Mavericks death (Original)

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Big wave charger Hawaiian Silos Milosky killed whilst surfing mavericks today.

Always sends a shiver down my spine when I read of a surfer dying.

Skipper
Duke Status

Re: Mavericks death

Post by Skipper » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:21 pm

Very sad news. ( On top of everything else)
Such an accomplished charger. That XXl wave he won paddling into at Outwr Logs I think, remember seeing that on a huge screen in the pub, my heart raced like I was there in the channel.

Mavericks has claimed a couple of notables now. Wonder how many lesser knowns too.
And I guess the fact that it has claimed experienced big wave riders, I can imagine how many lesser skilled have been claimed or come very fcukin close to perishing.
Matt Warshaw's book on the place sent shivers down my spine just reading about it many years ago.
I reckon there's some bad juju associated with it.
Same with Shipsterns a bit. It's been said it's only a matter of time before it claims a life.
Not to eventuate the better.

RIP SM.

happyripper
regular

Post by happyripper » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:28 pm

at least he died doing what he loved. He's definately got a place in heaven next to huey. Aloha brother
tomtom wrote: Im daddy's special boy

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:09 pm

They are saying he got held under by two waves. 25ft is the call.

Agree with your coment about Shippies Skipper, just a matter of time I reckon.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:46 pm

happyripper wrote:at least he died doing what he loved.
schimmt :shock:

i personaly...thinks it suxs too die no matter what :idea:

there is just too much death in the world atm ask details

( it's shallow seem care someone i don't know or care pretend too.... imo)

but my condalences to family and friends
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:54 am

Condolences to this family and friends.
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-new ... ck_check=1

"Alternate lines are always harder than easy lines."
and, his last quote here while he was buckling up, "Always gotta be safe."
rip Sion
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:23 am

skipper wrote:Mavericks has claimed a couple of notables now. Wonder how many lesser knowns too.
And I guess the fact that it has claimed experienced big wave riders, I can imagine how many lesser skilled have been claimed or come very fcukin close to perishing.
The Mercury article I read yesterday said just 2, the other death of course being Mark Foo in 1994. However I note that "Offshore"'s more recent Mercury link has deleted that detail.

There was a near-disaster in January that is the subject of an interesting dilemma posed in the Mercury about "illegal" jetskis in the break:-

In January, Orange County surfer Jacob Trette was knocked unconscious after a fall at the Mavericks break and was rushed to Stanford Medical Center. He recovered.

A surf photographer illegally patrolling the break on a Jet Ski pulled Trette from the water, igniting a debate over surfer safety at the break.

"On a day like that, we could probably use two professional lifeguards," Collins said. "Really, if that's what it's going to be doing out there, I would highly suggest that. I think that might have been a chance (for Milosky)."
[/i]

Butts

Post by Butts » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:16 am

Silos, RIP.

As an aside:
The illegal photographer mentioned above, was in fact Australian Russell Ord who I have had the pleasure of personally meeting.
His selfless act of saving Jacob, sparked much debate about the banning of surf skiis at Mavericks!!

Article about Jacob and Russell, "The Australian".
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5994828042
All these drawings about dinosaurs… Why can’t we have photos?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:17 pm

I agree with Fong, sad however it happens.

He drew different lines on the waves to most, a lot of big wave riding has turned into survival stance on waves that maybe shouldn't be ridden, Silos and Kohl Christensen (sp?) always draw (drew :cry: ) those lines that have your heart in your mouth.

Got me to thinking about the extent to which the extreme sports really are pushing the boundaries of what is possible. I used to feel like I maintained some connection to things like big mountain snowboarding, now these sports are so far out of the realms of my understanding I feel somewhat detached, the adrenalin rush isn't there. Guys like those mentioned above, through their guts, skill, and pure artistry bring back a sense of reality.

It just got a little too real for Silos. RIP.

Little
regular

Post by Little » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Yeah, bad luck brother...that's what you get. I know I'm having heaps of fun in Sydney 2 - 4 ft mush. I love it when we get a good 6 - 8 ft at the Bower. I love it up the coast at 4-6 foot. That's surfing. Go out in insane big shit to prove your manhood and come off second best....bad luck, you weren't as good as you thought you were and you died. That's life. Sucker.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:35 am

^^^
"that's what you get......you're not as good as you thought you were..... sucker" ?

more than a little harsh, little. I hope you're taking the piss, though it's neither the time nor the place, .

as to what your definition of real surfing is, well, Sion pretty much did it all.
I believe he was the number three longboarder in the world for a time, mastered pipe on a shortboard, and did all manner of tow-ins prior to falling in love with big wave paddle in surfing.

that was a small shallow statement you made there little.
marauding mullet wrote:

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:35 am

woolly wrote:
Little wrote: to prove your manhood
This statement indicates your understanding of big wave riding.

The remainder of your post reflects your complete lack of heart.

Sorry Little, you have nothing.
Apparently the name of "Little" is used to denote the size of his manhood. :(

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:21 pm

woolly wrote:
Little wrote: to prove your manhood
This statement indicates your understanding of big wave riding.

The remainder of your post reflects your complete lack of heart.

Sorry Little, you have nothing.
I'm with you, woolly.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Little
regular

Post by Little » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:13 pm

Okay, apologies...it was a bit shallow and inappropriate. The point I was trying to make is that all these extreme sport participants are taking huge risks. They know it, we all know it so when something like this happens it should more or less be expected. Round the world solo yachtsmen, base jumpers etc, they're putting themselves in a perilous position by choice for no other reason than self gratification, similar to heroin addicts. If they were fighting for their country or maybe pulling bodies out of the rubble in Sendai when they died I would consider that a terrible tragedy.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:17 pm

No worries little. i went back and read some of your old posts. You're ok by me. you're a pretty funny cnut.

i didn't write goose, but you know wat i mean....

Scion seemed like he was a really good bloke. Loved the ocean in all its power and was willing to meet it on its terms.. that's impressive to me.
marauding mullet wrote:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:15 pm

Good reply little.
Well said.
Beanpole

Skipper

happyripper
regular

Re: Mavericks death (Original)

Post by happyripper » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:56 pm

Why wasn't littles original post moved to the other thread? Thats what started all this crap.
tomtom wrote: Im daddy's special boy