boards, how many and what you got....?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

boards, how many and what you got....?

Post by pridmore » Thu May 26, 2011 7:13 am

Saw this by Donovan and related to it, thought it'd be an interesting thread . Always very interesting to see what boards different surfers have. Old boards can have such a history, most of it we will never know, just adds to the mystique for me. Currently I have about 20 or so but have recently sold off a few, I always say I am not buying anymore but seem to acquire them from somewhere, somehow...interested to hear what you have and any stories bout surfboards...and pics are always nice too.. 8)

"I'm not a surfboard collector. All the boards I have, I ride. There's dirty wax on all of them. I ding 'em up, have all my friends ride them. I've never priced out any of the boards, either. I love to look at boards and wonder what they ride like. I don't know, I guess I'm just addicted to the ride."

"I am not a surfboard collector"- Donavon Frankenreiter

pridmore
Owl status

Re: boards, how many and what you got....?

Post by pridmore » Thu May 26, 2011 12:06 pm

I am not a collector of boards really, I just love em and seem to get a few random ones here and there and some I sell on, and others I just cant part with....

the above board was once upon a time a 7'0 single fin Darby, I got it from a guy I used to work with who live around Evans Head, he didnt want it but his son wanted a shortboard to learn on, we did a deal and I scored the old single fin for about $20- so I surfed it once but had the bug to shape something so off came the glass, my son and I reshaped it into the fish, its 5'0" x 18 1/4" x 2 3/4", my son did alot of the shaping, was his first shaping of any kind, he was 6 or 7, he also painted it by himself, idea came from a board on a playstation surfing game he has...we then sold it coz he wanted money for a new board, we got $350 for it, so it went off to some young kid who leant to surf on it, then we spotted it one day at Convents beach in Yamba, stated talking to the kids Dad who said he wanted to sell it, and we were keen to get it back, $100 later and its back in our shed, My sons been surfing it alot lately and really lovin it...then he said to me the other day, "reckon we could cut this down to a mini-simmons "? it may not have finished just yet......

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu May 26, 2011 2:55 pm

good thread MP ... in short I have too many boards but do try to ride them as much as I can.. anything that is hand made and a custom for me AND isn't a dog stays... no matter what... I want a few memories for when I get older ... all of my JD's and Stretch boards fit that bill. I have one Stretch board that I got the deepest an longest barrel of my life on and it's getting a bit small for me now but will NEVER be sold and I am very careful not to break it .

Call me superstitious or new age but my best experiences in the surf have been on boards that were custom made for me .. I have a few Firewires but for some reason they haven't provided those special moments for me that other cutoms have... coincidence? maybe but that perception is based in 20 years of surfing.. there is something about a handmade board .. they have soul in my view !

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu May 26, 2011 6:02 pm

Geez :roll:
60s pig board that I used to ride but is pretty stuffed now. I ripped the fin out to reset it and never put it back. Its pretty funky looking as its faded blue and peeling back to the original red underneath which is also fading. I started riding it seventeen years ago when my daughter was born and I stuck little baby logos all over the bottom that I pealed off some baby type stuff we used to give her. So I'll keep that one. Probably a wall mount job rather than a surfing model these days if anything.
9'1" mal which is great but needs a little sprucing up.

8' MacT thats stuffed and fills with water but used to go real good and encouraged me to get the softtop.
8' softtop I think I'll ditch as I've only ridden it twice since I bought it last year.
7'11" carver that I bought after working out the mact plan shape actually surfed pretty good in the flags when it was big.
7'6" local knowledge gunny type board that I got the last big stand up tube on quite a few years ago now.
70s 6'10" pintail
6'4" early thruster that looks like it could be a conversion
70s 5'6" channel bottom G&S mega squaretail
5'6"slab kneeboard that I was given by my father in law
2 Wods- a wooden pod style hand plane that a friend of my father in law made for us
A couple of body boards and my sons assorted boards and foamies.

Sold a nice 7' custom board last year and I'm looking for a replacement.
Good if I had a garage :roll: :roll:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Fri May 27, 2011 12:55 pm

5'6" mcgrigor diamond tail flyer single fin slab, 1978. too small for me.
5'6" mcgrigor swallow tail scoop deck with a glassed-in fin, 73. a very narrow barrel rocket.
5'9" MORE, diamond tail quad. it flies.
Last edited by purple pyramids on Fri May 27, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Fri May 27, 2011 1:30 pm

9'2" no name longboard
6'10" Miller V-Skate
6'9" Miller Waterskate
6'8" Firewire Alternator
6'7" small wave Miller V-Skate
6'6" McCoy nugget

I don't ride the Waterskate or Nugget much anymore so will probably sell them for one more board I'd use more regularly.

I also REALLY want a mid length takayama or kookbox - they look fantastic and I want a mid length.

I reckon 5 or 6 boards is the most I can ride with any regularity.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Fri May 27, 2011 2:25 pm

10ft something Scott Dillon mal circa 1965 - weighs about 25 kgs
9'2" Single fin mal for when it's real small
7'6" Palownia Alaia - self shaped square tail - fcuking hard to ride
7'2" Palownia Alaia - self shaped square tail - even fcuking harder to ride
7'2" semi pin tail epoxy Minami for when its big(ish)
6'8" Dahlberg squash tail thruster - late 90's, gathering dust
6'6" Rounded pin Tony Cerf 90s thruster - gathering dust
6'6" Burton quad - Troy Brooks model
6'4" Morning of the Earth channel bottom single fin
6'4" Rusty squash tail - all rounder
6'3" Webber Fat burner swallow tail
6'0" Jim Banks MKIII fish

Plus all the soft boards, boogs, blow up turtles, mats and even a mini mal, purchased in the attempt to try and get the daughters interested in surfing, all to no avail.

yet to ride the channel bottom single fin, had it for a while but waiting for that perfect day.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri May 27, 2011 3:29 pm

Ive just culled the quiver right down. I reckon too many boards just gets confusing for me. That said I reckon Ive still got too many and Im thinking of culling it down a bit more. Here's what im left with:

6'4 x 18 1/4 x 2 1/4 Haydenshapes Golden Gun (rounded pin). Only ridden a few times for bigger stuff.
6'2 x 18 1/4 x 2 1/4 Haydenshapeds Black Cat (rounded Pin). Step up board.

6'0 x 18 1/4 x 2 3/16 Simon Anderson XFC (rounded pin). Awesome in good waves.

6'0 x 18 1/4 2 3/16 Simon Anderson XFC (rounded square). Twin of above board.

6'0 ish Grant Miller Single Fin. My first ever board shaped by Grant around 1980/81. Showed it to him and he reckons its one of the first boards he ever shaped under his own label when he left HB. Its a classic Terry Fitz stepped in swallow shape just like they were doing at HB. Its been restored to all its glory. Only rode it a few times just for old times sake.

5'11 x 18 3/8 x 2 1/4 NicK Blair (rounded Square). The board I ride the most at moment. Unreal.

5'10 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/4 Haydenshapes Joistik Quad (Diamond Tail).

5'8 x 19 x 2 1/4 Simon Anderson MPS (square tail)

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri May 27, 2011 4:24 pm

Two :oops:

7' Grant Miller V-Skate
8'6" Single Fin shaped by Grant Miller

Wouldn't mind something shorter and fatter like a 6'5" quad for low tides at Gunnamatta and Rye when it gets a bit punchy and bowly though. But now with another mouth to feed it may take a while
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri May 27, 2011 4:38 pm

I've only got three, all longboards.
The oldest is a 9'0" John Broadhurst design (green)built for me in about 1992. John hails from West Burleigh (or used to).
My board of choice is a 9'3" John Sojoski "Wave Signature" mal (yellow) built in 2003. Sojo comes from Copacobana on the Central Coast.
And the 8'8" More "swinger-with-length" (clear/white?) which I grabbed off Mark when he was feeling generous. It's great in beachies and hollow stuff. Rides a lot like a short board according to those who ride both. It's my lazy way of getting around the fact that I hate paddling shorties.

I don't get rid of my old boards as they're probably not worth a whole lot owing to the fact that a I keep them so long before replacing them.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

scod
regular
Location: Riding along the border, with a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers in my hand

Post by scod » Fri May 27, 2011 4:44 pm

5'10" pod
6'6" V skate
6'4" G shapes swallow tail
6'6" Mick Button pin tail

I only ridden the pod in the last 8 months, I have no use for the pintail or the v skate anymore, the 6'4" is the only one I look at any more and wanna ride it.

pen15

Post by pen15 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:56 pm

6'6" Mark Rabidge swallow tail Thruster a bit fat but no fis, had for 2 years
6" Weapon double shot Quad had it 6 months
I really like them both and will take em both to Fiji in July, anyone heading over then?
Im going to Plantation :) \
Tony

pen15

Post by pen15 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:58 pm

oh I forgot the 9' mal that i use at Towoon bay ocasionally, ebay from Shane Smith new for $500

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Fri May 27, 2011 7:18 pm

9'2 Jackson Mal - One of my dad's old boards that he 'retired' to me.
6'4 Beaten up DHD Single Fin
6'0 Bear Fat arsed Wombat Single Fin
5'11 Firewire El Fuego
5'9 Mick Mackie Fish

Fun Fun Fun.
Last edited by Topher on Tue May 31, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sickpig

Post by sickpig » Fri May 27, 2011 8:37 pm

9'0 x22" HIC longboard - love this one - feels great under the feet on bigger days - bought off a divorcee selling her mans gear - good deal (for me)
7'8" Northshore Mini Mal - bought from a guy who thought he'd be cool being a surfer - realised it was harder than it looked - helped him out - good deal (for me)
6'8" x 181/4" EEV Maurice Cole - this is my magic board - goes well from 1ft upwards - great point break board and travelled through Europe tackling my biggest rides on this in the mid '90s
6'5" x 191/2" Sick Pig Thruster - first new board - bought in 1990
6'4" x 23" Mellow Wave twin fish - great in mush - have not had a good clean day on it yet.
6'1" Ocean Magic thruster - large centre fin with small side fins - bought in 1987

seems far too many, mostly sentimental, how do you choose 1 board to ride each time - always imagine lining my boards up on the beach and running in and out swapping boards on a wim - hasn't happened yet. :D

axolotl redux

Post by axolotl redux » Fri May 27, 2011 10:52 pm

6'0" stringerless vanda rocket
6'0" ci biscuit ,too big i dont ride
6'0" stacey twist
6'3" stacey s3
6'3" hs joistick quad, i dont ride
6'3" michael anthony swallow tail
6'4" webber slx squash tail
6'6 'dhd fanning round tail ,i dont ride
6'6" skye bourton round tail
6'9" chilli rounded pin

i mostly ride the stacey's but mix it up with some of the others.
i think it might be time to cull a few

Hey blackduck how does the bourton brooko go ? i haven't had much success with quads but i like the look of those.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sat May 28, 2011 1:35 pm

A few of the newer ones in the quiver

http://olosurfer-woodensurfboardsatpipe ... gspot.com/

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sat May 28, 2011 1:45 pm

I only use 2 both are 42". But i have a hoarded a large number of them.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.