The Outsider

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

channels
Snowy McAllister

Re: The Outsider

Post by channels » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:12 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:36 pm
godsavethequeen wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:13 pm
A pretty hefty contribution to the economic prosperity that makes Lennox the sort of place you and your family want to live in.
You sure do come up with some weird assumptions.

If I wanted economic prosperity I'd be making cold calls beside Loof at Bondi Junction.
No you wouldn't.

Never spoken to a recruitment agent that didn't have an English accent.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:16 pm

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:57 pm

Steve, it seems that the Australian CTs are quite effective at bringing people to the beach. As someone who is well used to mingling with the throng, what’s your assessment of who they are? Are they surf fans and actually watching the action? Random punters attracted by an event? Beach goers who would have been there anyway?
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:23 pm

Definitely not people who would have been there anyway. In fact notification of an event would be motivation to holiday somewhere else for a lot of people.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:29 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:38 pm
There's gonna be four CTs in Australia, a couple of 'em in slightly unexpected places, you'll all read about it tomorrow. Lots of people will watch 'em online, if the surf's good they'll be stoked but will fight over the judging or some shit. If the surf's not very good they'll blame the WSL, whatever.

Everyone likes eating the sausage at the BBQ but nobody likes thinking about how the sausage gets made.
Or everyone wants to go to heaven. But, no one wants to die. Or maybe not, I just like using that expression.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:31 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:57 pm
Steve, it seems that the Australian CTs are quite effective at bringing people to the beach. As someone who is well used to mingling with the throng, what’s your assessment of who they are? Are they surf fans and actually watching the action? Random punters attracted by an event? Beach goers who would have been there anyway?
Mixed bag.

But there has been a very marked and noticeable shift in the crowd at Snapper.

Way less Aussie surf fans and way more Brazilians and Euros.

I reckon when Italo won at D-bah the crowd was more than 50% Latin American. Possibly way more if you add Euros.

I suspect the success of the Brazilians and failure of the Aussies is contributing to the changing mix, as well as the increasing numbers of students and temporary visa workers from that part of the world living on the Gold Coast.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:33 pm

Thud wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:29 pm
Nick Carroll wrote:
There's gonna be four CTs in Australia, a couple of 'em in slightly unexpected places, you'll all read about it tomorrow. Lots of people will watch 'em online, if the surf's good they'll be stoked but will fight over the judging or some shit. If the surf's not very good they'll blame the WSL, whatever.

Everyone likes eating the sausage at the BBQ but nobody likes thinking about how the sausage gets made.
Or everyone wants to go to heaven. But, no one wants to die. Or maybe not, I just like using that expression.
We all have wings....but some of us don't know why.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:37 pm

Have any brazzo surfers migrated to Vicco yet?
They were still non-existent down there when I left 7 years ago.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:38 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:23 pm
Definitely not people who would have been there anyway. In fact notification of an event would be motivation to holiday somewhere else for a lot of people.
Beans, I’ve listened to that for two Summers up here now. Frankly, I think people just like complaining. They don’t seem to run away anywhere during the height of Summer. In fact I think they like walking around saying “can’t wait until the holidays are over” and hoping people agree. Once it’s all over they fall back into their quite life practicing their lines for the next holiday “can’t wait until the holidays are over”. And so it goes.
Beanpole wrote:

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:44 pm

I was just pondering foamy’s question to Nick and it got me thinking about the apparent discrepancy between the ‘live’ and ‘broadcast’ audiences. Most sports, if you’re packing out a stadium it would seem that you can assume x times that number will watch on telly or whatever but surfing seems to be the complete opposite (based on the paltry viewing figures that Stu from swellnet reported before they switched platforms) and I suppose I was wondering why that may be
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:47 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:31 pm
godsavethequeen wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:57 pm
Mixed bag.

But there has been a very marked and noticeable shift in the crowd at Snapper.

Way less Aussie surf fans and way more Brazilians and Euros.

I reckon when Italo won at D-bah the crowd was more than 50% Latin American. Possibly way more if you add Euros.

I suspect the success of the Brazilians and failure of the Aussies is contributing to the changing mix, as well as the increasing numbers of students and temporary visa workers from that part of the world living on the Gold Coast.
Nice dose of Ebola woukd have been handy. Don’t miss them.

Sorry, I was thinking that. Didn’t mean to write it. Forget I ever said that.
Beanpole wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:08 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:

It's nice to have a bullish outlook but you'd be a brave man to stake your reputation on taking the WSL at face value when they claim to be capable of delivering 4 CT's based on the huge gulf between what is being promised and what is being delivered.

I think a problem for them now is too many people seeing what goes into the sausage and how it is made.

but yeah in the sense that all publicity is good publicity I think there will be interest.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:21 pm

I can predict 2 of the CTs. The Merewether Pro and the Dixon Park Pro.

My daughter went to the the Duranbah comp. The surf was crap on that day. She was on the beach and the women competitors disappeared to the Lovers northern end. They were basically out of sight. ‘This is pretty much fcuked as entertainment’ she thought. Then they had the aerial comp. Surf was still crap and no one was landing anything, but they were surfing a left (where there shouldn’t be one) into the southern end breakwater. She moved to stand on the breakwater and, because the surfers were very close, that was entertaining, but I don’t think she will be racing back. She said, most of the audience on the wall were European.

Over55yrs
Harry the Hat

Post by Over55yrs » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:23 pm

Well if Victoria (thought Urbnsurf might get one but the lockout won't allow it) and Queensland are no go's, then NSW has them all - Newcastle plus 3 and all in very short notice.

Presumably Destination NSW is there with taxpayer money.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:24 pm

I actually quite enjoyed the DBah comp as a spectator.

there was little corporate structure to inhibit viewing angles.

they fcuking bombed it though trying to get Snapper and missing the best day of the waiting period at DBah.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:25 pm

Over55yrs wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:23 pm
Well if Victoria (thought Urbnsurf might get one but the lockout won't allow it) and Queensland are no go's, then NSW has them all - Newcastle plus 3 and all in very short notice.

Presumably Destination NSW is there with taxpayer money.
Not the lockout WSL owns Kelly Slater wave pool, they won't use competing technology.

WA is still in.

Rottnest is a possibility.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:31 pm

lol ... it's sounding like a weekend boardrider's comp.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:41 pm

Of course, to walk on to the very safe breakwater my daughter had to step over the chain with the do no walk on the breakwater sign, which I’m pretty sure was put up by the WSL. ha ha
Last edited by foamy on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.