Keep smacking my leash foot

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

wjp
Grommet

Keep smacking my leash foot

Post by wjp » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:56 am

Just wondering if anyone else gets this. Since moving to a shorter board I keep smashing the top/inner side of my leash foot. I get two good thumps every session. Its starting to get really really painful now, and looking pretty bad. Sometimes its just the leash pulling hard against it as the board buggers of one way and me another, but lately I've been smacking it against the board.
This morning I somehow managed to put a hole in the rail near the nose and I'm thinking the serious pain in the left foot is the reason. Just hope its not broken (my foot that is!).

Anyone else or just me? (or is this kook syndrome?..)

TMC
Harry the Hat

Re: Keep smacking my leash foot

Post by TMC » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:14 am

Your standing backwards. Try putting the leash on your right foot, and put your left foot forward, you will see immediate improvments.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

wjp
Grommet

Post by wjp » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:54 am

nuffink ngo wrote:wear a booty.
yeah I have the last couple of sessions. Still doesn't stop me hitting it though :|

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:16 am

Maybe buy a second leash, the two should cancel each other out, and you will never lose your board.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:24 am

Maybe get a bigger leash?
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:27 am

Wearing a bootie provides some padding but also a bigger target area. You'll bump the foot more but it'll hurt less.

Basically you're bumping your foot because a mix of your paddle/pop up fitness isn't quite there yet as you adjust to the shortboard and, possibly, the shortboard you are using is slightly undervolumed and/or too narrow, with the board bogging a bit on takeoff and consequently you bumping the foot.

I'd suggest taking off the bootie, doing a few laps swimming and some pushups and keep surfing. Within a week or two your fitness should be enough you stop bumping your foot. If it persists you might need to look at a slightly bigger board.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:28 am

Maybe try bodyboarding.

wjp
Grommet

Post by wjp » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:38 am

BA wrote:Maybe try bodyboarding.
yeah that will help.

It happens when getting churned in the waves not popping up. Just me then it seems.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:41 pm

if you can't stop your foot hitting, might as well put it to good use and kick tmc in the head. sure, there's not much sport in beating-up a right-hander as they can't adjust to anything coming out of leftfield and so leave themselves open, but who said it needs to be sporting to be fun.

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:50 am

Never ever heard of this. Do you have 3 foot leash or what? Only issue I ever have is the car key poking out of the key pocket and scratching up my ankle.
The wave at Curl Curl is so good they had to name it twice :mrgreen:

lawny
Grommet

Post by lawny » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:25 am

i had this trouble with an older FCS leash that was seized up... got a new leash and all good... i normally wear a calf leggie on my bigger board though!