CW+

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

thermalben
charger

Re: CW+

Post by thermalben » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:26 pm

Oh, and if you're comparing us with the competition in Victoria, it's also worth tallying up how many surf reporters they have - we've got six Victorians in total, each of whom uploads a couple of images with their report.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:55 am

If swellnet wants a cabarita reporter, PM me.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:15 am

Braithy wrote:If swellnet wants a cabarita reporter, PM me.
Cabarita?

CABARITA?

It's Bogangar!!!!!!!!!! 8) :wink:
Cabarita is just the housing development.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:29 am

I thought Bogangar was the town and Cabarita was the beach, sort of like how it used to be with Harbord and Freshwater.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:34 am

TMC, not just a pretty face.

Beachside of highway = cabarita beach
Other side = Bogangar.

But, anytime you can weasel the word 'bogan' into your postal address, I feel it's winning.
Kunji wrote:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:47 am

Braithy wrote:TMC, not just a pretty face.

Beachside of highway = cabarita beach
Other side = Bogangar.

But, anytime you can weasel the word 'bogan' into your postal address, I feel it's winning.
That just shows how young you guys are.
Cabarita was a housing development begun in the 60's at Bogangar. In those days Bogangar covered the whole area including the headland which, IIRC was originally Norries Headland. Norries fell into disuse and in the 60's it was all Bogangar. Then came "Cabarita"and "Cabarita Beach" but Bogangar still referred to the headland area as a point of difference.
Showing my age I know but Bogangar it was and Bogangar it always will be.
It was named by the aboriginals in honour of the great feeds of pippies they used to get there. I'll always remember the schools of rays you used to see beneath you as you surfed.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:12 am

Hey Trev, there's plenty of older crew here that still call the point Norries and the beach, Norries beachies ...

Interesting. I knew Bogangar was indigenous, but never knew what it translated to. Cheers for that.
Kunji wrote:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:26 am

I don't care what it's called......we don't need a surf reporter there!!! :evil:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:49 am

Don't look at me as evil, Don ... Just a guy who likes to share the love. Can we hug this out, big fella?

In seriousness though, there's not too many places in this stretch of coastline which are secret ... the less crowded places are less crowded because they're hard to surf and you need to have pro-athlete stamina to stay on them or get out there.

Reports will not change these fundamentals and make them easier to surf.
Kunji wrote:

nosedrip

Post by nosedrip » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:12 am

What are the odds that CW rushes our and buys a whole lot of new cams - given that CW tends to follow whatever SW tends to do. Historically SN makes a change and CW matches it.

What I find odd is that there are about a million people who work for CW while SN seems to survive on a much smaller staff. And the money raised through advertising on CW would probably pay pittance. Also - punch in CW and SN domain names into any website that assesses the commercial value of a domain name and SN is consistently valued at a greater amount.

Geez....unless CW is funded somehow - and is playing the 'long game' (a bit like Gillard and carbon tax - and we know how successful that's going to turn out) - I wouldn't want to be trying to balance the books over there.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:41 am

nosedrip wrote:Geez....unless CW is funded somehow
They have traditionally been bankrolled by private funds. The enthusiasm for writing the cheques is waning, from reports, hence the change in business models the last few years.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:32 am

nosedrip wrote:What are the odds that CW rushes our and buys a whole lot of new cams - given that CW tends to follow whatever SW tends to do. Historically SN makes a change and CW matches it.
I believe the new CW+ is going to have high definition (HD) cams. Not sure how these will compare to the current and/or new SN cams?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:33 am

Braithy wrote:Don't look at me as evil, Don ... Just a guy who likes to share the love. Can we hug this out, big fella?
No need to share Braithy!!! Keep it like it is.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:45 am

Are HD cams really necessary for surf checks? Surely you watch the camera, is there surf; yes or no? You don't need it in chrystal clear definition at 60 fps.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:47 am

'HD surfcams' are an interesting claim. The lowest video quality that can be classified 'HD' is 720p, which has a frame size of 1,280×720 pixels (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video). Such a frame size is full screen on most computer monitors.

However, surfcams are generally broadcast via standard ADSL1/2+ lines, of which bandwidth limitations suggest that streaming live HD surfcam vision is almost impossible.

From what I've seen so far, CW's surfcams are not HD quality - but perhaps they're about to upgrade their entire network? Either that or they're broadcasting SD vision from HD-capable cams (so the 'HD' claim would be only partially correct). I'm not sure.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:16 am

Surfline also claim to broadcast HD cams, but can they do this as the States has a real broadband network as opposed to our toy broadband network we have here in Oz?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:25 am

probably, most people seem to have unlimited download cable broadband, using the same cable as the pay TV.

Maybe they just mean "Higher definition than they used to be" :?:

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:27 am

Surfline Pipe Cam is pretty clear picture, but I still get the same information I would in SD.