Mystery Surfers

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Mystery Surfers

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Theres probably a lot more mystery surfers around when your a grommet because you don't really know much about anyone or anything.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:57 pm

I remember seeing a guy surfing Hikkadua in 1982 on a board he had made himself and used Sarong fabric instead of glass matting which wasn't available. People said he had been living in the Maldives and there was good surf there. Nearly jumped on a canoe to go and check it out. :roll: :roll:
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:28 pm

Beanpole wrote:I remember seeing a guy surfing Hikkadua in 1982 on a board he had made himself and used Sarong fabric instead of glass matting which wasn't available. People said he had been living in the Maldives and there was good surf there. Nearly jumped on a canoe to go and check it out. :roll: :roll:
man of many facets, u and mystery man

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:11 pm

A bit like the guy I met in a crappy backpackers that was actually in the travel agency in singapore. Just got back from Nias and when we seemed interested in changing travel plans to go there he advised us not to saying you always went over the back of the wave if you tried to pull in and that it wasn't worth going to :? :?

Thanks for the heads up.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:29 pm

In fact theres a whole category of mystery surfers who give you bum steers on the quest for secret discoveries.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:14 am

Beanpole wrote:In fact theres a whole category of mystery surfers who give you bum steers on the quest for secret discoveries.
Wouldn't be a secret if he told you. :)

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:42 am

Animal_Chin wrote:
skipper wrote:There was a guy, long blonde hair, like you say, mystery surfer, in Hobart back in the mid/late nineties. Drove 'round in a yellow volvo with a board strapped to the roof. Don't think anyone saw him surf, but they saw him shoot a lot of people in Port Arthur.
For some reason I remember that the board was actually bolted to the roof rack.

Funny how that stuck in my mind.
There's a bloke in Manly been doing that for a number of years now. Visits the methadone clinic then goes hangs out with his junkie mates down by the library.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:47 am

localbogan wrote:Last year (Sept/Aug from memory) went down to the beach late and it was still pretty big with decent sets at Queensy Bonnie. A bit of commotion out there, rescue boat apparently talking to a surfer out there. He was the only one out. The boat leaves then the guy paddles back over to the line up, catches a solid one then paddles to the beach and catches another big one at N Steyne. Walks up the beach, about mid 40's, slight gut, riding an old school gun. Has a shower then anonymously drives off. Probably got home and when his wife asked how was it just said "not bad, got a couple"
Gold

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:57 pm

crustt wrote:
Beanpole wrote:In fact theres a whole category of mystery surfers who give you bum steers on the quest for secret discoveries.
Wouldn't be a secret if he told you. :)
I remember flying up to Coolangatta years ago and reading the inflight mag advertorial thing they give you. It had a run down on great surfing beaches on the Gold Coast. It listed Surfers Main, I think Miami and then skipped to the south wall of the Tweed River without mentioning any major surf spot :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't know who wrote it but it was quite an achievement.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:29 pm

that guy whatsisname, has brown hair
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"