Mats

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Mats

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:10 am

What I've been loving about my mat recently is that it doesn't take much of a wave at all to get a fast trim and have some fun.

I took it out in some waves you would normally wait at least 20 minutes for a decent enough shoulder on a shortboard and every 30 seconds I was getting a little runner on the mat and having a great time.

Crowded surf? Doesn't matter because you can catch the small inside runners and still tear along having a great time.

Too much fun!
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Matticus I couldn't resist this the cap fits and it will wear it , it just needs to be worked a little stops the sand getting into that valve. THe little stub on the end does do the deflation but the valve is slow unless you put pressure on the flow by rolling up the mat as you go I sort of compress the deflating mat between my chest and knees. Looking like I'm suffering from going head first into concrete ( you have stopped doing that to yourself?). I swim out with the bugger deflated, oh don't let go of it in a strong offshore wind :lol:

Remember to you are the lowest of the food chain now and one prick can ruin your day :-o
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:12 am

otway1949 wrote:Remember to you are the lowest of the food chain now and one prick can ruin your day

I sometimes ride my mat out at the superbank on good size days when the wind is onshore, don't have many dramas with drop-ins. Most people just look on like stunned mullets, as I'm bouncing and flying down the face. If they do drop-in I don't really care that much, I'm happy to share, plus when it's a fatter day everyone just gives up while the mat makes it through the fat sections easily.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:35 am

For me, mats are in a category of their own. I afford them much more respect than I do lids. Got me fcuked why. It just is

Hello, marcus
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

longyfreshy
Grommet

Post by longyfreshy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:45 am

I have to jump onto this topic.
Brings back happy memories of my girlfriends and myself riding surf mats in the early 70's. We had red and blue ones with blue flippers. It was hard back in those days as chics :) were not welcome in the surf let alone on a surfboard/surf mat or anything. We surfed at Northy (North Narrabeen) of all places. We were told a lot "what are you chics doing out here" we didn't care and proved ourselves getting out there in big and freezing surf.

I haven't seen the modern ones but it was such a great and happy time in my life! :)

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:50 am

thanks to the continuing body of work of Greenough an his acolytes Mats would be at the top of the food chain around here.

no-one is dropping in on Carcass at the point.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:55 am

longyfreshy wrote:Brings back happy memories of my girlfriends and myself riding surf mats in the early 70's
That's maybe why I don't mind them. Memories of the few chicks that were doing it way back then. Down here, they also got a bit of a hard time, but not from me

I also have no objections to bellybords/paipos
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:54 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:I'll check out the links from this thread for tips but was wondering if anyone waxes the deck or is this likely to cause problems?
I haven't tried waxing the deck but you'll find if your body is relaxed enough and you don't ride too far forward when the white-wash hits you, you won't have many problems with slipping off. It will happen occasionally once you get the hang of it, but you can just grab a big fist-full of material so you don't lose it.

Its a little overwhealming at first but you'll get the hang of it after a little practice. Once you get a few basics down like duckdiving, positioning of your body on the mat, ideal inflation level, and keeping your body as soft and relaxed as possible, then you'll get a groove on.

All I can say is, don't fight the mat! Make love to it like a yoga master would!
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:52 pm

This looks really fun, but is it really worth spending $200 on what is basically half a camping air bed? Are there any decent cheaper mats?

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:56 am

Thanks MFinch, appreciate the offer and the feedback.

I'll be out of the water for a few more weeks and then probably have to have a spell off hard boards so I'm looking for as many things as possible to keep me in the water.
I'm also super broke (can't work either) at the moment so I won't be buying a krypt etc at in the near future.

I did make few hand planes recently, might stick to those.