PIPE

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Re: PIPE

Post by jimmy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:50 pm

^^^^ I guess that is where the line is drawn. There are journalists and story tellers.

No problem if it's the latter and I read and mostly enjoy all surf writing (as long as it's not re hashed press releases) but there is a big difference between a journalist and a writer.

Or you could check out this ..http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 6224762112
Last edited by jimmy on Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:00 pm

Interesting no one knows what happened. Personally i don't give a fig, but it makes the whole industry look like a typical international mega business, happy to conceal things that make them look bad. Nothing like a real "surf" company should be.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Bad form, i know but...
http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showfl ... n=0&page=0

(takes a while to load)

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:32 pm

Pawle's final paragraph was spot on... The lunatic conspiracy fringe would have no bullets if the surf companies were forthcoming with info and made themselves available to the media more often.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Braithy wrote:the surf companies were forthcoming with info and made themselves available to the media more often.
wat a crock shit...if the "SURF"media did more than just act a pimps to companys we wouldn't be having this debate :idea:

i know more about wat went on....and i never left noosa.....u gotta be kidding me braithy :?:

but,,,,your one em...ain't ya :arrow: :idea:
Last edited by mustkillmulloway on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

no wonder no one takes the asp seriously....really...how can ya :?:
Last edited by mustkillmulloway on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

i'm just glad the rumour a billabong surfer fiddled with a kid isn't true
and thats why the hawaaians bashed em
to be honest :!:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:53 pm

C'mon fong, can you take anything related to surfing seriously??

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:55 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:
Braithy wrote:the surf companies were forthcoming with info and made themselves available to the media more often.
wat a crock shit...if the media did more than just act a pimps to companys we wouldn't be having this debate :idea:

i know more about wat went on....and i never left noosa.....u gotta be kidding me braithy :?:

but,,,,your one em...ain't ya :arrow: :idea:
Correct Fong..
Last edited by jimmy on Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hatchnam wrote:
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:58 pm

If only there was a member who was there, and is also a surf journo, surely they'd have enough contacts to give us an idea of what's going on. Can't imagine a surf journo who was on the island at the time not knowing what happened.

In this day and age, a whole industries image can come crashing down pretty quickly, and if there's anything hidden, it acts like a giant hammer hitting a huge wedge instantly, out of nowhere. Just a thought.
Last edited by Beerfan on Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:01 pm

:lol:
Beerfan wrote:If only there was a member who was there, and is also a surf journo, surely they'd have enough contacts to give us an idea of what's going on. Can't imagine a surf journo who was on the island at the time not knowing what happened.
:lol: :roll:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:12 pm

Fark Fong... It all starts with the companies. They pay the bills, open doors and basically dictate terms.

If I were to write about a Rip Curl rider in a not too pleasant light, and Curl had $150 000 of advertising tied up in my bosses publication, and upon getting wind of said article before its released, said theyd pull their advertising $$ should the story go to print, I would have no article or no job.

This phenom is not limited to surfing. Look around at other sports. Both footy codes have more coverups in a season than surfing in a decade.

Joey Johns and Fitler were coke whores. Lockyer use to take pingers like they were water. Can't recall any articles lifting those lids, yet I know for a fact they made it to an editor's table. Rugby league week had an article at print over the Cronulla sex scandal 3 years before the story broke on tv.
Kunji wrote:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:15 pm

Braithy, im sure you're spot on, i don't doubt it, but we're expected to believe surfing is "different" to NRL, and more "pure". Hahaha so funny. Same as any other big business sport these days. All about the dollar, fU&K the actual sport!!

BTW do you believe there are no "coke/insert other drug whores" in surfing?
Last edited by Beerfan on Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:16 pm

"So if the conspiracy theorists are wrong, why follow these rumours up at all? Mossop says it’s a futile exercise. “You should be out surfing instead,” he told me. That’s true. And, by the time you read this, I will be. But when the surf media ignores allegations of a fight between two sponsored athletes, especially in the often heated environs of the North Shore, and, in the absence of facts, the fans start coming to their own conclusions about it, a reasonable journalist feels compelled to ask reasonable questions."

I guess that's the difference between a surf writer and a surf journalist. If AI's problems were allowed to be published as well as Sarge's indiscretions then maybe, just maybe there'd be less affected people.And quite possibly one 3 time world champ still alive..

Why the silence? $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Hatchnam wrote:
swvic wrote:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:20 pm

Why the silence? $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Shit, we know about what dane had for breakfast on the day of every one of his heats, how many fins KS surfed, and exactly what dims KS rode in the pipe final, but shit, a fight while the comp was going on and nothing?? hmmmmmm??

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:47 pm

UPDATE: Slater Tweets that the Pipe Masters should have been postponed: "Good thing they didn’t hold the Pipe event off til today. Would have been way too good. I tried."

:shock: :?

welll...wtf would he know :roll:

just cause u win 11 titles and all.....not like he'd have any idea surf forecasting :roll:

did swellnet suggest they finish it early? they claim be the asp forecast spelicast :roll:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:19 am

Fongy, you cute little paranoid potatoe ... Swellnet to my knowledge had nothing to do with finishing the pipemasters.

Kieren Perrow has done a ton of interviews since his win, and the call was made by Rarick and whoever he consults with. There were questions about holding off the comp for the next swell due to unfavourable winds. They only had to run 4 hours worth of heats ... Think about it. 6-8 foot pipe right in front of them, only 4 hours needed and everyone gets to get back to their families for Christmas, or hold off for a week, twiddle our thumbs and lose the momentum of an epic 2 days worth of surfing with a question about wind for the following swell.

PR nightmare, that would be.

And Slater is talking with 20/20 hindsight. Sure yesterday was better Pipe than the final day, but he wouldn't have bet his house on it a week ago. Speaking in hindsight is so easy, my daughter can do it.
Kunji wrote: