Long boarders and short on the same break

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Re: Long boarders and short on the same break

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:55 am

Beery, I hope none of you were muttering "Three's a crowd" under your breath. :lol:
Buzzy I do the same but never mind an extra 1/8" for me its just an extra foot or two!!!!
Only a rat can win the rat race.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:11 am

no injuries as yet ( touch wood ) but I ride mostly short boards ( mini-simmons and fat wide semi finless stuff ) and I like volume too, I think its a big advantage especially if put in the right board the right way, I quite like seeing guys on wafers in crowded line ups, if they cant get em, it just increases my chances of pickin up more waves.....I have plans for a longboard and it's gunna have some volume, if I am gunna ride a boat, then its gunna get me a real lot of waves..thinking 9'0" x 22" x 3", alot for a 77 kg guy but if its for a soft point, might as well go the whole hog...hey, just came up with its nickname too... :roll:

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:32 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:
Chillin wrote:I'v gotta say Iv have a gripe with this, how many lazy old blokes will say to you "wish I was as fit as you and still riding a shortboard", but they won't make the effort to do so. Old sport injuries notwithstanding, there are plenty of old buggers out there ripping it up because they care more about surfing than they do about drinking, eating junk, smoking, not doing any form of execise etc. Weight is a big factor with many of em and it slows them down to the point where they cannot get to their feet fast enough to ride a short board, but do they make an effort to lose it? Stop whinging and get of yur arse and have a go, you might even surprise yourself. Rant over.
Due to the low volume of typical shortboards, especially through the 90's there's going to be a lot of guys who are going to suffer for it as they age.
The arching of your lower back when paddling, with your neck in a craned position can really lead to problems with your shoulder and neck.
I know I suffer with shoulder pain, especially through winter.
Shorter boards with low volume (for me) that have me arching my back while paddling set it off.
There's been periods where I've had to ride longer boards 7'6" and above to avoid it.
When it's marginal I can ride 5'6"s.
Nothing to do with my fitness.
A lot to do with overuse and too much surfing.
The arch back position is a bit of a killer, I'm pretty round shouldered anyway so its even worce for me. I try to surf boards that suit my lack of paddle power too and find that my current shorty (5'11" merrick gravy) is a great paddler and I don't think I miss many I go for. I think it has to do with the wide nose and flat rocker. I also find that I can surf a wafer thin narrow hi performance board, but only for about three or four waves. After that I just hit the wall and can't paddle anymore!
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:33 pm

Not sure I understand nufflink. :)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:39 pm

has to be the 1/8" increase, seems pretty minute if ya looking for substantial paddle power.... 8)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:41 pm

Yeah I've got a bit of a spur on my spine where the shoulder blade connects probably from too much paddling. Screwed it up in a fall a few years ago plus a bit of a prang in the car a few years before that. Thats how I found out I had it. Okay for a few surfs in a row but a few long ones with a rip can really knock it out. Sometimes not. You just have to balance the how good is it, how many surfs am I planning to have ratio. Actually been pretty good for a while.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:13 pm

pridmore wrote:has to be the 1/8" increase, seems pretty minute if ya looking for substantial paddle power.... 8)
Surely he means thickness, not length. :wink: 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:32 pm

purple pyramids wrote:last time i slapped someone - a brazillian - around for constant snaking, i was told i was setting a bad example for the kids. i suggested that they were the ones setting the bad example letting someone snake every wave and not even saying anything. if the rest of the lineup had told the guy to **** off and not left it to lonesome me, it wouldn't have ended as it did.
Natho wrote:Ive also got pretty fed up to the back eyeballs with the bad manners and lack of general respect in the line up over the past few years. The thing I don't understand is why so many people just cop it and don't say anything. If someone is clearly doing the wrong thing to you or just plain wave hogging then say something to them. That way they will know they are in the wrong (if they don't already), and they will hopefully stop doing it. It will also show them that you understand the rules and manners of the line up and you are not going to just cop it. If you do end up dropping in on em then they will know why and they can't say you didn't politely warn them first. Don't let people push you around or they will keep doing it. simple. Stand up for yourself because its dog eat dog out there.
PP dont waste your breath mate it wouldnt sink in, I have removed my prior rant it was over the top.
Last edited by Davros on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:13 am

buzzy wrote:45 yoa and a number of torn rotator cuff injuries mean my paddling power isn't what it once was, no matter how much time I spend in the water. Consequently I always carry a tad more volume in my board than is the typical recommendation for my weight (usually an extra eighth of an inch).
thickness, check

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:47 am

Doh. thickness. But that extra eighth of an inch makes a big difference for me.

Incidentally, I went and felt up some mainstream boards recently and the way one shaper foils, say, a 2 5/8" thick board can be enormously different. The merricks etc are sure packing a lot more foam into their boards than they did 5 years ago.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:30 pm

49 yo. Not as fit as I once was although pretty good shape for age. Heaps of injuries catching up. Slight increase in volume of recent boards, but NEVER will I ride a log, goat boat, booger or SUP. May as well play golf. Then again, my shoulder's stuffed so maybe indoor carpet bowls. Drop in on the ignorant selfish pricks regardless of what they ride.
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:49 pm

Keep the focus on equipment narrowly focused as a good match for your mind....synergy!
Only a rat can win the rat race.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:31 pm

Fair enough CF. Probably should have reserved such a comment to Shoartboarders forum. Just stating that it just doesn't do it for ME. I'm ok in that it does for others.
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:49 pm

Q -what kinda tool would drop in on a 12 year old....3 times.....and in a designated competitio area....when the whole beach of about 3 k's has waves and all good banks..?????

A - THIS WAN.KER, thats who.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

I dont hate people for riding any particular type of craft at all but this type of stuff is only making the anst between short and longboarders worse....

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Prick! Did you paddle out and "intervene" ??

I have seen someone drop in twice on his OWN 13yo DAUGHTER!!, dickhead!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:23 pm

I hope at least you were waiting for him when he paddled in, mate.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:24 pm

You got a higher res pic Mark i'll try name and shame!