PIPE

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: PIPE

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:25 am

Beerfan wrote:Braithy, im sure you're spot on, i don't doubt it, but we're expected to believe surfing is "different" to NRL, and more "pure". Hahaha so funny. Same as any other big business sport these days. All about the dollar, fU&K the actual sport!!

BTW do you believe there are no "coke/insert other drug whores" in surfing?
There are, I've seen guys into it. But you talk about surfing being pure, its history is also steeped in tales of great drug taking & alcohol consumption to go along with great wave riding. RIght back to MP, and more recently Hoy and Emmerton.

Surely it's not a newsworthy story: "Surfer Takes Drugs!!"

Modern Surfing is only as pure as the money that holds the whole shebang together.

The whole irony about the drugs in the NRL, was the elite players were off limits. There were several guys through the 90's and early 2000's which got caught out with rec drugs and were penalised/ banned ... but the faces of rugby like Fittler and Johns were off limits.

Why?

Because they sold jerseys, bought people through the gates and enticed corporate sponsors.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:did the hawaiians not recieve there prize money :?: and why :?:
I can help with this: I was being a journalist at the time the ground-rules were laid.

It's not quite as Fred describes in his article.

A few years ago, the Hawaiian competitive surfing community, led by Liam McNamara, finally got the shits with just being allowed one wildcard to Pipe. They felt that since the Pipeline Posse crew had the world's most famous wave dialled better than half the top 44 (at the time it was 44), they should get a better crack at their home break.

After a lot of pretty much completely above-board pressure was applied, the tour pros, along with the then event sponsors Rip Curl and Randy et al, agreed to permit a 64-man main event system at Pipe and Pipe only. This would allow 16 local wildcards to enter the first round.

I say they agreed, but there was considerable tension within the agreement. The tour pros did NOT like this arrangement. For one thing, it introduced a serious luck factor into the last event of the year, their last shot at qualifying for the next year's tour. Job insecurity anyone? For another, it threatened to dilute the prizemoney (Rip Curl were not inclined to add $60,000 or so to the bottom line just so an extra 16 guys got 33rd place money). The pros seriously discussed boycotting the event altogether and some of 'em think they still should.

So the Posse for their part agreed to forgo whatever prizemoney they might earn until it'd covered the prizemoney of whomever of the top seeds they happened to defeat. (If a lot of the Posse made the quarters or whatever, their prizemoney would be more than adequate and they'd still get some; if the Posse bombed out, they'd get nothing; it adds up differently every time.)

This system has been in place since 2003 and I suspect the tensions are starting to fray, I don't think for instance that Evan V was involved in that original discussion so he probably doesn't feel as bound by it as some of the other local crew.

FWIW while I sympathise to some extent with the tour pros -- how would any of like that kind of job insecurity? -- I think the Pipeline is a special case, it really is in a league of its own both as a surf spot and a competition, and rather than let this tension fray out and make a mess of it, perhaps the ASP should encourage Billabong to kick the prizemoney up and cover the whole group of competitors. You can't say they don't earn it; this morning the Triple Crown was PR-ing their record-beating online streams, claiming 10-something million viewers. I know it's another $100,000 or so, but if the event is that kick-arse, maybe it's worth it...if for nothing else, just for the aloha, perhaps.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:38 am

ps usually the facts of a matter (ie above) are a fair bit more boring than the conspiracy theories. But (also usually) the stories behind the facts are way more entertaining than either. The stories behind these facts -- Liam and his fantastic outsize personality, for instance, and how he rallied the crew to get something happening -- are no exception.

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:45 am

encourage

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:07 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
mustkillmulloway wrote:did the hawaiians not recieve there prize money :?: and why :?:
I can help with this: I was being a journalist at the time the ground-rules were laid.

It's not quite as Fred describes in his article.

A few years ago, the Hawaiian competitive surfing community, led by Liam McNamara, finally got the shits with just being allowed one wildcard to Pipe. They felt that since the Pipeline Posse crew had the world's most famous wave dialled better than half the top 44 (at the time it was 44), they should get a better crack at their home break.

After a lot of pretty much completely above-board pressure was applied, the tour pros, along with the then event sponsors Rip Curl and Randy et al, agreed to permit a 64-man main event system at Pipe and Pipe only. This would allow 16 local wildcards to enter the first round.

I say they agreed, but there was considerable tension within the agreement. The tour pros did NOT like this arrangement. For one thing, it introduced a serious luck factor into the last event of the year, their last shot at qualifying for the next year's tour. Job insecurity anyone? For another, it threatened to dilute the prizemoney (Rip Curl were not inclined to add $60,000 or so to the bottom line just so an extra 16 guys got 33rd place money). The pros seriously discussed boycotting the event altogether and some of 'em think they still should.

So the Posse for their part agreed to forgo whatever prizemoney they might earn until it'd covered the prizemoney of whomever of the top seeds they happened to defeat. (If a lot of the Posse made the quarters or whatever, their prizemoney would be more than adequate and they'd still get some; if the Posse bombed out, they'd get nothing; it adds up differently every time.)

This system has been in place since 2003 and I suspect the tensions are starting to fray, I don't think for instance that Evan V was involved in that original discussion so he probably doesn't feel as bound by it as some of the other local crew.

FWIW while I sympathise to some extent with the tour pros -- how would any of like that kind of job insecurity? -- I think the Pipeline is a special case, it really is in a league of its own both as a surf spot and a competition, and rather than let this tension fray out and make a mess of it, perhaps the ASP should encourage Billabong to kick the prizemoney up and cover the whole group of competitors. You can't say they don't earn it; this morning the Triple Crown was PR-ing their record-beating online streams, claiming 10-something million viewers. I know it's another $100,000 or so, but if the event is that kick-arse, maybe it's worth it...if for nothing else, just for the aloha, perhaps.
Thanks for the insight Nick, thats interesting background for us plebs!

Ridiculous decision from the ASP though - how can the same argument not be made for just about every other break in the world? I bet there are plenty of locals at Snapper or Bells that feel they have the place wired better than the visiting pro's do too, but they dont have the intimidation factor that the Hawaiian crew do.

It goes against the geberal theme of setting standard regulations that just about every other sporting body in the world strives to achieve, and to me seems like our sports ruling body are running scared against a small group...

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:59 am

What gets me is, this is all over 60 thou ... Billabong made 145+ million last year which was a down year mostly due to the Japan Tsunami.

For a company that usually makes 200 mil per year and is expanding, 60 grand is deadset ashtray money.

If anything happened in terms of violence at the Billabong house, due to rising tensions over 60 grand and paying local surfers, they (Bong) ought not to complain too much.

We make our beds.
Kunji wrote:

Lolo
Grommet

Post by Lolo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:33 am

That's a pretty good point Braithy.

If Quik can throw a Mill at a shit contest in NY (even as a once off) surely Billabong can come up with the chump change to pay everyone their due prize money at the most prestigious contest of the year. Shit the ASP should dictate it as part of the event licence.

Like NC said though. I think it's pretty stupid to be throwing a bunch of very dangerous wild cards into the mix in a contest that is deciding people's careers and often world titles.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:32 pm

damo666 wrote:
Thanks for the insight Nick, thats interesting background for us plebs!

yeah, wat he said.....now i know the truth that :?: i can see all conspircy b/s is just that

b/s

mind u.....the truth is all most stranger than the fiction :shock:

why would they allow all this ill will be created over what i think is the best contest on the whole tour

i mean wildcards should get equal prizemoney....that seems such a lack respect to the local surfers and place

imo
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

localbogan
regular

Post by localbogan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:25 pm

What I don't like is when a surf journalist/writer tells you that they are truly objective, in fact takes offence when you have the temerity to suggest otherwise, then turns out to be as weak as water when time comes to ask some tough questions of those within the industry

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:40 pm

So lets see. The conspiracy seems to go that after a bunch of disgruntled locals had a blue over prize money Eddie Rothman ordered the whole north shore off limits to surfers. Nick was sworn to secrecy about this deal and in reward the Carrolls and RCJ were exempt so they could surf Sunset without the crowds. 8)
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:00 pm

^ :mrgreen:

it a strange gig this surf media.....they get in more trouble for what they don't write...go figure :idea:

i say we shoot the lot them at dawn :roll: :wink:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:16 pm

Beanpole wrote:So lets see. The conspiracy seems to go that after a bunch of disgruntled locals had a blue over prize money Eddie Rothman ordered the whole north shore off limits to surfers. Nick was sworn to secrecy about this deal and in reward the Carrolls and RCJ were exempt so they could surf Sunset without the crowds. 8)
Magnificent.

Keerist though Beanpole, even your flight of fancy can't compete with the US surf media (including 2.0) struggling to understand Kieren Perrow winning Pipe and finally deciding he is a sort of battling working class hero sort of person.

Yes, the very same Kieren Perrow who made the semis of that crazy, infamous Gotcha Pro at Teahupo'o in 1998, the one that first stunned the surfing world with images of 12-15' Chopes. Who has been part of the top end pro surfing structure pretty much ever since. Who is renowned for his ferocious big wave charging and remarkable intelligence. Who ran second to Jezza Flores in last year's Pipe by a hair. And who went on to, among other things, become an ASP Board member for the past several years.

Yeah he is a real battler that Kieren. Completely out of sight. Who could possibly have imagined him winning Pipeline.

Oh well I guess they didn't have the John-John Heir To Kelly storyline available.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:36 am

Ode to Pipe by KK ‘suck me’

Pipe shmite
Who gives a sh-te
All this gripe
Over so much tripe.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:48 am

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:53 am

Beerfans wife/sister txt’ing him the latest gossip about Pipe.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:15 am

Having a wife that's your sister, sure would cut down on Christmas present shopping.
Kunji wrote:

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:28 am

Braithy wrote:What gets me is, this is all over 60 thou ... Billabong made 145+ million last year which was a down year mostly due to the Japan Tsunami.

For a company that usually makes 200 mil per year and is expanding, 60 grand is deadset ashtray money.
Here you go Bwaithy... http://www.smh.com.au/business/billabon ... 1p1eo.html
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:35 am

jimmy wrote:
Braithy wrote:What gets me is, this is all over 60 thou ... Billabong made 145+ million last year which was a down year mostly due to the Japan Tsunami.

Here you go Bwaithy... http://www.smh.com.au/business/billabon ... 1p1eo.html

Heh ... Sensational headline. Billabong wiped out.

Bitches, you still made 70 million on the half year.
Kunji wrote: