Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

User avatar
Cpt.Caveman
barnacle
Posts: 1594
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:13 am
Location: Sydney - Everywhere and nowhere.

Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:50 am

http://youtu.be/FxOm1c6k3i0

If this has already been posted sorry about that, please delete admins, unless it brings some valid new discussion of course :)

Made me steam in my seat to be honest, good to watch if you haven't already, especially for victorians.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

User avatar
swvic
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 6513
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by swvic » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:53 am

I'm no Bells local, but I think something has been done since that vid was produced. There is some newish looking concrete at the base of the steps. Whether or not this is part of a proper solution, I do not know. As for the other elements to the picture painted by Maurice, I have no idea. I hope the responsible people have lifted their standards. Pretty strong environmental values among the community around that area so I imagine the pressure has been firmly applied
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

User avatar
Grooter
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 9910
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 12:37 pm
Location: Titan Uranus

Re: Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by Grooter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:24 am

Worse when you consider Bells is now registered as a site of historical significance by the Victorian branch of the National Trust.
smnmntll wrote:my "inner city apartment" is about 3 minutes' walk from the beach
Meanwhile planes drop from the sky, people disappear and bullets fly. Little grey men are coming our way, "Tastes just like chicken", they say :o

Rustt
barnacle
Posts: 1693
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by Rustt » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:40 pm

grew up surfing bells and winki, calling it a surfing reserve is a joke , if it was any sort of surfing reserve the carpark would be on the other side of the road and it would all be bush land up where the carpark is now.
With the crapping in the bushes that is not a tourist thing, it is done by surfers and I might add some local surfers, going for an early straight after that morning coffee, in to much of a hurry to do it at home.
You would think ripcurl would come to the rescue with funding as they have been using bells and basing alot of there advertising around it for over 40 years, it would be a piss in the ocean out of there annual budget, but don't hold your breath on that one.
I know blokes who work for the surfcoast council and deal with ripcurl over the bells contest and the bottom line is they(rc) could not give a rats about locals surfers or the enviroment if it affect there contest.

User avatar
offshore1
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 8913
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:40 am

Re: Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by offshore1 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44 pm

well, grooter, obviously, has the solution.


aquaturds!
ajohnsen wrote: My tertiary education has been a bit like a blind woman with sudden onset diarrhea in a bathroom accessories showroom.

User avatar
swvic
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 6513
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by swvic » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:15 pm

crustt wrote:crapping in the bushes that is not a tourist thing, it is done by surfers and I might add some local surfers
Somewhat demoralising
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Nick Carroll
Duke Status
Posts: 19127
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:04 pm

I'm afraid crustt is right, Bells is being "loved" to death

The Surf Coast Shire has had titular duty of care over Bells since the Shire was formed back in 1992 and they have done virtually nothing to look after it. Most of that has been left in the hands of various community organisations (SANE, Surfrider) and via intermittent funding from Rip Curl. Now the Shire has an amazing $600,000 plan to erect a "tourist hub" (which they refuse to call a tourist hub, even though it's on their master plan as such) based on a series of coach parking bays (cutting out several carpark spots in the process) and two lovely new sculptural "photo features" for the bus tourists to take pics around. These photo features are costed at around $75,000 each.

Apparently the place itself isn't good enough for photographs.

The (non) "tourist hub" is clearly aimed at making the Great Ocean Road tourist bus run more appealing and has absolutely nothing to do with Bells's protection as a "surfing reserve". Indeed it runs directly counter to surfers' interests and those of Bells as an ecology.

Meanwhile the Rip Curl Pro has donated $50,000, $35k of it supposedly from the Easter contest's gate money, to the Shire's Bells "upkeep". Where did that money go, I wonder? Well your guess is as good as mine, because the Surf Coast Shire does not return my phone calls or emails, and hasn't for two years, ever since ASL ran an article on the subject of Bells's upkeep and future.

Here's hoping they didn't spend it on the sculptures.

User avatar
BA
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 5962
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:03 pm
Location: tits

Re: Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by BA » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:06 pm

That's really disappointing. I grew up in the area but left about 15 years ago. Didn't know about all this crap. Good on MC. Hope something gets done. Rip Curl's got a lot of marketing mileage and no doubt dollars out of the place over the years so surely they should get involved. What happened to SANE? I thought they were looking after the area.

User avatar
Squidlips
barnacle
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:46 pm
Location: Down the stairs

Re: Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by Squidlips » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:11 pm

there are good dunnies in the lower carpark near the bells break.

if you need a turd they come well recommended.

all locals know this,

its the blow ins that dont and they [email protected] in the bushes between winki and bells.

maybe all thats needed is decent signage?

User avatar
Grooter
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 9910
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 12:37 pm
Location: Titan Uranus

Re: Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by Grooter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:13 pm

offshore1 wrote:well, grooter, obviously, has the solution.


aquaturds!
:lol:

But seriously....
Nick Carroll wrote:I'm afraid crustt is right, Bells is being "loved" to death

The Surf Coast Shire has had titular duty of care over Bells since the Shire was formed back in 1992 and they have done virtually nothing to look after it. Most of that has been left in the hands of various community organisations (SANE, Surfrider) and via intermittent funding from Rip Curl. Now the Shire has an amazing $600,000 plan to erect a "tourist hub" (which they refuse to call a tourist hub, even though it's on their master plan as such) based on a series of coach parking bays (cutting out several carpark spots in the process) and two lovely new sculptural "photo features" for the bus tourists to take pics around. These photo features are costed at around $75,000 each.

Apparently the place itself isn't good enough for photographs.

The (non) "tourist hub" is clearly aimed at making the Great Ocean Road tourist bus run more appealing and has absolutely nothing to do with Bells's protection as a "surfing reserve". Indeed it runs directly counter to surfers' interests and those of Bells as an ecology.

Meanwhile the Rip Curl Pro has donated $50,000, $35k of it supposedly from the Easter contest's gate money, to the Shire's Bells "upkeep". Where did that money go, I wonder? Well your guess is as good as mine, because the Surf Coast Shire does not return my phone calls or emails, and hasn't for two years, ever since ASL ran an article on the subject of Bells's upkeep and future.

Here's hoping they didn't spend it on the sculptures.
If you'll pardon the pun that is shitful. Hell the Mornington Peninsula Shire (at least it would appear) does a hell of a lot more for a place like Gunnamatta that has a lot less 'prestige' than Bells - even though it has been surfed for probably just as long.
smnmntll wrote:my "inner city apartment" is about 3 minutes' walk from the beach
Meanwhile planes drop from the sky, people disappear and bullets fly. Little grey men are coming our way, "Tastes just like chicken", they say :o

User avatar
BA
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 5962
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:03 pm
Location: tits

Re: Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by BA » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:50 pm

I was obviously writing while you posted Nick. Good to see RC have chipped in. That seems fair. Obviously the Surf Coast Shire is run like every other Council, poorly. What a waste.

I've seen busloads of tourists rock up there and to be honest, they look bewilldered. Especially the Asians. They probably haven't even heard of surfing. It's pretty sad really. The place used to really have a pretty cool feel in the old days. I guess you can't stop progress and it was always going to happen in one form or another.

I guess that's what happens when you have non-surfers in control. Hopefully some local surfers will get on council.

User avatar
swvic
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 6513
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by swvic » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:56 pm

BA wrote:The place used to really have a pretty cool feel in the old days.
Went over there for school contests, club contests and sometimes to just go. Even planted a tree there. It did have a good vibe

Fcuk I'm getting old
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

alakaboo
Duke Status
Posts: 16404
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by alakaboo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:07 pm

That masterplan won an architectural design award, Nick, for "demonstrated care in addressing the needs and aspirations for an iconic coastal site that experiences infrequent heavy public use and witnesses excessive coastal exposure."
Last edited by alakaboo on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
godsavethequeen wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:57 am
Of course not a single one of us is going to click that link but it doesn’t mean we don’t love you fiercely, alakaboo because trust me we do, you glorious high functioning wombat

User avatar
Squidlips
barnacle
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:46 pm
Location: Down the stairs

Re: Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by Squidlips » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:25 pm

ithink you guys need to get down there a bit more.

the shire has revegetated the whole of the cliff top from bells to torquay.
maintained the paths, removed problem plants...

its no garden of eden. it always has been a farm covered in turd, with a cliff and a small
sh!tty beach.
get over it.

User avatar
daryl
Duke Status
Posts: 17723
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:23 pm

Re: Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by daryl » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:07 pm

photo.victoria.plates.jpg

User avatar
swvic
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 6513
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by swvic » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Was the place to be on the w'end. Quality surf for 3 days. Since when?
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

User avatar
Deesee
barnacle
Posts: 1568
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:01 am
Location: A gutter in Chumpsville...

Re: Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by Deesee » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:51 pm

Wouldn't it just act as fertiliser?

He looked like he was really enjoying solving the p00 riddle...
If it feels good, do it.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status
Posts: 4962
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: i live in a pineapple under the sea

Re: Maurice Cole's tour of bells

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:28 pm

Another poo thread :?:
8)
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], RickyG and 13 guests