Watch out for...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

chrisb
Owl status

Re: Watch out for...

Post by chrisb » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:10 am

spork wrote:Yep, owned both of those at some stage, the 1750 was the best of the 105's especially the lightweight GTA. My spider was the Duetto, that was the one with the sloping tail (as in the pic above), the later ones had the Kamm inspired flat rear. Plus a SUD Ti (funnest car I ever owned) , Alfetta GTV2000 (VERY rust prone),Alfetta 1750 (nice car-french blue),105series GTV2000(restored it to showroom condition,then had to sell it cos a bub was on the way so bought a1750 Gulia super (the Italian cops used to drive em!), Alfa90 V6(a GTV6 with 4 doors, ugly as a hatfull) plus the rustiest car ever (it was recalled in Britain and customers got their money back) a Lancia Beta, went hard though, great engine. I'm currently in the market for a Brera, the best looking car to grace the roads in many years.
The Classic Throttle Shop at North Sydney had a fully-restored Alfetta GTV200 for sale recently for $17k. It looked beautiful but I couldn't be sure whether it had a bare metal restoration with all the rust properly cut out or just a putty filler job. :?: Tempting anyway.

Squidlips
barnacle

Post by Squidlips » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:42 am

my mate got round the whole car door key/ stolen valuable thing by welding a combination safe to the floor of his car under the drivers seat.

He'd just put his valuables in the safe along with his keys and leave the car open.

He also fitted a megaphone in the engine bay, so he could communicate with the car in front/ and hookers...

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Had one of these many years ago:
P1020094.JPG
P1020094.JPG (48.3 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
Drove beautifully when it was on the road but unfortunately the piece of shit spent more time with the mechanic than with me. If my hazy memory serves me correctly, the gearbox almost fell out once, the drive shaft dropped out twice & finally the gearbox completely shat itself before I got rid of it. Fcuking nightmare that thing was.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:30 pm

smnmntll wrote:
Grooter wrote:^^

I'd rather the up-coming 4C myself

Absolutely fcukign gorgeous but waaaay out of my price range
Looks like something a 14 yr old boy would design if you asked him to come up with a really badass sports car
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:05 pm

smnmntll wrote:
Grooter wrote:^^

I'd rather the up-coming 4C myself

Absolutely fcukign gorgeous but waaaay out of my price range
Looks like something a 14 yr old boy would design if you asked him to come up with a really badass sports car
Thats probably true in a way, thats the roll of fantasy though, to bring out the unusual and desirable and the Italians are pretty much the only ones with the guts to make that kind of car in the current homogenised world. Yes the 4C is my choice , but I measured the Brera and I can still fit my boards in, I'm not sure about the 4C. There are currently 17 Brera's on car sales.com I really like that blue V6...yum
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:28 pm

Hillman Hunter.jpg
My first car -
It had a sticker on the side which said "Your passport to adventure". I thought that was so Peter Stuyvesant cool when i was 17.
Only 3 cylinders worked and the wasted fuel from the dud cylinder would build up in the manifold and on the odd occasion flames would come out of the exhaust pipe. I thought that was Batman cool.
It used to overheat (refer above), especially on long hauls. The only way to stop it overheating and keep driving was to turn the heater up full - not so cool in summer.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:11 pm

daryl wrote:
Trev wrote:
chrisb wrote:
spork wrote:I live over the road from the beach, no rust yet. Mind you some of them where really bad for it in the past.
A shame too cause the '60's - 70's Alfas such as the 105 GTV series and Spyders were amongst the most beautiful cars ever made. In addition to rust the damned things also quickly went out of tune.

How reliable has yours been :?:
They lost their reliability over the years. The 1600 GTV was almost bulletproof.
But, I don't understand how you say a car with 2 DCOE sidedraft Webers can go out of tune. They had no adjustments. You just changed the jets to get the performance result you wanted and they stayed like that. I had a set in my rally car for about five years and apart from cleaning the K&N filters after every event, didn't have to touch them.
Busted the engine mount on a 1750 GTV in one go, almost bulletproof
How???
Dropping the clutch?
No, I guess not. It was difficult to spin the wheels in them. Just seemed to wind up and keep winding up, faster and faster.Lovely things to drive.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:40 am

^
Yeah, sticks out dunnit. I s'pose my big 4WD with a shiny prime mover type of bullbar reeks of small cock, but stuff it, I can go anywhere, see the traffic ahead, and after years of looking up at other cars I dig it. Funny not, how little cars target it to cut in front in traffic.
Trev wrote:
daryl wrote:
Trev wrote:
chrisb wrote:
spork wrote:I live over the road from the beach, no rust yet. Mind you some of them where really bad for it in the past.
A shame too cause the '60's - 70's Alfas such as the 105 GTV series and Spyders were amongst the most beautiful cars ever made. In addition to rust the damned things also quickly went out of tune.

How reliable has yours been :?:
They lost their reliability over the years. The 1600 GTV was almost bulletproof.
But, I don't understand how you say a car with 2 DCOE sidedraft Webers can go out of tune. They had no adjustments. You just changed the jets to get the performance result you wanted and they stayed like that. I had a set in my rally car for about five years and apart from cleaning the K&N filters after every event, didn't have to touch them.
Busted the engine mount on a 1750 GTV in one go, almost bulletproof
How???
Dropping the clutch?
No, I guess not. It was difficult to spin the wheels in them. Just seemed to wind up and keep winding up, faster and faster.Lovely things to drive.
Jerking it hard around a street corner, possibly a bit of clutch dropping involved, to boot.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:23 am

As amatter of fact, I do have a small cock.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:17 pm

saw one of those T Spark thingamys parked on the side of the road yesterday with the bonnet up and three lanes of traffic flying by. 8)
Old mate did NOT look happy.
Couldn't tell whether the smoke was coming from under the bonnet or the back of his neck. :oops:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:50 pm

smnmntll wrote:There's just something about really predatory, tryhard, aggressive-looking cars, they're lame as shit. The guys who buy them must have really tiny cocks
LoL o-k.

Since we're on that topic... I wanna Charger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYLtSl6R ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RyPamyW ... ure=relmfu

Ha, also, when I was in Seattle in 2010 I was at this largeish live music venue that was packed with seppos and a few poms to watch the England USA World Cup game on a huge screen, this ad came on prior to the game, needless to say it was popular with the crowd in their already semi-inebriated state ($3 16 ouncers of PBR and red stripe!!) ;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezk0e1VL ... ure=relmfu

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:46 am

WANDERER wrote:
smnmntll wrote:There's just something about really predatory, tryhard, aggressive-looking cars, they're lame as shit. The guys who buy them must have really tiny cocks
LoL o-k.

Ha, also, when I was in Seattle in 2010 I was at this largeish live music venue that was packed with seppos and a few poms to watch the England USA World Cup game on a huge screen, this ad came on prior to the game, needless to say it was popular with the crowd in their already semi-inebriated state ($3 16 ouncers of PBR and red stripe!!) ;
Those ads are classic!
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:30 am

Grooter wrote:
WANDERER wrote:
LoL o-k.

Those ads are classic!
Looks like a Camaro, but yeah, was the only decent new American car in sight there.