Chchcchch changes

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Chillin
charger

Chchcchch changes

Post by Chillin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:34 pm

I'm lucky enough to live in surf comp central, current location of the two week "Australian surf festival". At the mo we're hosting the Mals. There was a bit of discussion a while back on this, but I got to tyell you guys the day of the drop knee turn and the 50m nose ride are loooong gorn. Mal riders are top to bottoming everything like a bunch of rabid short board wannabees. Sure there is the odd 'cheater five' but forget the old school noseride and smooth style of the past and welcome the short longboarder to the fold.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Chchcchch changes

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:43 pm

I'll be singing David Bowie now, long into the night.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:46 pm

Sorry

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:02 pm

dont apologise, old school Bowie is good.... I know what ya mean bout longboarding but I make hi-perf longboards, even made one for Mitch who came 4th in the opens, he is a good surfer and very progressive for a mal rider, but also rips on shorter craft , but kinda cant blame the surfers coz they wanna do well and gets scores...still looks nice to see someone nose ride and just surf a mal with style and flow.....but I guess thats comps in general, if ya gunna compete, style and traditional type surfing goes out the window, its all about points....if ya not chasing points, why compete I guess... its the choice of the surfer, if you want to ride a wave in a way thats not gunna get judged with good scores, why bother, wheres the freedom of creativity when you have to conform to their judging criteria.... some just wanna enjoy surfing however they choose, comps are such a contradiction for what surfing is all about sometimes...I go in a few comps and often ask myself why
do I bother but then sometimes you get those comps where you score good waves and enjoy the competitive situation....but when ya sit there in a final in 5-6ft total close-outs and get 1 wave and get beaten by knobs, then ya really wonder WTF ya doin.....rambled on a bit...now take it away David...chhh chhh chhh...... :roll:

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:56 am

Chillin wrote:I'm lucky enough to live in surf comp central, current location of the two week "Australian surf festival". At the mo we're hosting the Mals. There was a bit of discussion a while back on this, but I got to tyell you guys the day of the drop knee turn and the 50m nose ride are loooong gorn. Mal riders are top to bottoming everything like a bunch of rabid short board wannabees. Sure there is the odd 'cheater five' but forget the old school noseride and smooth style of the past and welcome the short longboarder to the fold.
The only way to ride one

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:00 am

unless you are trying to impress judges and do well in a competition....

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:49 am

pridmore wrote:unless you are trying to impress judges and do well in a competition....
Ha yeah true - i'll quote some of your post in response to that
comps are such a contradiction for what surfing is all about sometimes
And in longboarding i would replace sometimes with all the time!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:56 am

guess that why they have divisions specifically catering for nose riding, plus there's old mal comps..
like in shortboard comps, you see the retro events and even a few other 'novelty or craft specific, or even manouvre specific events' nowadays, go in the ones ya want , if ya want to I guess..... :roll:
I guess I am saying I guess too much.... :roll:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:07 pm

Remember one of the rare mal comps I participated in quite a few years ago now. The winner ended up being a shortboarder who borrowed someones McTavish and surfed it like a short board from the tail. Nothing radical just a fairly smooth style. Didn't even go near the nose and I doubt he could have pulled off a nose ride if he wanted to. Didn't effect my usual miserable contest performance but kind of cheapened the event I thought.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:04 pm

I wonder if we can get someone to fill us in on the current judging criteria?

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:16 pm

slowy
regular

Post by slowy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:03 am

From a 38 y/o perspertive. You are missing the point of comps, it's all about the friendships and a damm good excuse to drink beer from 9 in the morning!!

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Its the aussie titles mate, most of em are pretty serious. 9 am? you're a late starter, the old mal boys are into it when they are setting up the barbie at 7am. I'd rather go surfing myself.