surfcraft for the loungeroom

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

spotty
Local

try golf

Post by spotty » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:28 pm

Try golf Kimmy. Seriously, any surfer who plays golf will tell you, as bizzare as it sounds the similarities can be uncanny.

filthbarrel
regular

Re: golf

Post by filthbarrel » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:45 pm

Golf is addictive -great flat spell activity. Like surfing -often crowded. Like surfing - you and you yourself do well or do badly or have good days and bad. Just when you think you are timing sweetly - whoops, the wheels fall off -like trying to pull a floater in the shore break - trying to shape a six iron draw round a tree. Many similarities -but golf journalism -the good stuff describing the mental game -is much more rewarding reading -I mean how many good surf novels are there - but go and read A Good Walk Spoiled. Surfing biographies -every single one I have come across -are only slightly better than the drivel the Aussie cricketers pedal to the public -"The night I roomed with Glen McGrath'. Slater's Pipedreams is not too bad and is intellectually rewarding compared to Occy's book -although Rabbit's is the worst, oh where were we . . that's right .. golf. Golf is cool and fun, and once you get to a 15 handicap -try getting that down to 12 . . that's hard . . .

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:11 pm

If it's Balance Boards you're talkin about, they rock!

I worked in a lodge at Falls Creek for a few seasons and we had one there for the white out days... Really good for concentrating on the muscles you use for boarding; surf, skate or snow. Some of the real slackers, who spent way to much time on the bb, were doing kickflips from one roller to the next, crazy shit! Also great for going arse over tit and breaking wrists...

vb
Local

balance boards

Post by vb » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:28 pm

While those commercial balance boards certainly do look spiffy, generally the same sort of equipment can be cobbled together with a bread board and an 10 inch section of 100mm precison log pine. Works fine ...

roscoediboscoe
regular

Flat Spell

Post by roscoediboscoe » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:36 pm

Kimmy

look at moi - look at moi

During the flat spells - you could come 'roun to my place

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Surfchaser
Grommet

Post by Surfchaser » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:51 pm

kimmy -

What's the one thing we always have plenty off....? Wind! Got a kite a year ago, and though it's not surfing, I'm on the water!

- SC

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:06 pm

Hmm, slight price difference between kite and balance board! If anyone wants to sell me a good kite surfer for $80, pm me NOW! :D

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:43 am

hey kimmy
why not take up skin diving, get a mask, flippers and snorkle, and check out whats under all your favourite places to surf.
its weird looking at it from an underwater perspective, and seeing all the caves and sea urchins in the reef.
marcus
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

frosty

Cheap balance board

Post by frosty » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:02 am

Kimmy,

A mate of mine, an avid skater/snowboarder/surfboarder, recently decided to get me onto a balance board. My experience of them so far is great, really helping work the right muscle groups and my stability is definitely increasing. But why buy one? They are quite expensive, and my mate managed to knock one up for around $3.

What you’ll need:
* Skateboard deck (second hand is fine, infact in the stage where most skaters replace them is fine)
* 3 litre bottle of coke/pepsi
* a roll of decent electrical (or masking) tape

Steps:
* Empty the coke/pepsi bottle, refill with water, right to the brim.
* Wrap the bottle in at least one layer of tape, covering completely, especially over the cap area, a couple of layers will make sure the bottle is not going to leak/burst.

Place the bottle on its side on the floor, place your skateboard deck onto the bottle, stand on the deck and balance ;)

That’s what we did anyway, and its very functional

frosty

Post by frosty » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:44 am

Kimmy,

I was just lucky as my mate just bought a new deck, he goes through them every couple of months, most street skaters do I think.

So, you could try skate shops, or ask around, maybe next time your passing some steet skaters ask them if they have a spare deck or when they might next have one .. offer to pay them a few bucks for one :)

Good luck

Surfchaser
Grommet

Post by Surfchaser » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:02 am

kimmy -

No back pain to speak of. Plenty of ego pain from the first few attempts on water, but that's another subject....

I wear a harness so all the wear n' tear on the arm and back I was used to with sailboarding is negligable. Lately, 'cause there's been so little in the way of surf, my back gets it's only soreness when I do get to surf.

Try the guys at Balmoral Boards in Colloroy. They'll set you up with a great little demo. :D

- SC

Christo

Post by Christo » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:26 am

Check this site out .... Vew-Do Australia: www.obi.com.au