Dear Fong Hislop

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

TMC
Harry the Hat

Dear Fong Hislop

Post by TMC » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:32 am

Been a while since we had a good shark thread.

http://www.coastalwatch.com/news/articl ... &cateId=3&

Beach meshing; worth the cost of the sharks lives for peace of mind? Do they even work?
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

bombora
Local

Re: Dear Fong Hislop

Post by bombora » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:59 am

Got to question a "story" which still claims GNS numbers are 300 to 500. That figure is from a flawed 2003 "survey". That figure is now widely accepted as poop. The methodology poor. A very conservative estimate of GNS numbers is now 1000 to 1500 and could quite possibly be many thousands. Won't stop the green machine still demanding even more closures of habitat (read top fishing spots).
Wish people who claim to be shark protectors would use science and not emotive BS aimed at the ignorant. Same people demanded complete protection of mako sharks in OZ. This was because of a massive fall in mako numbers in the Med and Atlantic. One problem, they are totally seperate populations. No evidence what so ever (and a crap load of makos have been tagged in OZ for many years) that Oz makos and northern hemisphere makos are linked. In fact makos are damn common on Oz east coast. So what exactly would a Oz mako ban have done????

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:36 pm

Clearly a well researched article. :roll:

"Until a fatality occurred at Amity Point on the Moreton Bay side of Stradbroke Island in the summer of 2006, there had never been a death by shark attack at a netted beach."

Amity has drumlines, not nets.
TMC wrote:Do they even work?
They catch stuff. What's their intended purpose?

Toby Wan
regular

Post by Toby Wan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:48 pm

was just reading this article and was going to chuck it on RS to see people's reactions - figured it fits in here..

is it the shark nets helping here, or are we all just so paranoid despite there not being (relatively) many attacks at all?

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/conse ... 1alor.html

i like the idea of shark nets deterring sharks from becoming familiar with an area but I reckon there's a better option out there which has less collateral damage to other species..

whole beach shark-pod would be ideal if they really worked i guess

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:55 pm

alakaboo wrote:Clearly a well researched article. :roll:
Amity has drumlines, not nets.
Yeah I came on here to say the same thing, I remember clearly back then that there were only drum lines and absolutely no mention of any nets. Pretty bad using factual errors to prove a point.
The wave at Curl Curl is so good they had to name it twice :mrgreen:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:01 pm

TMC wrote:Do they even work?
"In fact, about 40% of shark entanglements occur on the beach side of the nets, because sharks are able to swim over and around them."

That should answer that question.

"Until a fatality occurred at Amity Point on the Moreton Bay side of Stradbroke Island in the summer of 2006, there had never been a death by shark attack at a netted beach."

Excellent. Pointless (and highly doubtful) statistics. Irrelevant. Unless causality can be proved, which it can't (see previous quote) then this is equivalent to saying that "until 2010, there had never been a death by shark attack on a red sand beach".

I find that hard to believe in any case.

I'm ambivalent about them. But I do have a dislike for BS statistics.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:47 pm

Even at the highest number of attacks world wide, it wouldn't rate a mention if it weren't for irrational fear...
If you think the men in grey suits are a worry, check this out (old as, but still interesting)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 000613.htm

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:12 pm

there are alot of sharks caught off garie and wattamola, so if you dont like sharks, dont go there. :wink: ive seen whites and tigers pulled outa there. in fact all the sharks ive seen brought in come from either of those 2 beaches....

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:11 pm

Trivia: Queeensland has more fatal shark attacks in Oz waters.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:04 pm

sorry late reply...been fishin :lol:

my honest advice is kill them before they kill you!!!!

:arrow: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/820 ... -on-marlin
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:28 am

He said "a cloud of blood" erupted from the marlin, before the mako let go and swam away.

"I then had to swim through the blood to get back to the boat," Mr McGlashan said.

A spokesmarlin said later, "bummer, that would have been one less predator we'd have to put up with".

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:41 am

brendo wrote:there are alot of sharks caught off garie and wattamola, so if you dont like sharks, dont go there. :wink: ive seen whites and tigers pulled outa there. in fact all the sharks ive seen brought in come from either of those 2 beaches....
one day, i saw a fair bit of thrashing and blood at wottamolla. it cleared eveyone out of the water pretty quick. but it didn't stop an old guy from swimming a good distance out in nasty conditions. what a trooper!

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:28 am

purple pyramids wrote:
brendo wrote:there are alot of sharks caught off garie and wattamola, so if you dont like sharks, dont go there. :wink: ive seen whites and tigers pulled outa there. in fact all the sharks ive seen brought in come from either of those 2 beaches....
one day, i saw a fair bit of thrashing and blood at wottamolla. it cleared eveyone out of the water pretty quick. but it didn't stop an old guy from swimming a good distance out in nasty conditions. what a trooper!
the longboarder from here went out at Garie one time, and reckoned there was a massive bronzy beneath him.
Quietly, I think he might've near shat himself :(
ddin't stop him getting tubed when I went out with him the next week,
before the big cancer got him within a couple of months :cry:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:49 pm

they are here and they are after us :arrow:

:arrow: http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/st ... ing-shark/

:shock:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:06 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:they are here and they are after us :arrow:

:arrow: http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/st ... ing-shark/

:shock:
What ! Another predator gets a nip. Serves him right for puttin' his hand near it.

But if you insist, make sure you're surfing with someone who's creative with a legrope.

http://www.smh.com.au - How a shark attack put the bite on medicine
12 Feb 2011… made it back to shore, the surfer was prepared for death …
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/how-a-shark-... - Options 

And , I might add, having spoken with him in the surf since, NOT of the view his attacker, or any other sharks, should be hunted down.
Same goes for the Navy diver bitten same week !

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:04 pm

u dear skipper are startin sound like a fish lovin chicken eater :!:

i hate those people :lol:

i draw the line at killing dolphins :arrow:

whale meat is much nicer :o

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:43 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:u dear skipper are startin sound like a fish lovin chicken eater :!:

i hate those people :lol:

i draw the line at killing dolphins :arrow:

whale meat is much nicer :o
gives
pool of blood
a whole new meaning