........bula at the north end of the bay and if a north based swell go to .............bula at the south end of the bay, the ...........bula breaks are fickle and need the wind the opposite to swell direction but then again doesn't any decent offshore supply that.

Then drive past the remains of trees to Saltwater if you want a decent heavier wave righthander.
BTW for any haters, none of these are secret spots and you have to have right alignment of the planets to get them.

Anyway Shari if you are in ........bula town or there about PM me.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:15 am

You guys are great. Thanks so much for advice. In Eden this morning. Didn't get here til late and wasn't game to sleep in the car if no accomm open in Mallacoota. Gonna check that out this morning. Then down to Marlo for an arvo surf (I hope).

Squidlips
barnacle

Post by Squidlips » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:50 pm

there is surf at mallacoota.
the dog friendly campsite is awesome and the place has a relaxed vibe

you can see the break from the south end of the site, at the lookout.
the break is on the right hand side of the sand spit. looks rather exposed so you need good wind etc.

the fishing off the campsite jetties is great too.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:32 pm

3ft of east swell enough for Saltwater, anyone?

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:05 pm

buddy wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:32 pm
3ft of east swell enough for Saltwater, anyone?
No, needs a bit more