Board washers

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

BA
Duke Status

Board washers

Post by BA » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:08 pm

So, are ya one?

See plenty of blokes carefully wash their board under the beach showers after a surf.

Never done it. Don't see the point. What's gonna happen?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Re: Board washers

Post by oldman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:18 pm

Just to wash the sand off it, if it has sand on it.

But I don't towel dry it!

Ask Rockin' Ron about whether towel drying your board after a surf is efficacious.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:38 pm

I'm one. Here's my reasoning;

1. I'm under the shower rinsing salt water off me anyway, so there's no big downside to taking an extra 10 seconds or so to rinse salt water off the board as well, and
2. Salt is a pretty notorious degrading agent. I have no idea whether it degrades fibreglass as well but I'm acting on the theory it might, so I'm rinsing it off.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:43 pm

I rinse mine off too.
But only so I don't get salt in the board bag (fabric). It (the board bag) can go longer without a wash then.

If it's going nude on the roof it don't get rinsed.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

sandfly
Grommet

Post by sandfly » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:56 pm

I'm one too.

My reasonong is to mainly wash the leash and tail pad to keep the salt and sand from degrading them.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:18 pm

woolly wrote:I only wash mine when there's blood or flesh on the nose, or fins.

... and it's usually mine ... :oops:
That's fair.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:03 pm

yeah, it's been a few years since the poo pipes were sent out to sea. probably not that much need for a rinse anymore.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:03 pm

Salt is corrosive, and I don't want anything corrosive near my magic board :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Washing ones board seems like the smart thing to me if you don't want salt water on/ in your car or boardbag.

Though just in recent observation into surfer behaviour I have noticed many who are too cool to give their board a quick wash also;
like surfing without a leggie and then end up swimming to shore every second wave
like ony waxing a small patch where the front foot goes and nothing else coz it looks cool
like using terms such as froth, sick, bra and yeeew
often have a big sticker on the back of the car advertising one of the big surf corps

Now Im not saying that's you BA, but so far these are my findings in researching this topic.

AC

Post by AC » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:17 pm

I posted my similar observations on board washing some years ago, and got all sort of nonsense replies about boards falling apart etc. In my experience, boards fall apart when they get dinged - usually in the carpark or garage - and fill up with water. Look after your board by getting dings repaired properly (and not by storing it locked inside a car parked in the sun out the front of your house, or leaning up against the side wall outside).

My boards get the odd wash, but only when they're under my arm in the shower - a flick of a beach towel is much more effective to remove sand. Water and sand in the board bag aren't a real concern either - unless you store them inside and they'll wet the carpet and annoy the missus.

I still notice this strange practice - even stranger when the washer only washes the board but leaves themselves sandy and or salty (they must eventually fall foul of the corrosive nature of sea salt). Washing your board to keep the salt/sand off/out of your car is a fair call, washing it so it doesn't fall apart should be restricted to those who wear those rubber 'power band' bracelet things...

Now, anyone yet to find out for me why some folks persist in tying their boards on fins down?

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:24 pm

I wash mine because I hate seeing that salt crust all over it the next time I get it out of the bag. Also to wash salt out of the FCS plugs and check the fins aren't wobbly before nipping up the grub screws if necessary.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:30 pm

I'm a board washer and dryer. I don't want corrosive salt stuffing up my board bag zips and I don't want a wet board inside a boardbag causing mildew. So there...

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:56 am

Looks like there's enough of us here to form a Board Washers Anonymous. :wink:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:01 am

Fair dinkum can you blokes make sure you stir a few teaspoons of quick dry into your double decaf chai soy lattes today.

Fark me! Your precious boards and board bags!
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:42 am

Not too many showers near me so generally not a washer. I am when there is and pretty much just do fin plugs and leggy swivels/straps. have always bought a new leggy for every new board. Nothing worse than when ya leggy breaks and you're swimming for your loved stick but it beats you to the rocks. don't give a stuff about the car - maybe because it's a car and I don't drink double decaf chai soy lattes either
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:12 am

:shock:

This is just embarrassing...

Don't want no nasty salt on your board, horrible things might happen :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdjD0GkHEMQ

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:09 pm

I wash 'em if there's a shower handy.....if not no drama.

It helps your boards last longer.

Fact.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:18 pm

steve shearer wrote: It helps your boards last longer.

Fact.
Yeah, and so does having a stronger glass job, epoxy, board bag... Actually not riding your board at all also helps, maybe we could get a trend going?