Dane Quitting Tour/Sensationalism?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trilobite

Dane Quitting Tour/Sensationalism?

Post by Trilobite » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:00 am

Not sure if anyone noticed the fallout from a Stab interview hinting that Dane Reynolds was quitting the World Tour, but it provided an interesting window into the world of surf media.

http://www.theinertia.com/business-medi ... ournalism/

"It’s difficult to deny that when a small man with a press badge, tape recorder, and notebook observes you for the better part of two weeks, certain truths will surface – for better or worse. And although it’s essentially laughable to draw comparisons with the McChrystal/Rolling Stone debacle to anything in surf media…I’m doing it. Right now...Dane doesn’t need an editor to clarify or champion his direct quotations. He’s got himself (and his management) for that."

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Dane Quitting Tour/Sensationalism?

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:10 am

I can imagine journalists like that will burn their bridges pretty quick. The good ones get the trust of the interviewee and look after them, making them comfortable to go back for more later right?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Trilobite

Post by Trilobite » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:17 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote:I can imagine journalists like that will burn their bridges pretty quick. The good ones get the trust of the interviewee and look after them, making them comfortable to go back for more later right?
No matter how much a subject decides to trust a journalist, it's still a reporter's duty to report on what he or she observes - even if some of those revelations are unflattering - provided they are relevant to the story. While that may "burn bridges," it offers a more honest window into a topic instead of a sugary account of faux-friendship.

Cookie
regular

Post by Cookie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:06 am

STAB - yawn (they need an emoticon for that).

So Dane mentions that he's not sure if he wants to stick on the tour because he can't see the point of it, yeay after year. Did he say he's quitting? No. Sounds like a bit of a beat up really. Turning a few random thoughts into a big article complete with the sensationalist headline.

“Sure, this has been on my mind a lot the past few years. it’s not cause the tour aint rad or i don’t like competing, it’s simply wondering what climbing up and down the ratings for the next 10 years of my life is going to benefit. It’s a serious commitment doing the tour for a whole year. that’s 8 months of it right there. i just wonder if i could be doing something more personally fulfilling with that time. i’ve never made a decision and i enjoy going to every event and it’s a shame that Stab wants to exploit me in this way to sell magazines. surely in their article i say some critical things, because for some god forsaken reason i have trouble not saying whats on my mind when a sports writer provokes it, but at this point in time i’ll save my harshest criticism for Stab because this was a sleazy way to advertise they’re upcoming issue. (sic)”

Its hardly groundbreaking stuff. Doesn't every top level pro wonder why the hell they do it? Kelly, Andy, Bruce, etc etc. Especially a guy like Dane who seems temperamentally, pretty ill-suited to the pro contest scene and could still get paid seven figures to go free surfing. It would be kind of weird if he didn't question it. Almost every contest you watch Dane follow a 17+ point heat with a single figure disaster where nothing comes off and wonder why the hell he bothers.

Could be bleak next year without Dane, Kelly and Andy though...

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:12 pm

I'm still trying to comprehend how much guys get paid to free surf.

Stab is the new idea of surf media...just a piece of sensationalist tripe not worth wiping your post poo bum on

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:57 pm

I find it interesting how people rail on Stab. I'll be the first to admit it is up there with the Daily Telegraph for important news (and tend to focus on style over substance) but cast your mind back to the Parko ankle injury last year.

Egan was there telling Stab to go forth and multiply and that the ankle was fine, Stab reported that it could derail his title campaign yet Egan insisted he was fine despite Parko barely being able to walk out of the water. The other websites, notably Surfing Life, Surfline etc said he would be fine and followed the Egan party line.

One thing they do have going for them is they tend to care less about upsetting the QuikRipaBong apple cart thus speak their mins a little more. I see on other threads, particularly the AI one, that people are complaining when ASL etc aren't being open with a lot of what goes on behind the scenes on tour for fear of upsetting the big sponsors and the subsequent advertising dollars that go with it. Can't have it both ways....

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:15 pm

Stab's great. They serve their market well, they occasionally bust down taboos - Sarge? Matt Branson? - that the white bread surfing magazine world wouldn't touch with a pole. Some of their high concept stuff is pretty good too - a shoot in a Malaysian wavepool, for example.

I'm not exactly their target market, but I still enjoy it when I buy it, which isn't every issue. I'd never touch white bread tripe like ASL, Waves or Tracks. My local cafe gets those mags, and I am done with them in ten minutes.

each to their own.

Josh
the tools of the trade are the head and the heart - mission of burma

jaytee

Post by jaytee » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:09 pm

ah nvm, i suck at reading

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:52 pm

i'm with colnarra on this.....the big three and spin off websites are imitations each other

basiclly big ads

stab seems try breakout the mould...which shits the oppsition no end i'm sure :!:

wheres shearer? he should be all over a dane thread :idea:

quiet now he can't bask in n.c reflected respect maybe :roll: :?:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:18 pm

^^^^ No Fong.. I suspect that there has been a directive from Ben (thermal ben) who owns Swellnet and employs Stunet (2nd reef), Craig Brokenshaw (SA surfa) and Freeride 69 (Shearer). Which is to not post on other sites when it could potentially be traffic to Swellnet.. Fair play I'd do the same thing....

It's all about traffic Tim and why would people who are on the payroll of another website spend their time on another? It makes sense mate..

If you want to get over to Swellnet you can suck Shearer off to your hearts content...

Sorry back to suck my mums clit now..
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:33 am

mmph mmmph mmmmmmph, mmph mmph mmmmmmph mmph.

i said ..., 'hold on jimmy, i'm not finished yet.'
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:57 am

nah, not that.

Just been fcuk all going on here, and responding to Fluffy just seems kinda lame.

STAB is a shadow of their former selves.
They pulled their head in quick smart after the Fanning/Jew incident.

Shame really.

Dane is being a bit of a hypocritical goose if you ask me.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:44 am

steve shearer wrote:nah, not that.

Just been fcuk all going on here, and responding to Fluffy just seems kinda lame.

STAB is a shadow of their former selves.
They pulled their head in quick smart after the Fanning/Jew incident.

Shame really.

Steve, get in the music comp and vote.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Hey Outsider
You going to the North Shore to do outsider stuff this year?
You could still make it for Sunset and Pipe...
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:49 pm

Don;t think so BD.

Kelly's got the Ten.
Story is over.

I'm working on some stuff.

Going to do something more regular on SN : be stoked if you tuned in.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:05 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Fark me… what a turnaround mr Shearer.
I’ve never really seen what the attraction was in the “messiah”. Sure the smooth cali hotty looks majestic in the air(at times) but he seems to lack the raw power others have.
He’d get my vote as most overrated surfer on tour

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:00 pm

his sponers had ads on swellnet maybe :idea: :?:

thats how the surf media works isn't it :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Hano wrote:
steve shearer wrote:
Fark me… what a turnaround mr Shearer.
I’ve never really seen what the attraction was in the “messiah”. Sure the smooth cali hotty looks majestic in the air(at times) but he seems to lack the raw power others have.
He’d get my vote as most overrated surfer on tour
Nope he is not the most over rated surfer Hanno.. When he is on his game he is the best surfer in the world.. Look at
the quarter final against Parko at the Quik pro.. He killed Parko.. Parko even admitted that he had nothing against Dane..

If Dane is performing no one will beat him and they all know it..
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole