Mats

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

MarcusMD

Re: Mats

Post by MarcusMD » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:16 pm

Get a mat!!! :D

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:19 pm

Marc, I'll start down that end too and drift North, Manlys great for peaks and tubes.

Animal_Chin,
A local boatbuilder sells the PVC glue for building mats at $100/l but the supplier in Sydney is...
PCA Barnham
17 Campbell Street, Artarmon
ph. 9436 0259
Yo can get 1 litre for $20 or 4 litres for $40

Pick up some PVC ripstop fabric from Clark Rubber for 17.95 a metre.

So Animal, if youre looking for a way to contribute you can get all the materials and make a mat for Summer for about $40, just add creativity and a bit of eye/ hand coordination.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:55 pm

Animal_Chin wrote:Reading this thread is like listening to the girls in the office talk about stocking denier.
I'm sort of interested but have no idea how to contribute.
:lol: know what you mean!
I'm pretty keen to get one for summer, actually. That way if I'm headed to the beach with the family I can surf the tiny waves they prefer.

UK Mat Surfers

Post by UK Mat Surfers » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Great stuff. Stoked to hear this works. Have you tried it with no puffs?

I'd be interested to see some of the material to see if it's weldable.

G

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Thats Boyd Kellner with GG in that shot.

Boyd is a regular contributor to the local paper where he winds up in classic neo-marxist style against global capitalism.
Cool dude who rips on a mat.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

UK Mat Surfers

Post by UK Mat Surfers » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:20 am

steve shearer wrote:Thats Boyd Kellner with GG in that shot.

Boyd is a regular contributor to the local paper where he winds up in classic neo-marxist style against global capitalism.
Cool dude who rips on a mat.
Aye, I've been put right on that. Wardie took the photo.

G

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:48 am

Just so I've got this right....

- bodyboarders are kooks. They lie down when should be standing up, and constantly bang on about how fast they go and the little barrels they got etc etc. But(!);
- mats are soooo cool, cause you get to lie down, go fast, and get little barrels...

MarcusMD

Post by MarcusMD » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:53 am

damo666 wrote:Just so I've got this right....

- bodyboarders are kooks. They lie down when should be standing up, and constantly bang on about how fast they go and the little barrels they got etc etc. But(!);
- mats are soooo cool, cause you get to lie down, go fast, and get little barrels...
Exactly - at last someone had finally described the correct viewpoint - the biggest compromise is being a surf-schitzo and riding more than one type of craft! :wink:

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:42 pm

SURFFOILS wrote:Marc, I'll start down that end too and drift North, Manlys great for peaks and tubes.

Animal_Chin,
A local boatbuilder sells the PVC glue for building mats at $100/l but the supplier in Sydney is...
PCA Barnham
17 Campbell Street, Artarmon
ph. 9436 0259
Yo can get 1 litre for $20 or 4 litres for $40

Pick up some PVC ripstop fabric from Clark Rubber for 17.95 a metre.

So Animal, if youre looking for a way to contribute you can get all the materials and make a mat for Summer for about $40, just add creativity and a bit of eye/ hand coordination.
I'm calling bullshite on that.

How do I get the air in? I reckon a valve will cost me at least $0.75 thereby totally blowing out your cost estimate and putting a mat well out of my price range.

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:42 pm

I think some of the differences between boogs and mats, apart from the craft itself..
Is that Mats have no media profile, theyre cool because theyre not cool. Theyre so far off the commercial radar.

When youre talking surf and you say you ride a mat, most people say... "Bath, door, dog or car ?

Mats still have that distinction of being counter culture in a culture overflowing with flouro banners and live netcasts.

Mat riding is a level playing field,(ha) theres no comps, no world tour, no world champion with his head in every shop window, but
if there was a world champ, it'd be either me or this guy...

I am number ONE !!!
Hes the Worlds first self proclaimed Mat Champ. now and forever.

Delivering his first acceptance speech at the LGM black tie event. ( League of Global Matters.)

hey chin, Clue up man !! You can get free samples by going to Alibaba.com and you spin a line to the Chinese manufacturers and they'll send you free samples. I thought everyone knew about that scam ??

UK Mat Surfers

Post by UK Mat Surfers » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:42 pm

:lol:
Last edited by UK Mat Surfers on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UK Mat Surfers

Post by UK Mat Surfers » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:45 pm

damo666 wrote:Just so I've got this right....

Bodyboards have more in common with surfboards than mats.

Personally, I think as soon as you come up with a should and words like cool in terms of surfing then for me you're missing the point.

More about how it looks than what you get from it perhaps...

Each to their own I guess.

G

MarcusMD

Post by MarcusMD » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:25 am

Guys and girls - we have a serious problem!

If Animal_C is running short of cash and cannot afford the 0.75 for the valve could I suggest we start the Mat Foundation or the League of Mad Matters and have some fundraising to add towards his joining the mob?

I understand that with the strength of the Aussie dollar, the GFC and the US economy some of our international friends may be pre-occupied however I found 5c outside Manly Life Saving Club this morning and am happy to donate!

Of course - we will require you to forward your bank details and password so we can assist you - and hey someone(possibly a long lost relative) with millions in lost African treasure could help tooooooo

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Thats pretty generous of you Marc.
Just goes to show the depth of the Mat-man help-a-bro attitude !
I'll kick in any spare coins I find in the urinal up at The Harbord Diggers tonight.....

Animal, If you live on the Northern Beaches in Sydney and you want to make a mat, I'll provide the material and build it with you if you want ? ..

On a different mat-ter..
My next mat / Inflatable Air-Craft to finish is this one....

This one is a carapace or 'shell' design, its like a Turtle shell with a strong glassed deck but with twin pontoons underneath.

This is a glued join, its so inseperable it feels like a chemical bond.

Vac-bagging the glass and Innega to the inside of the shell.

carbon fibre rails and maybe a wood veneer deck piece..

Hopefully it will be like riding a turtle shell sitting on a bubble of air...

MarcusMD

Post by MarcusMD » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:19 pm

Wicked!

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:46 pm

Just another amazing and / or stupid idea of mine, I never know if Ive got a brain tumor thats instigating crazy thoughts or if my ideas are acutally of some worth..

ah well, at least it keeps me out of the brothels in Brookvale....

MarcusMD

Post by MarcusMD » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:08 pm

Bit upset that we haven't received the bank details and password...but I guess given your love of Brooky it may be a good thing!
MT very happy to be referred to as the guru but I told him everyone was joking!
He is trying to get to 50k on mat - told him my Landcruiser could go faster than his Honda

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:15 am

Looking forward to meeting MT if its possible. Ive done a bit of speed work too, Ive found that the best opportunity is in the tube due to the elongated power source ( on a standard wave you can only go as far as the shoulder but in a tube the shoulder can be 40m away and so theres a 40m racetrack to cover as fast as possible), I used a GPS on my outside bicep, sadly GPS only records the "over the ground" speed and not "thru the water" speed. I lost my GPS unit but theyve inproved in design since then so it might be time to invest in a new one.
I wonder if MT reads Realsurf ?