harlequin baby - where did it go?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: harlequin baby - where did it go?

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:58 pm

dinosaur wrote:you've really got a way with words trev. You say you were a journalist?

Mostly Queensland readership was it?
Why use a heap of words when one will do?
"Idiot" is all I need to say.
Everything you say just proves my point.
Keep going Dino. Dig your hole deeper.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:28 pm

dinosaur wrote:When do you think i should apologize trev?
Dino, I don't think you should apologise. If you don't see the need.
But I do think you should bow out of the discusssion with good grace.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:20 pm

the pictures were unacceptable. Nothing more needs be said.

josh
the tools of the trade are the head and the heart - mission of burma

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:27 pm

dinosaur wrote:And we've come full circle. My question is why are they unacceptable now but they weren't 12 months ago?
Dino, the point you've missed is that they were no more acceptable 12 months ago than now. What's changed is, too some extent the demographic of Realsurf posters, combined with a number of us finally saying now what we should have said then.
In other words, cease and desist.
I wonder how many "newbies" we've lost because they stumbled on some of the less savoury segments of this forum and decided it wasn't for them.
Beanpole

Skipper

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:51 pm

dinosaur wrote:
TrevG wrote: I wonder how many "newbies" we've lost because they stumbled on some of the less savoury segments of this forum and decided it wasn't for them.
Part of the natural venting ?process that up until now gave this joint it's particular flavor and kept it from being a meeting place for mindless cum stains. There was always a place for those jokers. Forums like Seabreeze and the like. It would seem that now Real Surf is just that sort of place.
So why are you still here?
Beanpole

Skipper

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:09 pm

You agreed earlier on the basis of context Dino.

And even if the previous posting of said babies had no context then,  other than for the amusement of a few, it
took on a dizzying frenzy of its own, not unlike, dare i say, an unsolicited gang bang might.  Meaning that at the time it seemed  ok. But in the clearer light of reason and better judgement becomes abhorant and regretful.  Your defence of the postings previously suggests if it was ok then, why not now?

I don't think my responses to this are driven by a sense of being part of a new demographic on here and I'd defend the sometimes indefensible on the grounds only that if it has a point of context in that whatever lame, crude, distasteful, humour is propogated by an opinion or statement by a member, let the members decide if it's got legs. 
As already stated Bang's and Tom Toms posting were neither a response to someone's comments.....or re interpretation of such for the sake of humour. They were plain and simply needling this so assumed 'new order'  ..... (real vanilla surf)   :twisted:

Newbies, should they be shocked by their initial entry here should have the common sense to delve further into the vaults to find some truly meaningless good humour and the occassional bit of intelligent banter or info.

It's been made clear earlier too, that RS is unique, or was, depending on who you listen to, and there's no reason to change it. Dum cum stains aside, there's more than a few old bright sparks coming, no pun, and going. It's just cyclical. And maybe just maybe, it has run it's course. Maybe not.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:51 pm

I'm not even sure why this is an issue. If I had seen those pictures last time they were posted, they would have been deleted.

As it happens, I don't get to look at every single thread and every single post. I don't have the time, nor the inclination.

I am sure there are dark corners in these forums where unsavory things sometimes take root. If I find them, I'll pull them out. I'll remind you of my initial post, and the subsequent one:

a) the pictures were distasteful

b) this is a surf forum

c) therefore on two counts the images were unacceptable

Wrapping your justifications for posting such garbage in notions of "humour" is completely off-base. I think you should take a long walk in the hall of mirrors.

enough.

Josh

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:40 pm

hear hear.

well said Josh.

as for dino........... well............. there's no hope.......... you need jesus!
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:53 pm

dinosaur wrote:
collnarra wrote:I'm not even sure why this is an issue.

yeah well not so long ago on these forums one used to be able to engage others in a debate or discussion or argument that usually had nothing to do with surfing and quite often had nothing to do with the original post topic. It seems now that most of the demographic are comfortable and relaxed, their is no need for discussion.
Oh Damn!
I agree with Dino here.
I hope Josh didn't mean that in the way it's come out.
There's too much fun to be had.
IMO this is a forum on which surfers can discuss surfing - and other things. Could get pretty boring otherwise.

Note: none of the above should be taken out of context to say I agree with Dino on unsavoury postings (like Harlequin babies).
Beanpole

Skipper

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Edit: Retarded ramble, had to go.
Last edited by Haz on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:14 pm

beachbanga wrote:Alright, this is getting ridiculous. Regardless of my apology, there seems to be a shitload of single minded boganesque bullshit going on here.
TrevG wrote: I wonder how many "newbies" we've lost because they stumbled on some of the less savoury segments of this forum and decided it wasn't for them.
Well I don't know about you but I wonder how many brilliant insightful witty offensive scholars like Shmental we've lost over the years because of semi retarded easily offended goatboats like S4MS.
To extend the thought, I wonder how many of the lost newbies could have developed into just the same sort of posters you bemoan the loss of.
As much as the detracters like to moan how we've lost the "brilliantly witty and insighful", I would argue that many of them will move on anyway. It's a natural process. They move on looking for new markets for their talents. Some of them like to post one final dig which is just there way of saying, "Seeya guys. I'm tired of this audience. And you've pretty much seen all my tricks anyway"

All that aside, I agree most threads and most posts are great, even those on or over the line (my line, anyway).
It's just that some people (I think you admitted to being one of them) like to push the barriers and see how far they can go before someone pulls them up. Then, like Dino, they get all sooky and spit the dummy. In reality, if we had enough moderators, the line would be crossed less often.
It's a bit like graffiti artists (actually it's a LOT like graffiti artists). Obliterate their crap over-the-top stuff as soon as possible after they've posted it and they'll probably do it less often.
Just attention getters who can't make it in real life anyway.
Beanpole

Skipper

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:39 pm

For what it's worth I think there's a difference between posting a picture of a harlequin baby on page 3 of some highjacked thread and actually starting a thread titled 'Harlequin Baby'.

You with me? And therein lies the fine line in the art of comedy that I think Dino's getting at.

Apology or not, giving that particular concept its very own thread still means you're a bit of a dickhead (when viewed from a certain angle of incidence).

Sorry if someone's said that already.

:D

PS: Good point Trev about prospective newbies that have been turned off hanging around due to things like HQ baby threads. I agree.

PPS: Yeah people that announce there 'outta here' cause it's all getting so boring :arrow: :roll:

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:00 pm

Damage wrote:PPS: Yeah people that announce there 'outta here' cause it's all getting so boring :arrow: :roll:
Look I wouldn't like to see them leave upset ....... :arrow:

but just go .... :lol:

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:03 pm

t was deleted because of the amount of offended posters who brought the thread to a screaming train wreck
no. that's not the case at all. The images were unsavoury. That's why the thread was deleted. As far as debate, rhetoric, wind ups, Roy and everything else goes, I am fine with it. But I won't have pictures of disabled or disfigured children used as "joke" fodder.

Am I being clear enough Dino?

Josh

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Where'd all this weepy sentiment for newbies come from?

Back when I joined if Dino hadn't called you a cnut in the first 5 postings you felt insulted.

Newbies bail 'cause it's boring.

10 pages bemoaning whats wrong.....why not say something interesting.

I physically can't look at a harlequin baby so I'm glad the thread was titled; it means I didn't have to look.

What? I have a choice?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:25 pm

And with the deletion of some threads(?) lot's of post numbers are down.
puurri now has only 4922 so he's lost 77
And Carroll has dropped below his 6000+ mark to 5930.
Beanpole

Skipper

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:05 pm

phpHbhThMPM.jpg
phpHbhThMPM.jpg (36.18 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
There you go Woolly.
I picked a black and white cause your an old cnut :mrgreen:
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:46 pm

Beautiful.
Beanpole

Skipper