surfin in contests

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Re: surfin in contests

Post by swvic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:42 am

saucy gibbon wrote:coz if they didn't we wouldnt know which t shirts to buy
:lol:
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:48 am

funny you should say that, a bunch of us locals rekon we are gonna get coloured rashies and paddle out in the next comp, that should confuse the shit out of em if nothing else.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:53 am

And here's Parko paddling now. Oh, wait. Not Parko. It's a goofy-footed old kook with a red rashie

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:57 am

No, no, you got it wrong! there would be half a dozen old kooks in red rashies all dropping in on Parko :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roy Stewart

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:42 am

WHAT IS THIS, FUNNY DAY :D

the hulkster
Grommet

Post by the hulkster » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:15 am

I have had simular sort of experiences down at 13th beach. I think they are called "Soul". They took over a reasonably popular break and as i looked like going out for a paddle the death stare from the throngs were surprising to say the least, i went out up the beach anyhow just to avoid the hassle. BUt at the time i didi think to myself what right did they have to take over a break. None i would have thought. I guess the numbers they had there assured they had it to themselves. But it does piss me off to think anyone has the right to a break just becasue they have some sort of group happening (pro contests aside). Waves are for everyone to share.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:23 am

I've got some vague memory of Joel Tudors Dad getting in trouble for bashing someone surfing in the comp zone.

Being the States, Tudor Snr got sued for a hefty amount.

In the US at least, Fong is in the right.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:50 pm

Unless things have changed, if a group/club is ASA affiliated, they can have access rights. Club I surfed in on Morn Pen just had to inform relative authorities (rangers) about where and when. Not sure how it would stand up to legal challenge.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:37 pm

Morgan The Moon wrote:I've got some vague memory of Joel Tudors Dad getting in trouble for bashing someone surfing in the comp zone.

Being the States, Tudor Snr got sued for a hefty amount.

In the US at least, Fong is in the right.
The latest I heard (10 years ago) was there was a strong chance that he would have to sell the family home to pay the bills.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:45 pm

swvic wrote:Unless things have changed, if a group/club is ASA affiliated, they can have access rights. Club I surfed in on Morn Pen just had to inform relative authorities (rangers) about where and when. Not sure how it would stand up to legal challenge.
Surfing Australia has no agreements with any local councils or other organisations that control surf spot access on behalf of boardriding clubs. Those agreements would be up to the individual clubs etc to negotiate.

Club membership does buy limited insurance cover...so if a club member in a contest ran somebody over and accidentally caused them a terrible injury, the club member would not be liable for damages claims.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:22 pm

Of course, ASA is now Surfing Australia

NC, do individual SA memberships afford some insurance cover? Pretty sure old ASA did. Guess I could look at SA website, but easier to ask you :)

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:26 pm

the hulkster wrote:I have had simular sort of experiences down at 13th beach. I think they are called "Soul". They took over a reasonably popular break and as i looked like going out for a paddle the death stare from the throngs were surprising to say the least, i went out up the beach anyhow just to avoid the hassle. BUt at the time i didi think to myself what right did they have to take over a break. None i would have thought. I guess the numbers they had there assured they had it to themselves. But it does piss me off to think anyone has the right to a break just becasue they have some sort of group happening (pro contests aside). Waves are for everyone to share.
Yep that's them! Soul!

Bunch of wankkers... also guilty of setting up speakers and blaring Jack Johnson at 140dB into the surf. :roll:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:56 pm

swvic wrote:Of course, ASA is now Surfing Australia

NC, do individual SA memberships afford some insurance cover? Pretty sure old ASA did. Guess I could look at SA website, but easier to ask you :)
I think only when you're competing in a Surfing Australia sanctioned event, or engaging in some other SA activity.

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:08 pm

reminds me i was on the mid coast last year during an epic swell. Local on a long board, spent half the morning dropping in on anyone and everyone with gay abandon - then the local boardriders comp started and he magically transformed into Mr Play-by-the-rules (geek) and tried to make us paddle down the beach while a bunch of local kiddies scrambld around the peak shitting themselves while epic wave after wave rolled through.

...to his credit Mr (geek) finally came to his senses and stopped being a complete nob.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:04 pm

it seems clear contest surfers/organisers are complete knobs

they based there worthless ego tripping comps on the base of threat :arrow:

1 physical violence ( but only in numbers)

2 verbal attack ( but only in numbers)

3Intimidation ( but only in numbers)

what a classy group indivuals/mobs/ sponsers/bussinessness.... also makes you wonder the quality parent who involves his kids in surf comps :idea: :?:

with the access too instant footage availiable via mobiles

some these thugs and there sponsers may have happily share breaks

or face paying out some $$$$$ in court

the Tudor case is interesting ( at least what i can find on the web)...bankrupt his famiy ))((

:idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:47 am

Girl comps are the funniest, they all prance around logo'd up and all 'blue crush' and their comp is by far the biggest on the local scene. I do Photo's for em and I have to say that out of the 40-50 'competitors' there are only 3 that can actually surf. I Photo'd the finals the other week and the winner of the under 18 girls did not even stand up on a wave, she just bellyied more than the others. Mind you there is no proob surfing when they are on because very few of em can actually paddle out the back anyway. I sell a lot more portraits and girly shots than surfing ones.
Roy Stewart

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:11 am

swvic wrote:Unless things have changed, if a group/club is ASA affiliated, they can have access rights. Club I surfed in on Morn Pen just had to inform relative authorities (rangers) about where and when. Not sure how it would stand up to legal challenge.
Wasn't Peninsula Surfriders was it? They still run comps at Rye every now and again, sometimes Gunnamatta. Never been an issue that I can recall really with them, plenty of banks for every one.

The Maladiction longboarders give me the shits. Especially when they block breaks like Shoreham or Flinders, as they do it almost always when nowhere else is working.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:21 pm

Nah, mate. The (once?) infamous Reef Boardriders.

Bit of angst between us and the Peninsula crew. We were wild and irresponsible. Got on well with the Peninsula Boardriders' party animals though. Admittedly, we had some long-term unemployed who augmented their income by dubious means.

I even copped a bit of shit even though I was pretty much always in my car with a roof tiling elevator and ladder on the fcuken roof. Honest as they come, I am