Surf Etiquette in the Line-up

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

moondoggie
regular

Re: Surf Etiquette in the Line-up

Post by moondoggie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:24 pm

Gibber your post just sums it up so beautifully. I can remember have to earn my stripes and gradually working my way north around the bend and then up through the different crews, before I was inititiated into the south swell exposed reefs at the north of the crescent of beaches where I grew up. After years of getting experienced and anyone overstepping their mark, along the way, was given a smack in the chops and sent south back down the beach. :)
gibber wrote:yeah trev its fine mate... I am also taking masonry lessons, stone masonry not the secret handshake lodge type.
With my new skill i'll be cutting stone tablets and chiselling into them the rules of'th thy surfer, i will be appearing at a break near you in April 2012 as Moses Gibber withest thou 10 commandments of surfing

If you do make a miraculous comeback can you leave out the bit in the etiquette rules about first to their feet has right of way...it gets used as an excuse to drop in even as most aren't first to their feet.
One thing with those "Nat Young/Coneeley Rules of Surfing Etiquette " as found at Angourie or my local break Manly, Evey novice that dropped in on me over the past summer season and I gave a serve to, telling them to learn their rules answered back " but I was first one to my feet !" They may not know how to surf but they had their loophole nicely prepared - and misguidedly, straight off the sign.
A sign of the times we live in !!
8)
"I JUST SPENT 6 MONTHS BUYING LEAKY BOATS
2O MILLION BUYING BOATS
GLOBAL WARMINGS CRAP
SO BURNING 'EMS JUST ANOTHER 20 MILLION UP IN SMOKE"
Apologies to Tim Finn

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Its all been said before ... respect ... bla bla blowins ... kooks ... heros ... and just like noodles ... the five minute instant local.
A couple of the points in far northern NSW are a classic example of this ... over zealous yokels ... instant locals and terrorist with no idea ... sorry tourist.
There are lots of places on the coast to surf without having to suffer that kind of behaviour ... yes even on the goldie ... the simple rule of thumb is to stay away from the dickhead magnets.
The so called locals that keep fronting up at overcrowded breaks ... day in and day out ... and carrying on like tools ... ignoring the fact that just down the road or up the beach is an uncrowded break to ENJOY ... are worse than the fools they complain about.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:58 pm

Womble wrote:Its all been said before ... respect ... bla bla blowins ... kooks ... heros ... and just like noodles ... the five minute instant local.
A couple of the points in far northern NSW are a classic example of this ... over zealous yokels ... instant locals and terrorist with no idea ... sorry tourist.
There are lots of places on the coast to surf without having to suffer that kind of behaviour ... yes even on the goldie ... the simple rule of thumb is to stay away from the dickhead magnets.
The so called locals that keep fronting up at overcrowded breaks ... day in and day out ... and carrying on like tools ... ignoring the fact that just down the road or up the beach is an uncrowded break to ENJOY ... are worse than the fools they complain about.
Funny you say that Womble..

My cousin lives at Tugun and says that he regularly gets good waves up and down the Goldy without the tool factor and with a few guys out.. I lived there for a year as well about 12 yrs ago and managed to get waves at Snapper and Dbah due to hassling and being fit at the time..

But in my opinion there are great waves on the Goldy and it was about knowing where the banks were good..

If you wanna tick off the Superwank as somewhere you've surfed then go for it but if you know where to go your wave count will go up and your board will come out unscathed..

Just sayin..
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:04 pm

jimmy1501 wrote: My cousin lives at Tugun
I grew up right there on the hill, Jimmy.
Nicely placed (in the 60's) between Snapper and The Alley. (and Kirra 8) ). All pre groynes. :wink:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:14 pm

Womble wrote:The so called locals that keep fronting up at overcrowded breaks ... day in and day out ... and carrying on like tools ... ignoring the fact that just down the road or up the beach is an uncrowded break to ENJOY ... are worse than the fools they complain about.
Yeah, keep it quiet womble.

I rely on these dimbwits paddling out at the crowded break to ensure that I can get a less crowded break down the beach.

First lesson I learnt in surfing was how to enjoy a wipeout, second lesson was that most surfers are sheep.

So who is going to teach the brazzos some manners, or those fwits at coastalwatch who have made a point of advertising a local area that used to be relatively quiet but is now over-run with tourists.

I don't mind coastalwatch saying what the swell is like etc, but saying 'northern corner on a low tide at Maroubra betweeen 2.00 pm and 3.30 pm with the nor easter blowing' is just way too much detail.

And no, that wasn't the example I was thinking of. I won't repeat their error, but FMD, do you have to give them the GPS co-ordinates of the banks to within 3 metres.

I never thought it made that much difference, but it tripled the crowd at a particular area of one of my more local beaches.

Whatever happened to common sense?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:56 pm

oldman wrote:
So who is going to teach the brazzos some manners, or those fwits at coastalwatch who have made a point of advertising a local area that used to be relatively quiet but is now over-run with tourists.

I don't mind coastalwatch saying what the swell is like etc, but saying 'northern corner on a low tide at Maroubra betweeen 2.00 pm and 3.30 pm with the nor easter blowing' is just way too much detail.

And no, that wasn't the example I was thinking of. I won't repeat their error, but FMD, do you have to give them the GPS co-ordinates of the banks to within 3 metres.

I never thought it made that much difference, but it tripled the crowd at a particular area of one of my more local beaches.

Whatever happened to common sense?

Part of the too much information dilemma there Olds.
Though, mind you, many brazzos live between mine and your local, and would be pretty suss to conditions favouring which break.
I don't look at CW, so can't corroborate their miscreant ways.
At least SwNt give vague approximations.

Let's face it.. It's a different surfing world we live in.

Go with the flow, bow out or suffer at it's voracity.

localbogan
regular

Post by localbogan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:44 pm

I'm on your side Oldman, accurately predicting surf conditions 5 days out can't be good for crowds but while CW and SN are making money who is going to stop them?
Hey Jimmy, I used to live in Tugun 12 years ago as well (1998). Maybe we knew each other? The surf out the front of our place was amazingly consistent and hardly crowded at all. Made me realise how many waves you can get up there without surfing a point break at all

Little
regular

Post by Little » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:30 pm

[quote="oldman
I rely on these dimbwits paddling out at the crowded break to ensure that I can get a less crowded break down the beach.

First lesson I learnt in surfing was how to enjoy a wipeout, second lesson was that most surfers are sheep.
[/quote]

I like it when your on a decent peak with maybe a dozen others and someone next peak down gets a good wave. Off they go to that peak, leaving you in relative peace until, of course, you get a decent one yourself. Back they come until someone next peak down....

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:06 pm

I love the very rare occasion when you get a feeling that the spot you're in at one particular point is going to be rewarded and if you wait long enough you get it while everyone else paddles around chasing the optimum take-off point.

Had a similar situation last Wednesday, was in the right spot amongst 5 other guys and got the wave of the morning, just walled and walled for ages when most were dying in the ar.se.

Been reliving that ride for almost a week now :D
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:04 pm

localbogan wrote: Hey Jimmy, I used to live in Tugun 12 years ago as well (1998). Maybe we knew each other? The surf out the front of our place was amazingly consistent and hardly crowded at all. Made me realise how many waves you can get up there without surfing a point break at all
Quite possibly LB.. I loved it up there and would have stayed except for the lack of work in my field and the amount of rednecks who thought Pauline Hanson was great.. :cry:
Hatchnam wrote:
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:

bintang

Post by bintang » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:14 pm

If you want more waves; surf more often.

localbogan
regular

Post by localbogan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:14 pm

I couldn't agree more jimmy but my immediate circle of friends weren't too bad, a few bohemian types of various diverse cultural backgrounds. However I did overhear a few interesting conversations at the local surf club. Beyond that the place was great and I just basically decided to enjoy the good things the place offered and accept the fact it was a cultural void

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:51 pm

localbogan wrote:I couldn't agree more jimmy but my immediate circle of friends weren't too bad, a few bohemian types of various diverse cultural backgrounds. However I did overhear a few interesting conversations at the local surf club. Beyond that the place was great and I just basically decided to enjoy the good things the place offered and accept the fact it was a cultural void
Hearing you there mate.. Cultural void it is.. I was in a local boardriders up there and to be honest hearing the comments of a young certain person who has gone on to considerable success and others was a concern..

Not surprising that he was tagged as a racist recently.. I think you can probably work out who I'm talking about..
Hatchnam wrote:
swvic wrote:

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:11 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:
localbogan wrote:I couldn't agree more jimmy but my immediate circle of friends weren't too bad, a few bohemian types of various diverse cultural backgrounds. However I did overhear a few interesting conversations at the local surf club. Beyond that the place was great and I just basically decided to enjoy the good things the place offered and accept the fact it was a cultural void
Hearing you there mate.. Cultural void it is.. I was in a local boardriders up there and to be honest hearing the comments of a young certain person who has gone on to considerable success and others was a concern..

Not surprising that he was tagged as a racist recently.. I think you can probably work out who I'm talking about..
I can understand your assumptions that the area is a cultural void ... but seriously you can't expect to find the kind of refined culture you are referring to at the local bowlo or boardriders club.
Culture exists in every facet of life ... be it good ... bad ... arty farty ... yobbo or yogurt ... culture is culture.
To say that a place is devoid of culture is a misnomer ... culture is a set of shared values and attitude of the inhabitants of a specific region ... and is directly affected by the capacity of the population to adapt to social change and learning.
Refined or high culture isn't everyones cup of tea ... using the finest of bone china with the pinkie pointing out of course.
Yeah so the place is still a bit of a meat and three veg kinda town ... but thats kind of refreshing in the modern cafe-latte iphone environment that is slowly drowning out what vestiges of real Australian culture are left.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:25 pm

Womble wrote:
jimmy1501 wrote:

I can understand your assumptions that the area is a cultural void ... but seriously you can't expect to find the kind of refined culture you are referring to at the local bowlo or boardriders club.
Culture exists in every facet of life ... be it good ... bad ... arty farty ... yobbo or yogurt ... culture is culture.
To say that a place is devoid of culture is a misnomer ... culture is a set of shared values and attitude of the inhabitants of a specific region ... and is directly affected by the capacity of the population to adapt to social change and learning.
Refined or high culture isn't everyones cup of tea ... using the finest of bone china with the pinkie pointing out of course.
Yeah so the place is still a bit of a meat and three veg kinda town ... but thats kind of refreshing in the modern cafe-latte iphone environment that is slowly drowning out what vestiges of real Australian culture are left.
Womble fair call.. But all I saw up there was a lot of bigotry regarding immigrants.. Whilst they bitched about the japs they were more than happy to eat sushi...
Immigrants have made our culture so much more diverse and I for one embrace and applaud it..
The Japs for example pour so much money into the Goldy that I think it would be retarded to dismiss them... And I have a mate who owns apartments up there and hates the Japs but relies on them to pay his mortgages... :roll: :roll:
Hatchnam wrote:
swvic wrote:

Allan
regular

Post by Allan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:38 pm

Jimmy could you check your private messages?
I sent you 5 and you havn't responded. Maybe I'm not doing it correctly.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:46 pm

Allan wrote:Jimmy could you check your private messages?
I sent you 5 and you havn't responded. Maybe I'm not doing it correctly.
Allan.. I didn't get them but even if I did I wouldn't respond to a Devil Dodger like you..

I know you've had a wife for 34 yrs but have you ever taken her to Browntown?
Hatchnam wrote:
swvic wrote:

Allan
regular

Post by Allan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:55 pm

Devil Dodger? Where in heaven's name would you come up with that? I thought you were a nice chap Jimmy, maybe I was wrong.
I don't know what you mean by Brown Town. Is it near Coff's Harbour? I know the area quite well and I've never heard of it.