surf rage. solved. apparently...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Re: surf rage. solved. apparently...

Post by dUg » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:29 pm

Something I'm surprised none of you hawk-eyes picked up on was the use of the misnomer "wave pool". My understanding is that they are talking about Flowriders... not an actual "pool" which generates an actual "wave".

A Flowrider will amount to bupkis in terms of luring the average etiquette challenged recent Surfing Australia approved summer surf school graduate backpacker away from named breaks on even half-decent days. It's little more than a turbocharged slipery dip for boogie borders or pool-pony riding thrill seekers.

As for artificial surfing reefs, well, all I'll say is the best predictor of the future is the past... :/

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:06 pm

not a flow rider they're aiming for, dug.

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:39 am

This is the best wave pool that is curently in existence, of course it is in Dubai.
Nine second rides.
Epicness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI2cLDEz ... e=youtu.be

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:12 pm

alakaboo wrote:not a flow rider they're aiming for, dug.
interesting. Heard from someone in the know there'd been discussions. Then again... person in question has been prone to BS in regard to these developments... :/

So... if not the booggerydip, the prices mentioned seem a bit optimistic? Aren't pools usually about 5 - 10x the price?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:00 pm

That I don't know. 15 mill upfront is what I heard

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:48 pm

carvin marvin wrote:This is the best wave pool that is curently in existence, of course it is in Dubai.
Nine second rides.
Epicness.
Nice waves ........ but it won't happen here. :(

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:20 pm

Would love to own that wave pool. ...have naked chicks hanging all over the place.....lines of chop racked up ready to go after finishing the ride and some messed up freak show playing cool tunes along the edge.

On each corner of the complex I would have a heavily armed ex soviet KGB protecting the place from any undesirable characters wanting to get in.

Man I would make that place f-ckin boost.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:36 pm

carvin marvin wrote:This is the best wave pool that is curently in existence, of course it is in Dubai.
Nine second rides.
Epicness.
are you fcuken KIDDING ME.

now let's post the best actual surf spot on the planet (G? Cloudbreak? Chopes? Barra? Safi? Rifles? whatever? pick one, pick a hundred) and see how it compares to this feeble flat faced piece of shit.

Bit of god damn perspective here gents.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:12 pm

Don’t take what Nicks says personally. That wave beats Newport Peak hands down.

If he :mrgreen: came near my wave pool on one of Newport’s typically lacklustre days I would have one of my KGB agents shoot him. :D

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:58 pm

carvin marvin wrote:Epicness.
If you like doing cutbacks over and over. :?

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:00 pm

^
I was being sarkarstic !

A while back I saw a documentary about that wave pool and the waves just closed out, they must have worked out a way to release the water in a way that creates rights and lefts.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:18 am

carvin marvin wrote:^
I was being sarkarstic !
Sorry!

kk however was DEADLY SERIOUS.

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:48 pm

ether wrote:i'm too lazy and care too little about this to google, but haven't we been here before?

Just seems like every couple of years this 'we're going to build a reef and solve congestion/create a world class wave/create surf tourism honeypot/etc' seems to pop up.

I think this issue demonstrates how undeveloped/ naive/ faddish the sport, of surfing, is in relation to other sports accepted by the grassroots. Mainstream sports - Pick any one Golf, tennis, sailing, or any football code. They all have huge capital investment in developing their resources for the mainstream (jack and jill players in suburbia)

Golf courses have been being built for over a century _ huge capital works even just to build your local suburban Golf course and yet nearly every region in sydney has dozens of courses. Same with...Same with ... same with (Name any other sport and place the named here!)

Surfings resorting to the equivalent of a circus carnival on the Gold Coast by building wavepools, just reflects what a naive, little carnival the sport is. People drift in and then drift out of surfing - nobody cares about the long term focus . The crowds force people out - the public companies fleece the punters while they can... the Circus moves on. The perception - Surfing is a teenagers past time.

Look at the Australian Open of Surfing in Manly - Surfings only way of expression is to act like Carnies and piut on a circus. What if the same money had been spent by NSW's Govt treasurer and local member Mike Baird on enhancing Freshwater Headland and finishing off the Reef. It would give decades of enjoyment and thin the crowds with an additional local break.

For what it is worth - here is the lowdown on how to fix narrowneck from a Surfers perspective.
http://www.surfingramps.com.au/Narrowneck.htm

MD 8)
"I JUST SPENT 6 MONTHS BUYING LEAKY BOATS
2O MILLION BUYING BOATS
GLOBAL WARMINGS CRAP
SO BURNING 'EMS JUST ANOTHER 20 MILLION UP IN SMOKE"
Apologies to Tim Finn

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:22 pm

Look... I’m not ashamed to admit it but I was busted knockin’ one off the top thinking about having me very own wave pool.

Me wooza was walking past our outhouse and she heard me saying(with grinding teeth noises) “F-ck...... naked chicks.... something something...wave pool boosting.... something ...something....rack one up Khali” and the next thing you know she busted down the door(COPS style) and caught me chockin’ the monkey.

Didn’t even cook me a meal for Valentines day....What a f-ck up !!! I’m sick of it !!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:04 pm

moondoggie wrote:Golf courses have been being built for over a century _ huge capital works even just to build your local suburban Golf course and yet nearly every region in sydney has dozens of courses. Same with...Same with ... same with (Name any other sport and place the named here!)
Yeah mate but we have the entire Australian coast at our disposal.

And building artificial reefs etc doesn't thin crowds, it just creates crowd situations. Look at our very own Australian artificial surf zone, Snapper Rocks. Yes, amazing but true, you make a surf spot better and more people want to surf it... to the point where people at Snapper are seriously beginning to suggest artificial crowd control measures.

Waves are a completely renewing resource, nobody has to do shit about 'em, they just show up without our interference, way more of them break every day than we can possibly hope to ride, it's a completely free gig in a constantly varying naturally formed space bound only by your own commitment and willingness.

Wave pools on the other hand, a resource limited by ownership and available human-generated power, in an unvarying artificial space which will undoubtedly cost you money and put you in a "consumer" relationship with the pool's owner/controller....yeah that sounds an absolute fcuken treat. Just like golf, in fact.

Have fun with that one.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:26 pm

^^^well that's the fcuken irony loofy, when it's just you and the board you got off your shaper, then it's the coolest fcuken thing anyone has ever thought of.

It will only stop being cool when it is completely fcuked beyond redemption.

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Totally agree with what you are saying Moondoggie.
Look at the amount of tax the surfing tribe has paid to the government over the last 50 years.
Maybe its time for a GST (good surf tax) where the government directs money towards funding research and developement of Surfing Reefs and Webbers wave pool.

I find it amusing when people say when are ''they'' going to do this or that for surfing, who is this they, when it is ''us''
surfers who should design surfings future.

Take for example what is going to happen off Cronulla Beach with the dumping of sand offshore to create a sand slug which will break up a swell line and create peaky 'A' frames, what happens if it works really well, then a large swell event destroys it, then we are back to square one.
But if we had a surfing organization that could direct some money to stabilize the sand slug by covering it with something stronger and make it more resistant to the oceans energy, for example 't' shaped pipes (say 12''diameter, 3ft by 3ft) which could be dumped over the sand slug from a barge, the 't' pipes settle on the bottom and interlock randomly to create a strong covering over the sand. Or an even better idea thread the pipes onto some sort of cable like you would thread beads on a string, then lay over the sand slug this would be even more stabilizing. Or an even better idea, apply both methods.

Some thing like this should have been done at Broken Head last winter (2011) when that rarest of rare events occurred, good sand build up on the point , the sand has gone now and it is deep again, but how simple would it be to cover the sand build up and have an excellent quality peeling right hander that lasts more than a few months.
This would be part of my reef building strategy, any time a good sand build up occurs on our coastline creating good peeling waves, a team of reef builders would move into action and cover and stabilize that sea floor shape.
Work with nature.

I can still remember the last time I saw waves as good at Broken Head, August 19th 1998 .
Prior to that the winter of '88.
What a fickle place.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:02 pm

Strongly disagree with all due respect.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes