Quiksilver Pro 2012

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Quiksilver Pro 2012

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:06 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: It's because the ski gets the surfers in position quicker for the next wave.

I noticed Kelly and Joycey were doing it. And ultimately it was how Ace beat JJ.

Paddling back out allowed the guys to get the waves which would run inside. The bigger ones on the outside of the rock – where the ski drops off guys – would pitch violently and then die. But the smaller ones were walling up and connecting inside.

I love watching snapper, if for nothing else, the tactics which separate the wheat from the chaff.

* See that little analogy underlined. I'm getting my Beef Week on already. You gonna come and join me for the worst 24 hours of your life?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:23 pm

It bores me, that removed from a normal surfing experence its hard take anything from it, other than the hype and marketing :

There busting airs like they just dont care :roll:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

saucy gibbon
barnacle

Post by saucy gibbon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:54 pm

Braithy wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote: It's because the ski gets the surfers in position quicker for the next wave.

I noticed Kelly and Joycey were doing it. And ultimately it was how Ace beat JJ.

Paddling back out allowed the guys to get the waves which would run inside. The bigger ones on the outside of the rock – where the ski drops off guys – would pitch violently and then die. But the smaller ones were walling up and connecting inside.

I love watching snapper, if for nothing else, the tactics which separate the wheat from the chaff.
i couldnt imagine anything more tedious or as far removed from the enjoyment i get from surfing
Uni is not the real world.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:12 pm

here's my two cents, I was at the connest the last 3 days, mainly getting some photos.

waves were "ok", actually super wind affected and sooo many missing the bank, but the sets were bombing saturday, that's for sure. Did they over-hype this on the webcast? it was not even close to good snapper.

I'll skip the obvious belly-aching about non-stop brand loyalty marketing to 13 year olds.

seeing Dane land those airs in round one was incredible. It sucks he lost, and I noted a 6.5 for one of them was a weak score. Probably the last time I'll ever see him surf in a connest.

kelly looks good, hardly raising a sweat really, definitely got a lot more to burn. Taj may have done a Taj and spent his load to soon though.

Jordy Smith should be the favourite for this event really, considering his power, ability to land airs, and get scores at will in junky surf, it just seems since he's lost the killer instinct since K. Slater crushed his 2010 title dreams.

it sucked to see Fanning bomb out, I was on the rocks watching and he messed up twice. Got suckered into a small weak one by Pupo and then missing a good set in the last minute.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:20 pm

Each to their own Fong.

Watching Kelly, or Dane or possibly even Taj or Joycey surf the way they do, on waves that I know well, is alright to me.

Just Kelly alone though... made an air drop into a closeout, then somehow beat a 20 foot wall of closeout with a series of foam climbs, and then surf it right down past little marley. If I was out the back, I woulda let that same wave go as a closeout.

It changes the way I look at waves. I got a few waves at another way less crowded point yesterday arvo, and fresh with what I'd seen on the weekend, applied the bits I'm capable of, to my own surfing. Ended up having some great waves. Normally I wouldn't have even paddled out into onshore crumblers like that, but there I was.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:32 pm

Im not saying its a bad thing braith....hell knows it keeps a sh.itload hangers oners gainfully employed gushing over it
:roll:

P.s mals have more fun in slop :lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:34 pm

Womble wrote:
haysie wrote: that bloke from Byron
Good to see TB win out against that bloke from California ... old whats his name.

Messiah my arse ... hipster ... ha ha ha ... all hip no star ... overrated and over scored.
laughable. Dane is hands down the best surfer on the planet at the moment. excepting tube masters at dream waves like Slater, Jamie O and Florence. Didn't you see him cream Joel Parkinson at this same contest in 2010? probably not.

please show me a more spontaneous, powerful and exciting surfer to watch.
you don't rate him because he isn't a contest-minded jock.

i've surfed with occy out plenty of times and he's fine. doesn't drop in on kooks or kids when he could easily. i think he used to get a bad wrap.
fanning i the king of superbank and can take off the deepest so he deserves to rule the lineup.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:17 pm

How the feck was Parko's ride a 10 point ride?. Yes he surfed it exceptionally well....but 10 points!!! You've got to be kidding me. If that's a 10 point ride then we'll be seeing a few 10's awarded for the remaining heat's this afternoon then. (ie where have the judges left themselves to go, other than shooting out 10 point rides left right and centre now!!).

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:00 pm

black duck wrote:
steve shearer wrote:have to admit to enjoying standing just off Rosies' side when the interviews are on..... :oops:
Hope that camera doesn't pull out too far.
Just off to the side, probably the best place to be Outsider.
Still rather be Insider,eh Duck.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:08 pm

el rancho wrote:
Womble wrote:
haysie wrote: that bloke from Byron
Good to see TB win out against that bloke from California ... old whats his name.

Messiah my arse ... hipster ... ha ha ha ... all hip no star ... overrated and over scored.
laughable. Dane is hands down the best surfer on the planet at the moment. excepting tube masters at dream waves like Slater, Jamie O and Florence. Didn't you see him cream Joel Parkinson at this same contest in 2010? probably not.

please show me a more spontaneous, powerful and exciting surfer to watch.
you don't rate him because he isn't a contest-minded jock.
Wow ... I baited that crab trap two days ago ... and only managed to catch one yabby ... the fishing here is almost as sad as the surfing.

Anyway not rating a surfer ... as you incorrectly interpreted the fish frames in the dilly pot ... has naught to do with them being a contest jock or not ... if you read the statement as it was written ... and verbatim I will quote it ... OVERRATED ... that doesn't mean not rated ... its means rated ... just not as highly as thought ... overcooked.

Back on topic ... Fong ... it seems that elrancho and I have been standing on those nasty sharp rocks at Snapper ... snapping snap of overpaid hacks attacks on something resembling waves ... whilst waiting patiently for you to appear with that bus load of mutton slops from the sunny hoax ... when will ewe be arriving with the entourage.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:18 pm

^^^^^^^^^

No Womble, you missed my point. Dane is actually not overrated. He deserves all the hype he gets. Go through the free videos on his blog and tell me he isn't the gnarliest guy going. He just goes all out on every wave, nice style and huge airs (I am not a 'hi-fi' aerial fan at the best of times)

please name a better surfer in 2012.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:20 pm

alakaboo wrote:
black duck wrote:
steve shearer wrote:have to admit to enjoying standing just off Rosies' side when the interviews are on..... :oops:
Hope that camera doesn't pull out too far.
Just off to the side, probably the best place to be Outsider.
Still rather be Insider,eh Duck.

all things considered, it's a no-brainer Boo
:mrgreen: :!:
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:56 pm

el rancho wrote:^^^^^^^^^
Dane is actually overrated. He deserves all he gets. Go through the free videos on his blog and tell me he is. He just goes out on every wave, nice style and hair (I am not a fan at the best of times)

please name a surfer in 2012.
Hey ... I'm taking the piss ... I couldn't be bothered with how others perceive his greatness ... or lack of desire ... he lives the life ... good on him.

More importantly ... what are you shooting the action with.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:34 pm

ah yeah, watch Dane's cuttie at around 1.20 on this clip and tell me if it beats anything anyone even attempted at Snapper today hands down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g4MaV4m ... r_embedded

fcuk he is ridiculous.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Yeah, that was sik.
Bit of a fluke. But so would a three way be between him, Rosie and me.
That's if :wink:

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:54 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:fcuk he is ridiculous.
No ... wearing a clown suit and attempting to juggle two cats and a chain saw whilst surfing would be ridiculous ... fcuking funny ... but ridiculous.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:44 am

Womble wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:fcuk he is ridiculous.
No ... wearing a clown suit and attempting to juggle two cats and a chain saw whilst surfing would be ridiculous ... fcuking funny ... but ridiculous.
Nick Carroll wrote:ah yeah, watch Dane's cuttie at around 1.20 on this clip and tell me if it beats anything anyone even attempted at Snapper today hands down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g4MaV4m ... r_embedded
Wouldn't mind being able to do that.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Great turn. And some great surfing by Dane. I'm a bit over the unrequited man love for Dane though. He's got some mongrel in his surfing as well as all the moves...if not for the contrived hipsterdom he could be a closet Aussie...but it's all a bit much for me.

Me? I reckon there's 10 or so guys, most of them on the world tour, who on their day surf at a ridiculously high level and on that day can probably claim to be the best in the world. Consistently across a range of conditions though Slater seems to be that best surfermore often than not. For 3 years Reynolds surfed exactly the same conditions as his peers. He was judged on the same criteria. No-one is claiming Reynolds was robbed of a world title. How'd he go?

1 Kelly Slater
2 Joel Parkinson
3 Owen Wright
4 Taj Burrow
5 Adriano De Souza
38 Dane Reynolds

1.Kelly Slater
2 Jordy Smith
3 Mick Fanning
4 Taj Burrow
4 Dane Reynolds

1 Mick Fanning