photography?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

infectious
regular

photography?

Post by infectious » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:20 am

Good evening all, It's been a while since I've been around these parts... I hope all is well.

So, I am in the fortunate position of finding myself in some pretty unique locations for work, so have decided to indulge a hobby and what I believe to be my halfway reasonable eye for a photo... I currently have a canon g11 which has served me well and taken some very nice shots, but it's time to switch to a dslr. For that, I need some advice...

I have no experience with slr's, so I am looking for any advice people want to give... With my budget I'm thinking of going for a Canon 60D with 18-55mm IS+55-250mm IS lenses. I was wondering what people thought of these, or else I may be able to stretch to a 7d if it is going to be significantly better... Any constructive suggestions for other options in the 1500-2000 dollar range would be appreciated.

I just purchased a macbook pro (not really sure why, because I've never used a mac either) and I was also wondering what people found to be the best and easiest program for editing photos...

Lastly, if all goes according to plan, I would like to think I could offload a couple of pics for cash... I know that this is very difficult, but you need to have goals right? The other advice I would appreciate is how you go about selling photos and to whom... I really have no idea...

Thankyou for your time,

Infectious
"I wanna be on you"

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Re: photography?

Post by Kunji » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:19 am

Canon 7d and ditch the mac and get a pc.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

KMD
regular

Post by KMD » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:13 am

I would say grab a cheaper body second hand. Spend the saved money on some quality lenses. Over time the body will get replaces but you always keen good glass.

As for editing, photoshop or lightroom will do. Available from all good downloading sites.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:19 am

Second the 7d ... :!:

Not sure why Coops would recommend ditching the Mac ... from my experience they are far superior in the graphics department ... personal choice I suppose.

Now back to the camera body ... the 7d is a very good camera ... but you will need to acquire some good glass to go with it ... so add on a few thousand more for that ... and a tripod ... a good quality camera bag ... maybe a monopod ... filters ... spare batteries ... lens cleaners ... and and and.

Put clear filters on expensive lenses for protection ... they are relatively cheap to replace ... compared to a scratched or damaged lens repair or replacement.

Or what KMD said ... say a 500d or 550d with a twin lens kit would get you started ... and build on it from there ... with good quality lenses.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

KMD
regular

Post by KMD » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:33 pm

Womble is crazy. Apart from the camera and lenses all you need is a tripod. But even thats not necessary if your just carrying it around with you. Although it does help make me think more about composition of the image.

Dont get the twin lens kit. You will just replace those lenses sooner or later, best to get some good stuff straight away imo.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:56 pm

^^^ that sounds just like something dino would say. but with a bogan twist to throw the hounds off the scent..
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

KMD
regular

Post by KMD » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:16 pm

Bogan? Ouch.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:22 pm

I think you sound like a bit of a bogan too KMD...

just sayin.

Butts

Post by Butts » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:03 pm

infectious wrote:Good evening all, It's been a while since I've been around these parts... I hope all is well.

So, I am in the fortunate position of finding myself in some pretty unique locations for work, so have decided to indulge a hobby and what I believe to be my halfway reasonable eye for a photo... I currently have a canon g11 which has served me well and taken some very nice shots, but it's time to switch to a dslr. For that, I need some advice...

I have no experience with slr's, so I am looking for any advice people want to give... With my budget I'm thinking of going for a Canon 60D with 18-55mm IS+55-250mm IS lenses. I was wondering what people thought of these, or else I may be able to stretch to a 7d if it is going to be significantly better... Any constructive suggestions for other options in the 1500-2000 dollar range would be appreciated.

I just purchased a macbook pro (not really sure why, because I've never used a mac either) and I was also wondering what people found to be the best and easiest program for editing photos...

Lastly, if all goes according to plan, I would like to think I could offload a couple of pics for cash... I know that this is very difficult, but you need to have goals right? The other advice I would appreciate is how you go about selling photos and to whom... I really have no idea...

Thankyou for your time,

Infectious
Infectious, firstly you need to work out what you want to shoot!!

Landscapes, Portraits, Sport, Surfing?????? All???

Based on your budget.
As previously stated, bodies aren't THAT important, the glass is where the investment should be made.

Personally this is what I would do for Landscapes:
Buy a second hand 5D, and spend your cash on some good "WIDE" glass. 14mm f2.8 or 16-35 f2.8 or 24-70 f2.8
The Glass is where your money is best well spent.

Portraits:
Second hand 5D. Glass: 85 f1.8 & 135 f2

Sports/Surfing:
Second hand 50D. 100-400 f4-5.6 or 400 f5.6 or 200 f4 or 200 f2.8.

All scenarios, throw in a 50 f1.8 (cheap as chips but performs admirably) and a tripod.

Photo editing: Photoshop.

Selling images, well that depends what your target will be.
Send me a PM, happy to discuss.
All these drawings about dinosaurs… Why can’t we have photos?

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:18 pm

The Canon 100-400 is a really versatile lens ... more than adequate for most surf photography and great for wildlife / nature.
One thing I have found that seems to improve shots with this lens ... is to not open it up to the full 400 when zooming in ... keep it just under full extension and the clarity on sports shots is improved dramatically.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Butts

Post by Butts » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:30 pm

Butts wrote: Sports/Surfing:
Second hand 50D. 100-400 f4-5.6 or 400 f5.6 or 200 f4 or 200 f2.8.
Sorry the 200 f4 & 200 f2.8 should actually be the 70-200 f4 and 70-200 f2.8.

Womble, the 400 f5.6 is better again, purely because its a prime.
You are correct about not fully extending the 100-400, from what I have read.
All these drawings about dinosaurs… Why can’t we have photos?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:02 pm

I' m really happy with a Canon 550D EOS started with a 400D and got the 100/400 IS lens Iwas advised IMO correctly get a good basic and go for good lenses. With the lens stay as advised just under full 400 and the shots focus better. the lens kits that come as a starter bonus are just that starter lenses.
Have a look at second high end cameras but a little risky.
550Ds are a good new price now at Digital Cmera warehouse and dirt cheap cameras, maybe Ebay. Other RSers might have good places to buy.
don't forget to get a tripod. recommend the Mac and Lightroom3 or Photoshop. My personal tastes but I'm get getting shots published in surf magazines. Getting paid too! :D

The filter tip is a good one, protects the expensive lenses, sound advice throughout the entire range posted.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Ned
Grommet

Post by Ned » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:18 am

if theres plenty of light a fully extended 100-400 has been plenty sharp for me. Not so great on a cloudy day tho. Agree on comments about camera bodies. I purchased a 30d a few years back second hand with a housing for water sho. It still takes a great photo after all the years it been superceded by other bigger brothers.