Hurley Pro

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Hurley Pro

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:20 pm

From my loose understanding of the scoring ... The reason we see higher scores towards the end of a heat, is:

If Slater nails a 10 on his first wave of a heat, and he's next wave is better, where do you go from there?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:59 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:18 pm

earlier, it was JW, Mick and Parko...

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:59 pm

Anyone surfed that place? Fark it looks fun. Although I guess the crowds would make Manly look like a secret spot.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:26 pm

BA wrote:Anyone surfed that place? Fark it looks fun. Although I guess the crowds would make Manly look like a secret spot.
Nup ... but I'd trade any of the others I've surfed to have that place with four out. Looks like a playground. Even when it's maxing out, it has a fun element to it.

Might be the wave I most wanna surf.
Kunji wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:35 pm

Trestles?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:38 pm

Yeah, trestles. Rhymes with Nestles.
Kunji wrote:

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:53 pm

Fark me. If that is the wave you most wanna surf then you do need to grow a dick..

Of all the waves in the world you pick Trestles. :roll:
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:47 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:Fark me. If that is the wave you most wanna surf then you do need to grow a dick..

Not trestles with the whole zoo out there...

Surfed pipe, sunset, g-land, one palm, cloudbreak and restaraunts. Grew up on our right hand points...

Be great to score Trestles at 6 foot with four out there... That'd be insane.
Kunji wrote:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:48 pm

braithy...i forgive u...but your living in the past :cry:

surf cams...surf forecast sites....every other wannabe who can pass himself off as "surf media"will have everyone ready for it if its on :idea:

failing that.....first 4 in the water at daybreak will txt there 40 best friends it's on anyways

welcome real life

trestles :shock: ...u want surf .....trestles :shock:

give me :arrow: Our favourite point with four out.....u can have trestles too the cows come in for milkin :roll:

pusseys showboat wave...yanks and pro surfers love it....trestles....what a average beachie that is

clear the hype out ya eyes mate....it makes crescent head look hard core :roll:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:35 am

It's not about being hardcore ... I could care less about that shit nowadays. It was just a comment to surf anywhere in the world on a great day with four others out, I'd go there. Just a completely hypothetical situation, fongy. :)

Having worked in surf media, I've been pretty blessed to paw over photos on the lightbox, of Trestles going insane.

I love peaks and A-frame setups.

I remember when the superbank was offering up Kay long rides and I said South Straddie is the best wave on the goldcoast when asked at the old job ... and was nearly laughed out of the room. Horses for courses, huh?

Kunji wrote:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:49 am

I'm with you braithy.
Trestles featured so heavily in the surf movies we saw back in the 60's
I would love to surf there with just 4 out.
Besides, I regularly get my local with 4 out. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:51 am

TrevG wrote:I'm with you braithy.
Trestles featured so heavily in the surf movies we saw back in the 60's
I would love to surf there with just 4 out.
Besides, I regularly get my local with 4 out. 8)
Yeah I know Trev ... Like fong said, I'm living in the past. Which I admit, I tend to do. But, I can't see the purpose in choosing to surf your own point with 4 out either, if you can choose anywhere to go. I get that for midweek winter surfs as it is!

And obviously, we're not all hellman like Jimmy, who would no doubt choose 15 foot mavericks, because you know ... his penis is so massive.
Last edited by crabmeat thompson on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kunji wrote:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:56 am

Braithy wrote:I can't see the purpose in wanting to surf your own point with 4 out.
Out of context I know, but I couldn't resist it.................... :lol: :shock:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:31 am

TrevG wrote:
Braithy wrote:I can't see the purpose in wanting to surf your own point with 4 out.
Out of context I know, but I couldn't resist it.................... :lol: :shock:

I don't now what you're talking about. :oops:
Kunji wrote:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:36 am

Braithy wrote:
jimmy1501 wrote:Fark me. If that is the wave you most wanna surf then you do need to grow a dick..

Surfed pipe, sunset, g-land, one palm, cloudbreak and restaraunt.

Jimmy went quiet pretty quick there hahaha

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:11 pm

buzzy wrote:The fact that someone surfs well in the late stages of a heat might add to the dramatic tension but the job of a judge is to objectively and consistently score what they see. If judges are truly overscoring waves because they are caught late in the heat, and that's a recognised part of the criteria, I reckon that's laughable. Pathetic. Etc.
braithy's partly right, sometimes scores creep a little higher later in the heat because the judges have given themselves the room. Not always but. If judges go a little too big early, they sometimes find themselves pinching down better rides later. Both instances are pretty rare really.

btw Judges make quite a point of removing the "will he or won't he??" context from their judgement of the ride. The dramatic context is ours to enjoy, but they have to get beyond that and assess the value of each ride in a purely technical performance context. Panels have been working on that for over 20 years and in recent times have pretty much got on top of it. They've "spoiled the drama" of a few heats in the process -- but later on, the calls have almost always looked right.

It's also extremely difficult to know what a competitor is thinking and/or the pressure he/she may or may not be feeling without having spent a lot of time carefully observing and talking with him/her throughout the event. So what we see at a distance as "dramatic context" may be entirely different from the competitor's POV.

I think if you go back and have another look at those two closing rides outside the heat of the spectator's moment, you will probably identify what earned KS the higher score and what must have been more obvious to the panel from their vantage point viewing the whole lineup at once: a much better wave, surfed critically but in control with good flow and power on the whole way through, finished cleanly. He coulda done more with it but that's why he didn't get a 9.8.

Owen had to ride the wave he caught and did a good job of it, but it didn't give him enough opportunities, he did amazingly well to extract a take-the-lead score out of it.

The biggest thing I got from watching it was that both of them are very much on right now, if the priority had flipped for that closing ride it would have been O's win. With just a little shift here or there, every one of the last three finals could have gone the other way. Pretty sick.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:19 pm

BA wrote:Anyone surfed that place? Fark it looks fun. Although I guess the crowds would make Manly look like a secret spot.
I surfed Lowers for six summers straight from 91 to 97, and numerous times since. It is super fcuken fun. And not always Manly-like, a persistent local will get quite a few good sth swell mornings with just 15 or so guys out.

It's got its own vibe because you can't drive up to it, you've gotta ride a bike or run for about a K and the time/distance seems to separate you from the human machinery of SoCal.

Only ever saw four or five violent incidents there which isn't bad for that many hours surfing a well known focal surf spot. Usually they were kind of funny, like the day my mate Byron held Poto underwater for hogging waves during a free surf pre-US Open.

Had a few days better than Braithy's pics too.

I should write a short story about surfing there hey. But not for the benefit of you c u nts. :lol: