Olo tour continues. . .

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Re: The Eddie

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:58 pm

TrevG wrote:
Doesn''t matter whether the contest is on or not Roy.
Have to disagree with you there old sport, if the contest was never on there wouldn't be much of interest in the Eddie, the contest is the crux of the entire promotion.

This thread is about the Eddie.
I have to agree with you there old bean, but the statement's a bit on the obvious side.

leave the contest alone
Leave the contest alone ?

The thread is about the contest, so leaving the contest alone means straying from the topic.

Thus it would be better to concentrate on the contest rather than leaving it alone.

You seem to be a tad confused...

Haz
barnacle

The Eddie

Post by Haz » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:
You seem to be a tad confused...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that's a funny!

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:14 pm

Hey Roy. Why don't you sponsor one of the proven big wave guys at the next Eddie?

Seeing as how sales have been so good and that you market your boards for over half a million there should be enough in the kitty to back someone to win the contest on one of your superior big wave riding boards.

Come on pal. Put your bong I mean money where your mouth is..

I'm sure Slater who is the best all-round surfer ever and one of the great design innovators would be happy to give one of your cutting edge boards a go...
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:12 pm

Not even close, business for hollow wooden kitsets, paipos, alaias, wax, fins and plans is good but won't finance major pro action.

If I sell a finished board for the advertised price you'll see some action though :D

PS better not ask about my boards on this thread it's not kosher . . .

Quangers
Local

Re: Olo tour continues. . .

Post by Quangers » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Hey Kayu and Roy,
You blokes have history, yeah?
What's the story??

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Quangers wrote:Hey Kayu and Roy,
You blokes have history, yeah?
What's the story??
No big story Quangers, Stewart got himself almost banned from tree to sea forum for being a prick, and rather than accept it like a man, he needs someone to blame...he considers himself the "immaculate conception" as usual , like a spoilt little mamies boy.... :)...(he also seems to resent the fact that I make wooden surfboards that actually perform , while he hasn't got of 1st base yet )
Attachments
dvs  7ft 6'' gun 002.jpg
dvs 7ft 6'' gun 002.jpg (16.6 KiB) Viewed 2798 times

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:21 am

Rave on kayu, the only time you get noticed is when you are following me around, like some wannabe paparazzi. . . :roll:

Left to your own devices you never have anything to say !
Last edited by Roy_Stewart on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:26 am

kayu wrote:
he considers himself the "immaculate conception"
Hmmm well most of the Maori people in town here call me Jesus, but just let me go and ask my Mother about the conception issue. . . .

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:52 am

Roy_Stewart wrote: Hmmm well most of the Maori people in town here call me Jesus.
As in, "Oh Jesus. It's HIM again". :lol:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:58 am

Did someone say Bwyan? :wink:

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:11 am

Roy_Stewart wrote:Rave on kayu, the only time you get noticed is when you are following me around, like some wannabe paparazzi. . . :roll:

I'm not here to get noticed Stuart ( or sell), just to participate .. :lol: its a concept that seems foreign to you :roll:.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:29 am

TrevG wrote:
Roy_Stewart wrote: Hmmm well most of the Maori people in town here call me Jesus.
As in, "Oh Jesus. It's HIM again". :lol:
No as in "Hello Jesus"

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:30 am

kayu wrote:
Roy_Stewart wrote:
Rave on kayu, the only time you get noticed is when you are following me around, like some wannabe paparazzi. . . :roll:

I'm not here to get noticed Stuart ( or sell), just to participate .. :lol: its a concept that seems foreign to you :roll:.
Face it you have F all to say .

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:32 am

Roy_Stewart wrote:
kayu wrote:
Roy_Stewart wrote:

Face it you have F all to say .

I'll say this , you cant sleep at night unless you have the last say ! :lol:....(and actions speak louder than words, which you will eventually learn...when reality catches up to you :) )
Last edited by kayu on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:44 pm

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:07 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:.
I totally agree with that Stuart , thats the most sensible post youve ever done... :lol:

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:20 pm

actually roy may have a point.
not knowing much about surfboards, but having read many magasine articles regarding big wave guns. I remember reading some articles in surfer or surfing mag in the 90's where the writer expressed that big wave boards are 90% paddling and 10% surfing.
They discussed the weight distribution of the board and how many big wave riders and shapers have got it wrong (in the writers opinion).
The article also mentioned how many mavs riders at the time were taking off and not making the wave, most people wouldnt make the drop... this was 1994/5 ish so board design may have changed.

did you design your boards rocker with this in mind?
it looks like it would resist pearling or nose diving more than a regular flatter rockered board.

Its a shame you havent found someone yet to take this board out in that size, if i could ride stand up better i would give it a go.

If you make a big wave bodyboard i will test it out for you.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi Marcus,

Even as late as 2004/5 the level of understanding was so low that much of the carnage at mavericks was blamed on a mythical 'suction zone' . I wrote some long essays on Swaylocks on the subject and how it was really to do with too much toe in and cant which was stopping the boards from turning. The typical side fin cant and toe in which was used in smaller waves was cut and pasted on to big wave guns and couldn't handle the speeds involved at mavericks. Of course the industry legends all denied this and I was abused for saying it but the message got through after a while and now it is common knowledge that zero or low toe in and cant is required for faster speeds and bigger waves.

At present most big wave paddle in guns are still based on the tail riding shortboard concept. This is a fundamental mistake in my opinion, as the tail riding position is inherently unstable and gives poor control. With a more central riding position far better control can be achieved. In addition the wider tails used in such boards have the problem that because the planing lift produced by the tail ( and fins) increases by the square as speed increases, it becomes increasingly difficult to turn the boards at higher speeds, as the rail to rail leverage exerted by the tail increases drastically. that's why we see riders having to slow down at the bottom of the wave to turn rather than turning as they go down the face. Tails ( currently I'm the only one doing this ) which are extremely narrow ( thus having low planing area and very little rail to rail leverage ) but which have substantial buoyancy avoid this problem completely regardless of speed, as buoyant lift does not increase as speed increases.

Rocker wise the central riding position can be achieved with variety of rockers including those with very flat tail sections, but the board we sent to hawaii follows one of our most successful rocker and planshape combinations which we've been using since 1995 ( the circular arc or 'spherical' rocker whereby the nose and tail rocker measurement is identical and the widepoint in planshape as 50% back from the nose ) This rocker and planshape combination is ideal for the central riding position. I've been consistently mocked and attacked for using this setup ever since the beginning,( and I've been publicly singing its praises for the past 15 years ) but the fact of the matter is that it's a very good system. I noticed only last week that the maker of 'Stretch' surfboards has announced a new innovation ( supoosedly new anyway) namely the spherical rocker and 50/50 planshape proportion inorder to achieve a more forward, central riding position on his guns. So the message appears to be getting through again.

There's a lot more to this particular design ( the FP13 which is in hawaii ) for example the displacement or sinker tail which allows the tail to be sunk for control during steep drops or turns, and the use of large fin area with a narrow tail and circular arc tail in planshape for presentation of the fin at angles which provide significant planing lift when angling and dropping on steep walls.

Weight distribution wise the distribution is approximately proportional to the planshape area, thus there is significant weight in the nose. This, combined with a long nose, provides penetration and control by allowing the nose weight to guide the board's glide path via the releasing and engaging of the rail.

The central riding position is all about balance.

http://olosurfer-woodensurfboardsatpipe ... -wave.html