Bong in big trouble

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Re: Bong in big trouble

Post by Karlos » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:21 am

Yep it's tough being around someone constantly stoned. A lot like being sober with a drunk. It doesn't work. Weed's fun but not as a lifestyle.
Last edited by Karlos on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:47 am

reginald wrote:Sorry col but for someone struggling with a mental illness, you sound like you're living in denial.
living in denial of what, dickwad? if you read what I have written, rather than making rash assumptions, I am talking about a friend, not a "friend". I can see his faults, but when you've known someone for 30 years you don't toss them away like a used tissue. Well, at least I don't. I've been shown lots of grace by people in my life, and I try to do the same.

You can't change people. You can only change yourself. I changed myself. I don't bong on. I don't drink to excess. I exercise. I hold down a responsible job, and am there for my children. I also have a mental illness.

I've never blamed my circumstances on my mental illness. I made mistakes, paid for them, and have taken responsibility for them.

What more do you want to know?

JG
the tools of the trade are the head and the heart - mission of burma

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:06 pm

Collnarra has had the courage to talk sincerely about his issues, and made choices that have turned his life around. No denial there!
Denial is often excuses, I'll do it when I'm ready a;; sorts of plausible thing to get others off their backs.
The mental illness thing is ongoing and need to be continually worked with it effects the whole family!
Idon't know anything other than what Collnarra has said about his journey, but I have seen it in my own family until mental illness and drug issues related to it are acknowledged there is no way out!
IMO there are no half measure s you are either in or out!
Having personally survived the Psychedelic Mind Wars of the late sixties and made it out, I don't wish to go there again, the casualties among friends and family have made it clear that it is not a way to go!
72 cones per day strikes me as reality avoidance and other underlying issues.
Good on you Josh for sticking with a friend. I understand an applaud!
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:28 pm

Josh, without taking away from anything Otts said (except perhaps the applauding), I think that your support could also be called 'enabling by inaction'.
If I had a friend smoking that much pot, I'd probably report them myself.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:39 pm

I can see where you're coming from, but when someone says "I know I smoke too much but..." there's really nothing you can do.

The guy is in long term denial, not only of his bong pulling, but of a whole lot of other things going on in his life. He blames everything on external circumstances, refusing to take responsibility for anything. There's always a "but" in there.

I can't say I know what the answer is. Personally I think it's pathetic, but I stopped worrying about it a long time ago.

JG

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Karlos wrote:Yep it's tough being around someone constantly stoned. A lot like being sober with a drunk. It doesn't work. Weed's fun but not as a lifestyle.
actually it's interesting because this guy doesn't even get the red eye anymore. If you didn't know he'd just punched five in a row, you wouldn't know he was baked.

Where it gets annoying is when you're at a gig, for example, and as soon as the gig is over he's marching out the door to the car - no hanging around getting a beer and a chat afterwards - so he can get home to get his quota back up. Either that, or he's rolled a couple of spliffs and has run down an alley to choof em down.

saucy gibbon
barnacle

Post by saucy gibbon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:05 pm

at least he gets out, bloke i know who lives a similar existence spends his time at home punching them and giving the stink eye
Uni is not the real world.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:10 pm

alakaboo wrote:Josh, without taking away from anything Otts said (except perhaps the applauding), I think that your support could also be called 'enabling by inaction'.
What a strange statement.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that if you had a FRIEND who's lifestyle you disagreed with, you would call the police??? I'm not sure who else you could 'report them' too.
And anyway, you may like to call your local police station and tell them 'I know a guy who smokes 72 bongs a day'. And see what response you get :lol:
Erase.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:21 pm

I've got a couple of mates who are chronics and it is sad. I think it runs hand in hand with pretty severe depression.

I don't like it around me and I don't like it around my kids, but I do feel compassion for them.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:38 pm

lateralus wrote:
alakaboo wrote:Josh, without taking away from anything Otts said (except perhaps the applauding), I think that your support could also be called 'enabling by inaction'.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that if you had a FRIEND who's lifestyle you disagreed with, you would call the police??? I'm not sure who else you could 'report them' too.
And anyway, you may like to call your local police station and tell them 'I know a guy who smokes 72 bongs a day'. And see what response you get :lol:
72 bongs a day is more than a lifestyle choice.
I've got friends with depression and other issues who self medicate with pot, but it doesn't shape their whole existence. To be honest, I couldn't stay friends with someone for that long with that kind of dependency and the underlying issues.

And yes, had a really good friend (see previous statement), and if I had known them to be doing this for 20 years, , and nothing else had worked, I'd think pretty seriously about finding some way of getting them busted.

Might be strange, but I'd definitely be thinking about it.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:44 pm

I used to quite like getting baked, but it started to become less and less fun. It was making me paranoid and obsessive. I already struggle with both those things; having a choof wasn't helping and so I stopped.

Lots of people with serious mental illness (SMI) self medicate with weed, powders and pills. It's quite common, actually. Sometimes all you want is something to lift you out of the haze of antipsychotics. Something to make you feel a little more alive and part of the human race.

I'm not endorsing those things (for our young viewers) but that's the reality.

JG

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:52 pm

reginald wrote:Sorry col but for someone struggling with a mental illness, you sound like you're living in denial.
Dino is BACK.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:58 pm

In the end with friends in that state, you can offer help (not of the enabling kind) but the real steps to regaining that person's life have to be taken by them.
friendship and relating to them would be IMO judged on how they effect my family,
I would be sorely challenged by having them busted, as criminal issues on top of the other stuff and the jails are already coping with lots of people with mental issues and not crime issues.
Short answer I don't know and my answer is moveable because I'm dealing with this with one of my sons!
Fortunately currently he is drug free and sober and coming back to being safely "human" and is in a space where he can function with other people.
My job as I see it is to get him to a point where he can function without mum and dad pitching in (paradox here) ( one day we will be gone) and FFS he is 40 and the last 20 years have been a nightmare!
Last edited by otway1949 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:59 pm

Hollowed out must be due soon to interrupt discussion with the current share price

Know quite a few who still revolve most of their lives around mull. Amazingly, a couple of them seem ok. Hold down jobs, good parenting skills and emotionally/psychologically stable. Shits me though that it sometimes interferes with my life. Last week I visited some friends who have children. Ended up in their garage so they could smoke cones. Didn't stay long - not due to the company, it was fcuken freezing. Have also been hijacked when people are chasing to score or when they've wanted to hide when away from home to get wasted

And that's the good ones. The bad ones are really bad. I've tried to encourage some to change their ways and if it's not an excuse about them, they come back at me about my alcohol consumption. I do drink too much so I've no effective response despite it being quite clear the difference is that I mostly have my shit together

The caveat here is that a couple of times a year, I'll not pass on a scoob if it comes my way. Being mildly stoned does still feel pretty good to me

Edit: Best wishes, ots
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:29 pm

alakaboo wrote:
lateralus wrote:
72 bongs a day is more than a lifestyle choice.
I've got friends with depression and other issues who self medicate with pot, but it doesn't shape their whole existence. To be honest, I couldn't stay friends with someone for that long with that kind of dependency and the underlying issues.

And yes, had a really good friend (see previous statement), and if I had known them to be doing this for 20 years, , and nothing else had worked, I'd think pretty seriously about finding some way of getting them busted.

Might be strange, but I'd definitely be thinking about it.
Yeah you are right 72 cones is more than a lifestyle choice.
And just plain wasteful to boot.
But I do believe getting a mate a criminal record ain't gonna help the underlying disorder.
Erase.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:38 pm

yeah, I have thought many times I should just drop him. But when I got sick and the wife left me and I lost my job lots of supposed friends dropped me. He didn't. I can't bring myself to do it to other people.

There's no doubt the guy needs help. He's still living in 1992. But I am not the person to get him help. Most of his other friends are smokers too. I'm probably the only person who is not.

I don't have much left to say about the situation. He was a good surfer once, too. Now it's all about the bong.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:07 pm

thanks tommers. that means a lot to me. <wipes away a tear>

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:28 pm

[quote="swvic"]Hollowed out must be due soon to interrupt discussion with the current share price

Yeah sorry swvic I was just finishing me 73rd bong but now I can't fcukin recall who would want to share a bong, piss of ya weasles, its all mine