Whose Life is it anyway

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Whose Life is it anyway

Post by Beanpole » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Anyhow, Malcolm can thank Nick for drumming up a fair bit of extra publicity for his new book. He might get run out of Coolangatta though after being tarred and feathered and a public book burning.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:15 pm

OK, here's another scenario of a blatant rip-off:

What if you are trading under a Registered Business Name, advertise under that business name and have a ".com" website with the business name preceding it. What sort of ethics are attached to it when someone registers the ".com.au" website, uses your images on their website and trades under a similar name?

Too many fleas in society these days.

localbogan
regular

Post by localbogan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:45 pm

Nick, I understand that Sean does not have any rights to MP'S life story.
Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems as if the point of your AFR article was not so much that Malcolm Knox had written a story about MP, moreover that he had used Sean's account of MP's life story as a basis for his own book

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:05 pm

^^And as Sean said to me a number of times, and indeed he is quoted in the article as saying: "It's not my story."

Sean considered himself, as a biographer, to have largely been a conduit for MP and his family to tell their story; he does not consider himself to have any ownership of that story.

You may notice how that leads to one of the subtle underplays involved here: that while Malcolm had given Sean a manuscript of "The Life", and Sean (seeing the numerous parallels) had felt most awkward upon reading it, Sean didn't feel that he could really let Malcolm KNOW of his awkwardness, since he didn't feel an ownership of it.

Is that clear?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Shame.

Might have made for a good old fashioned literary beat down at the Byron Writers Festival.

I briefly entertained plans to go and heckle Knoxy pretending to be Doherty.

"Hey Knoxy you fcuking mini-mal riding kook.......go find your own story".

And just for the record, if it ever did get all Hemingway and serious I'd back Doherty, especially with Tommy Peterson in his corner with a broken beer glass.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:16 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:You may notice how that leads to one of the subtle underplays involved here: that while Malcolm had given Sean a manuscript of "The Life", and Sean (seeing the numerous parallels) had felt most awkward upon reading it, Sean didn't feel that he could really let Malcolm KNOW of his awkwardness, since he didn't feel an ownership of it.
Don't know sean from a bar of soap (yep, understand he has had tracks and other surf mag career as well as the bio),

But that is really an admirable stance from Sean in my book.

Very Zen.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:47 pm

Oh God the writers have got all antsy!
Shearer I'm watching from afar (the deck at Pasta Point in the Maldives), I reckon the thing about someone taking MP's story that riles up old surfers is the fact that it's best delivered in short bursts in darkened corners of pubs late at night via people who were there at the time, it's a treat an elder hands down like a little gem of wisdom. An hour with TP out strips any book about his bro (despite a fair bit of added fiction on TP's part) surfing is growing up guys and as it does it reaches out to more and more people, weird shit is gonna happen sacred rites are going to be violated by newcomers, respect is gonna fade and as the oncoming tide of freshwater washes away surfings salt there is not much anyone can do to change it.
Surf Journo's have a new force at their fingertips via the net but just like a kook who is handed a hi-performance board it does not suddenly make them experts or improve the quality of the work out there. Journalism and advertising are meant to be in bed together it's the management of that relationship that holds the key. There are options out there.
PS For the record Seano did a fuckin amazing job with MP's book and the fact a Ho-dad ripped it off is a fitting tribute, MP would be laughing at the lot of em … he knows the real stories.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Typical Peel.

Running away from solid swell in Indo to go hide at some Old man wave in the Maldives.

Once a tube dodger./.......
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:56 pm

steve shearer wrote:Typical Peel.

Running away from solid swell in Indo to go hide at some Old man wave in the Maldives.
Not that there's anything wrong with that!
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:52 pm

I believe he's doing a sequel about Peter Drouyn :D
Dear Diary, "Had some epic waves at Sunset, I think a one on one fight to the death surf contest would be good,.... I wonder what I would look like in a hula skirt?"
I love how everyone can still circle the wagons around an old comrade. Really what Knox's book is about. I think he nails an element of surf culture pretty well.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

localbogan
regular

Post by localbogan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:20 pm

Funny how Sean Doherty feels distinctly uncomfortable about Knox's book, yet chose to ignore my enquiries about how Pritamo Ahrendt possibly stole my idea.
I would have thought a guy who essentially had his own work plagiarised would have been more sympathetic

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:38 pm

localbogan wrote:Funny how Sean Doherty feels distinctly uncomfortable about Knox's book, yet chose to ignore my enquiries about how Pritamo Ahrendt possibly stole my idea.
I would have thought a guy who essentially had his own work plagiarised would have been more sympathetic

Can't you go and blow that smoke up someone else's arse ... your beef should be with the ASP ... and/or Pritamo Ahrendt ... your perceived plagiarist ... not the journalist who reported the story on the changes ... yet you seem to be taking a deliberate aim at the messenger ... thats distinctly uncomfortable ... chine.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Womble wrote:
localbogan wrote:Funny how Sean Doherty feels distinctly uncomfortable about Knox's book, yet chose to ignore my enquiries about how Pritamo Ahrendt possibly stole my idea.

Can't you go and blow that smoke up someone else's arse ... your beef should be with the ASP ... and/or Pritamo Ahrendt ... your perceived plagiarist ... not the journalist who reported the story on the changes ... yet you seem to be taking a deliberate aim at the messenger ... thats distinctly uncomfortable ... chine.
Hi womble, regarding the above, I do think LB draws a line clearly to Sean in his original post where he points out no response from Sean.
localbogan wrote:The idea accredited to Pritamo has conceptual similarities to my idea and he appears to paraphrase parts of my original submission in his response to Sean's questions.
I contact Sean and point these similarities out to him...and get no response.
His editor at SW, Vaughan Blakey, confirms in writing that Sean has received my emails.
So despite some reasonable evidence that Pritamo may have borrowed very heavily from my original concept, Sean chooses to totally ignore it and not even put a single word as a reply.
That part at least, bears some explanation. I should point out I'm not taking sides here just that an accusation has been made in some detail, but with no repsonse.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:31 pm

steve shearer wrote:Typical Peel.

Once a tube dodger./.......
Yeah well see how ya go in Tahiti mate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Uh-oh. The tube dodger just returned Shearers venomous volley with interest.

With interest!!

How yer going Peely? Good to see you still plying your craft.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

localbogan
regular

Post by localbogan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:55 am

Wobble, in some ways you are right. I do not have any real issue with Sean other than he did not respond to my emails.
It does puzzle me though that given the information I supplied him (all of which could be verified) which suggested that his interview subject had possibly not told the entire truth during the interview he would choose to ignore it.
I would have thought that a decent journalist may have at least followed this up a little bit.
The only reason I posted here was because I saw the irony in Nick's article about how Sean himself had possibly been plagarised

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:22 am

oldman wrote:But that is really an admirable stance from Sean in my book.

So you've got one too? Now I'm confused. :?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:43 am

Localbogan, I think you need to give some serious consideration to the fact that the reason you didn't get a reply is not because the ASP was trying to steal your concept, but because you're just a tedious and annoying person to deal with.