Paradise Lost for Aussie Surfboard Makers Amid China Imports

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Morgan The Moon
Local

Re: Paradise Lost for Aussie Surfboard Makers Amid China Imp

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Another one bites the dust.....

Sorry to see MR's shop gone. Aus and Newy lose another piece of paradise. :(

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/ ... 17344.aspx

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:12 pm

dUg wrote:
mustkillmulloway wrote:
imo....suck eggs holden and ford.....u couldn't make a decent 4 cyclinder car for last century :!:
Now now, come on Mr Selective Memory

:wink: :D
Ford Anglia, good car, runs well with Cortina parts apparently.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:28 pm

Morgan The Moon wrote:Another one bites the dust.....

Sorry to see MR's shop gone. Aus and Newy lose another piece of paradise. :(

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/ ... 17344.aspx
Now THAT is sad. Many happy memories of that place.
At least he's still shaping. His boards are among the best I've ever ridden (except for the last custom one I got from him but I was partly to blame for that one...)
Erase.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:56 pm

I remember going in there one time in the seventies and they had a pile of MP boards in there of all things. More than I'd seen in one place on the Gold Coast. That was just before MR really took off and also got seriously into shaping. Used to see him practising his re entries on close outs at Dixon Park. A really original great surfer.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Lard Lad
regular

Post by Lard Lad » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:31 pm

[quote="alakaboo"][quote="Lard Lad"]Govt will never let car manufacturing or steel production totally die in this country, nor will the yanks or brits let the same happen there, both industries will always be kept going for strategic defense reasons, [/quote]
How does this work, exactly?[/quote]
I could tell's ya, but then I'd hafta ..............
But don't let it worry ya about whats actually going on to try to protect ya right to be a standard whiny c.nut, just keep paying ya taxes (at least some), and tell the greenies, lifestyler bludgers, and illegals to GTFO.............

Lard Lad
regular

Post by Lard Lad » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:46 pm

but I still reserve the right to buy my young children boards made in china for around a third of what i'd pay for the identical locally produced thing. any argument that my young kids won't be TOP OF THE WNAKER ORDER or miss waves at Lennox, or anywhere else for that matter, because they are the only kids riding chinese made boards is nonsensical in the extreme. when I can see that they're ready to snake the purveyors of such bollocks, I'll be more than ready to fork out for one of Dahlberg's best handmade jobbies to make sure the wafted spray in their faces is razor sharp. however, seriously cannot see how they'll benefit from the Dahlberg before they're 10. Anyways buy your kids a LOCAL shaper board for around $500 and find out it's a dog, try and ebay it and see what's it's worth <$200, or pay $250 for a china that's a dog and ebay it and maybe get <$80...... I know which my bank manager would prefer me to do...... but you do whatever suits YOU, that's what suits the needy best, especially when it's time for a handout.......

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:53 pm

Lard Lad wrote:
alakaboo wrote:How does this work, exactly?
But don't let it worry ya about whats actually going on to try to protect ya right to be a standard whiny c.nut, just keep paying ya taxes (at least some), and tell the greenies, lifestyler bludgers, and illegals to GTFO.............
Yeah, this is a classic. We need a car industry in case we go to some war where a Commodore is going to be a highly useful vehicle in the front line.

That would be a front line that doesn't exist because it has been schralped by the bombs dropped after the drones pinpointed their locations.

All done by remote control.

The reason that the industry is being propped up is because there are sufficient numbers of stupid people who believe that somehow keeping a car industry is going to help us in a defence capacity.

It's a wonderful thing to whinge constantly about being taxed by government but having no idea what would be worth spending those taxes on and what would be pointless.

Cars are subsidised for political reasons. Almost certainly they produce shite cars because they are american companies that are propped up by australian dollars.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:57 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:NSW sold its fleet off before the olympics too help fund the olympics
Not sure where this is going.

NSW sold off its car fleet some time in the 80's, decades before they found out they had won the right to hold the event.

No value in governments owning cars. They lose value more quickly than just about any other asset.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:57 pm

oldman wrote:
Lard Lad wrote:
alakaboo wrote:How does this work, exactly?
Yeah, this is a classic. We need a car industry in case we go to some war where a Commodore is going to be a highly useful vehicle in the front line.

That would be a front line that doesn't exist because it has been schralped by the bombs dropped after the drones pinpointed their locations.

The reason that the industry is being propped up is because there are sufficient numbers of stupid people who believe that somehow keeping a car industry is going to help us in a defence capacity.

It's a wonderful thing to whinge constantly about being taxed by government but having no idea what would be worth spending those taxes on and what would be pointless.

Cars are subsidised for political reasons. Almost certainly they produce shite cars because they are american companies that are propped up by australian dollars.
I like where you're going with this oldman.

Are you thinking "People's Car" like I am?

And for that matter, "People's surfboard"?

Lard Lad
regular

Post by Lard Lad » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:28 pm

[quote="oldman"][quote="Lard Lad"][quote="alakaboo"]How does this work, exactly?[/quote]
But don't let it worry ya about whats actually going on to try to protect ya right to be a standard whiny c.nut, just keep paying ya taxes (at least some), and tell the greenies, lifestyler bludgers, and illegals to GTFO.............[/quote]

Cars are subsidised for political reasons. Almost certainly they produce shite cars because they are american companies that are propped up by australian dollars.[/quote]
Keeping a car type manufacturing industry going gives us a (despite any 7 year comments) a quickly retooled production line to produce the plant we may require with equipment that already resides in warehouses in communities within of our country you probably couldn't recognize the names of, it is actually beneficial that its basis is shared ownership with our allies.
The only remote control delivery methods worth worrying about are owned by our allies.
The real pointless waste of our nations revenue and wealth is handouts, school halls, chinese made insulation installation programs, chinese made subsidised solar panel installations to appease morons, payments to bludgers who choose to lifestyle, and illegal immigrants.
Cars are subsidised for many reasons, including the political that you point out, it is of our national interest to ensure that plant production lines are kept within this country, which can either be misconstrued as a donation of money to our allies, or a re payment under Lend Lease, before it became a company.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:38 pm

Lard Lad wrote: Keeping a car type manufacturing industry going gives us a (despite any 7 year comments) a quickly retooled production line to produce the plant we may require with equipment that already resides in warehouses in communities within of our country you probably couldn't recognize the names of, it is actually beneficial that its basis is shared ownership with our allies.
The only remote control delivery methods worth worrying about are owned by our allies.
The real pointless waste of our nations revenue and wealth is handouts, school halls, chinese made insulation installation programs, chinese made subsidised solar panel installations to appease morons, payments to bludgers who choose to lifestyle, and illegal immigrants.
Cars are subsidised for many reasons, including the political that you point out, it is of our national interest to ensure that plant production lines are kept within this country, which can either be misconstrued as a donation of money to our allies, or a re payment under Lend Lease, before it became a company.
:shock:

I feel 190 IQ points dumber after reading that.

Wait a minute... Roy? Is that you??

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:03 am

Dole bludgers, illegal immigrants, solar panels, school halls and insulation. Unless someone can think of something Lard Lad has missed, I reckon that'd be bingo wouldn't it?

Hang on, you forgot the NBN and dodgy Lebanese builders. :roll:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:31 am

I haven't seen a dole bludger since 1999........

they're an endangered species.

Why do you hate endangered species so much Lardy?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:18 am

^^ Weakness Steve. If they haven't got the grit to stay alive then too bad. Survival of the fittest.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:44 am

I just hope the people making these boards are being paid reasonably for working in such a toxic enviroment, its probably considerably less than people get on the dole...

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:00 am

Australia has some of the finest surfboard shapers/designers/builders in the universe.

The reason the best surfers at any spot ride custom surfboards made by (usually) local craftsmen and not asian made pop-outs is because they are better.

Thats the relevant point, not that if you show up on a pop-out you won't get a wave.

Despite this abundant wealth of intellectual property and design knowledge available to anyone (and often cheaper than the asian pop-out funnily enough) some creeps can't wait to flush it down the toilet of history so we can all be like the morons wandering around warehouses like pole-axed ewes buying Ikea furniture.

Why?

Why would you want to trash this great resource available for us so we can all save a few pennies buying heap a shit chinese junk?

If you want boards for your kids go under the house and fix up the old beater or go to the local dump and grab one of the old boards at the tip shop. There's a heap of cheap options available, not to mention the foamie.

As far as the durability argument.
I've had these two boards for just over a year now. They've been surfed hard. Cyclone swells, snapped leggies on rocky points, a winter's worth of insane surf, two weeks surfing Teahupoo.

I stripped the wax off yesterday to see how they were holding up.

Very little deck denting both in good/great condition with tons of life in them. Keep them out of the sun, let the boards cure before riding and fix dings.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:17 am

whats that little decal on the tail SS ? the blue one ???

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:19 am

not made in Asia.