PIPE

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

JaM71
charger

Re: PIPE

Post by JaM71 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:06 am

I am fortunate enough to have surfed MAriasias where Medina comes from. They get plenty of heavy waves and have good set ups......Slater comes from Florida and from memory copped similar criticism when he was a teenager and we all know how that turned out.......he may not become a pipe master but he could certainly do well enough to be the first Braso world champ
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

ether
regular

Post by ether » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:15 am

clay wrote:Anyone else think Slater was overscored in his quarter with John John, almost becoming a regular occurence.
Watching it live I thought so too. After seeing the replays I wasn't so sure.

I'd like to see the range of scores given by the judges for the critical scoring waves. It would be interesting to see the differences in scores given by individual judges rather than just the (averaged) total. Can you view that info anywhere?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:21 am

I'm pretty sure you can get the judging spread off the website.

It was such a lineball call but I think in that case the benefit of the doubt has to go to the "team" playing attacking football, if I could mangle an analogy.

Slater's gambit in the closing minutes was so fcuking skilful and risky I think the benefit of the doubt deserved to be his.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:28 am

BA wrote:Got some friends over there watching it live. They reckon it's ten times gnarlier than on TV. The beach literally shakes.
Nick Carroll wrote:Your friends are right. Pipe on the webcast is a fcuken pale shadow of itself in person. Really, it is. You want to watch with that in mind.
Absolutely. I haven't seen Pipe good, but I've seen it big.
I'd waited for 10 years to get to Hawaii, and arrived just before a swell that put the Eddie on standby. Surf report on the news said 20-25 ft, with 50ft on the outer reefs.
There are some great hikes above Waimea... :)

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:00 pm

I am in massive agreement with Nick's massive disagreement with el rancho's massive assessment of Medina as a tube dodger and a hoax. In my massive opinion he was like totally channeling Gerry man.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:08 am

i am i the only one who thinks it a shame pro surfing can't break out its old ( decade old :roll: ) contest format and put on a one day contest that could been held and finished on that first day of mindless surf :idea:

i'm not taking anything away from kp win in small...shitty waves :roll:

but than again....maybe i just did :shock:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:13 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
You're talking about a 17 year old kid with no prior history of surfing the Pipeline, with two major event wins under his belt out of five, and with the confidence to control his performance in a heat in order to learn more about the world's most famous and hotly contested surf zone.

Ah but he is Brazilian eh, well that makes all the difference does it.

yeah its just rooted hey :roll: the judges should took all that into consideration and up scored his tube dodging

and they would have :arrow:

if pipe was in rio :roll:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:02 am

Laughable. All of this.

Tube dodging at big pipe isn't even possible. Unless you straighten out over the reef, which is worse for your wellbeing than being inside it.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:32 pm

ahem.
i watched 2 of medina's heats live(day 2) and in the context of the day he flaked and just got lucky. good for him.

i don't think the judging was unfair, it was just weak that his performance got him into the quarters of a maxing pipe masters.

the reason i raised it is because a large part of the surf media is creaming their pants over the kid, rhetorically asking "just how many titles will this kid win", the "next slater" blah blah.

not his fault, he prolly just wants to do airs and win a title for brazil. nuthin rong with that.

also, is it weird that it was his first time surfing Pipe? they have prime events there, what about the volcom pro earlier in the year. it seems odd that guys can be that far into their career and have never had a winter there.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:59 pm

Wow, seems like funky cold has a few haters on here. I must admit to being skeptical of his first win in europe, but he won well in the good old USA imho. The 'next big thing' tag has been aimed at quite a few of the new crew this year including John John Florence, Owen, Julian (who?) and a veritable plethora of wannabee's to the point where the 'old guard' of Joel, mick, and former 'next big thing' Jordy Smith are being talked of as has-beens. Meanwhile Slatts is scaring the pants off em all and the person who wins a title without him in full comp mode will defo feel relieved his heart wasn't in it.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:06 am

I have to get something off my chest.

1)I don’t give a rats about Hawaii(never been into circuses)
2)I don’t give a rats about pro surfers(they’re only for people who don’t have lives themselves)
3)I particularly don’t give a f-ck about surfing competitions. The whole concept of judging surfing is beyond me
4)People who ‘name drop’ should be shot

Things I care about or interest me

1)The fact that 2 Australians stuck it up the Hawaiians in their own back yard
2)Watching Shane Dorian et al surfing massive Chopes
3)Watching RCJ surfing massive slabs
4)Watching Flea et al surfing massive Mavericks
5)Watching surfers eat it out massive Shippies
6)People fighting on the beach

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:22 am

I thought Funky Cold did pretty well. The heat I watched against Dorian FC copied Evan Valiere's heat tactics by getting nice lined up inside tubes. They were good waves and he surfed them well. He got 4s. Valiere's got 7s. Maybe Valieres were bigger? Anyway for a 17 year old he did great.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:33 pm

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:28 pm

merkin wrote:
kreepykrawly wrote:
Things I care about or interest me

6)People fighting on the beach
Here - this might cheer you up KK... Merry Christmas and a head kicken New Year :lol:

Knuckle starts about 1.30 min

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/201 ... sport.html

That video actually made me angrier. No respect given to technique....still though it’s nice to see people settling things outta court. :D

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:58 pm

loofy wrote:Going back to the supposed fisties at pipe, Nick Carrol - can you enlighten us as to what happened or have you been sworn to secrecy as well?
Well I didn't talk to anyone involved in it, didn't see it, and I'm not interested in it, so not much good to yas on that score.

Fortunately was out of the mainstream Surf Industry Loop for most of my week or so in HI...but I bet they were gossiping about the fisties from Lei-Lei's to Haleiwa Joe's and all the way back to fcuken Costa Mesa.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:06 pm

i find it amazing how the worlds surf media all suddenly went on hoildays during the pipe masters and have no interest in it :roll:

i'd just like a straight answer :arrow:

did the hawaiians not recieve there prize money :?: and why :?:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:31 pm

MKM, why would the people who make a living out of telling stories, tell a story that would affect their bread n butter every december?? Think about it. Im not surprised "no one" knows hehehe