Mystery Surfers

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Mystery Surfers

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:56 pm

You know the ones. Spotted surfing some obscure spot on the biggest day only to disappear on the last ride. Turn up out of no where at exactly the right time then theyre gone. Surfing always attracts the loners and drifters who enjoy the random nature of the act. Theres plenty of famous ones but many more unsung local heroes who have it wired and you can't work out how they do it.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

spork
barnacle

Re: Mystery Surfers

Post by spork » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Pffft, it usually those wally who don't surf unless its pumping and perfect cos they are sooo good. Frig, i wish I was one of em.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:22 pm

spork wrote:Pffft, it usually those wally who don't surf unless its pumping and perfect cos they are sooo good. Frig, i wish I was one of em.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: so do I spork, so do I
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:21 pm

You know, like Roy Stewart.
Oh, hang on thats a different kind of mystery surfer.
I was thinking about the guy who used to ride Mavericks alone for ten years type Mystery Surfer.
Or the guys that rode Shipsterns in the early days.
The opposite of a comp surfer.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:57 pm

There was a guy, long blonde hair, like you say, mystery surfer, in Hobart back in the mid/late nineties. Drove 'round in a yellow volvo with a board strapped to the roof. Don't think anyone saw him surf, but they saw him shoot a lot of people in Port Arthur.

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:53 am

skipper wrote:There was a guy, long blonde hair, like you say, mystery surfer, in Hobart back in the mid/late nineties. Drove 'round in a yellow volvo with a board strapped to the roof. Don't think anyone saw him surf, but they saw him shoot a lot of people in Port Arthur.
Driving a Volvo will do that to you
Braithy - I can look at a guy like Sonny Bill Williams, his physique and face, and appreciate, he's a good looking guy

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:49 am

Yeah Beanie
You kow like " Stray Rewt " pops up anywhere but...

could not see him riding anything over two feet and he would feel unsafe surfing without the adulation of a large crowd, in the various "Kiddies corners" of the world , which he haunts.

I know you also haunt the Volvo car cleaners site Roy - I have proof. Gives him a woody!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/antiunders ... TCg&zoom=1

All hail, king "Oy the ArSe WaRt " :P :wink:

MD 8)
"I JUST SPENT 6 MONTHS BUYING LEAKY BOATS
2O MILLION BUYING BOATS
GLOBAL WARMINGS CRAP
SO BURNING 'EMS JUST ANOTHER 20 MILLION UP IN SMOKE"
Apologies to Tim Finn

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Saw a guy with only a thumb on his left hand getting absolutley barrelled off his tits a few years ago at 6-8ft Boomerang beach, riding an old board with electrical tape holding it togther and a pair of saints footy shorts, spoke to no one.....dominated........ left. I went an had a lime splice to calm myself down afterwards.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Excellent example there davros.
Has anyone heard the story about the surfer who bit the end of a red necked miners nose off in Carnarvon in the seventies?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:11 pm

skipper wrote:There was a guy, long blonde hair, like you say, mystery surfer, in Hobart back in the mid/late nineties. Drove 'round in a yellow volvo with a board strapped to the roof. Don't think anyone saw him surf, but they saw him shoot a lot of people in Port Arthur.
For some reason I remember that the board was actually bolted to the roof rack.

Funny how that stuck in my mind.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:21 pm

Well known mystery surfers-
Jock Sutherland,Owl Chapman,Keith Paul, Ted Spencer,Wayne Lynch,Peter McCabe, MP, Jim Banks...
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Beanpole wrote:Well known mystery surfers-
Jock Sutherland,Owl Chapman,Keith Paul, Ted Spencer,Wayne Lynch,Peter McCabe, MP, Jim Banks...
How can all these guys be a mystery if there well known? The only reason they seemed to be a mystery is because that is the image they projected in the magazine article to pay for there next surf trip.
The mystery surfer is the kneeboarder I saw surfing alone at dawn and dusk at all my favorite spots, it took a year to find out where he came from and who he was, by that time he disappeared.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:31 pm

They are not necessarily a bunch of media manipulators.
I guess you just singled out Bansky.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:49 am

If I was going to single one out it would be lynch, but all of those guys from that era would do just about anything to top up the cash to keep surfing, they had too. I thought we were talking about the bloke that turns up every now and then that surfs as hot as a pro but hardly anyone knows them.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:11 am

I see one bloke now and then. Hardcore shortboarder, won't as much as look at anyone else. WIll get the wave of the day, but still, the expression on his face is disappointment/angry/hardcore to the bone. Like, you can tell in his head he's thinking " What a shit wave, i wish it was 5' bigger, this is shit". Kinda funny, i wonder why he bothers at all. I mean if it means that much to you to surf consistently big world class waves, move to hawaii. You aint gunna get em in the gong haha

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:53 am

crustt wrote:If I was going to single one out it would be lynch, but all of those guys from that era would do just about anything to top up the cash to keep surfing, they had too. I thought we were talking about the bloke that turns up every now and then that surfs as hot as a pro but hardly anyone knows them.
I should have included Dora.
I think all those guys have a bit of the mystery surfer about them for different reasons.
Whether its turning up surfing obscure places or just being on the outer edge.

Always good form to pull off a good move and look bored. The no claim claim.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

localbogan
regular

Post by localbogan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Last year (Sept/Aug from memory) went down to the beach late and it was still pretty big with decent sets at Queensy Bonnie. A bit of commotion out there, rescue boat apparently talking to a surfer out there. He was the only one out. The boat leaves then the guy paddles back over to the line up, catches a solid one then paddles to the beach and catches another big one at N Steyne. Walks up the beach, about mid 40's, slight gut, riding an old school gun. Has a shower then anonymously drives off. Probably got home and when his wife asked how was it just said "not bad, got a couple"

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:57 pm

Beerfan wrote:I see one bloke now and then. Hardcore shortboarder, won't as much as look at anyone else. WIll get the wave of the day, but still, the expression on his face is disappointment/angry/hardcore to the bone. Like, you can tell in his head he's thinking " What a shit wave, i wish it was 5' bigger, this is shit". Kinda funny, i wonder why he bothers at all. I mean if it means that much to you to surf consistently big world class waves, move to hawaii. You aint gunna get em in the gong haha
waste, in a way