The search is a hoax

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nappy
Local

The search is a hoax

Post by Nappy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:16 am

Ive lost faith in the search event its not about finding the best waves, its about finding the best commercial interests.

I think this year is going to crap, Middles and wilderness dont look that world class sure they get world class occasionally but so does your local. Cleary Ripcurl are doing something dodgey where there just looking to take to the search to where they think there is a local market for there product. Or there been given monetery incentives to bring there search to a certain country.

Cleary this isnt about the best waves but the best market possibilties, expect to watch this event in crappy 3-4ft burgers. :shock:

Then again i could be totally wrong and a consipercy theroist who cant spell :P

Na seriously today was probably as good as they'll get, least it had some juice.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Re: The search is a hoax

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:11 am

i always thought their motives were pure. this really makes me think.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:32 am

Its just been about the boarshorts for a long time now. Anyone that thinks different is delusional. Rip Curl isn't alone though, why else would you hold a surf comp at Santa Catarine in Brazil at all if it was more about wave quality than product? The only wave worse on tour this year was Bells and that was a fkucing discrace that a comeptition was held in those conditions.

I wouldnt be suprised if bong dropped Teahupoo next year and let Quiksilver take it over. Its a massive investment for a country (French Polynesia) that never has to buy wetsuits.

Looking forward to the dead rubber Hawaiian leg though. The Eddie is the only events with true reputation left on the calendar.
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:16 am

LONGINUS wrote: Looking forward to the dead rubber Hawaiian leg though. The Eddie is the only events with true reputation left on the calendar.
Your'e right there.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:20 am

The World Tour should 'START' in Hawaii, not finsh there - that way Pipe gets to mean something again.
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:26 am

^^^ I know what your'e saying but Pipe was a crucial event last year wasn't it?
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:46 am

Nappy wrote: Cleary this isnt about the best waves but the best market possibilties....................
Say it ain't so, Joe!
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:26 pm

LONGINUS wrote: if bong dropped Teahupoo next year and let Quiksilver take it over. Its a massive investment for a country (French Polynesia) that never has to buy wetsuits.

like they have contests at locations just to have a stall there to sell product from......................

if you don't like it don't fckn watch or buy their boardies. for every grumpy old man that writes it off like you, theres 1000 more people who will appreciate it to take your place...

adios.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:01 am

longbum wrote:
LONGINUS wrote: if bong dropped Teahupoo next year and let Quiksilver take it over. Its a massive investment for a country (French Polynesia) that never has to buy wetsuits.

like they have contests at locations just to have a stall there to sell product from......................

if you don't like it don't darn watch or buy their boardies. for every grumpy old man that writes it off like you, theres 1000 more people who will appreciate it to take your place...

adios.
The Search is about bringing boarshorts and wetsuits to new destinations. Thats why it alternates from tropical destination to cold destination every year.

I'll 'watch' when it's on a fkucking television screen and not on a jerky high school experiement web site

I stopped buying 'big three' boarshorts long ago, what are they now, $160 for flywire? holly siht, who came up with that 'breakthrough' - people actually buy that?

Can't beat a pair of black nylon footy shorts IMO

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:43 am

Do they have Rippy long sleeve vests at the seconds store Ringu?
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:41 pm

I reckon I might sponsor a contest next year.
I'm sure to clean up at my stall selling alfoil hats to all the big three conspiracy freaks on here and out there.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:30 pm

You bums just cant see that you're being set up...

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:13 am

Ringmaster wrote: You can buy Rip Curl/Quick boardies down here in Torquay for $40 a pair if you go to the 2nd's shops in the street next door to Rip Curl and Quicksilver HQ FFS :roll:

They aren't damaged......just not the latest stock. There would be countless outlets around the country where you could do the same if you've got halfa brain..................
Peninsula Surf Centre in my neck of the woods. They do a massive sale around the start of spring and you can clean up as heaps of gear is so cheap. The Balin warehouse down in Rosebud also does one similar, gotten board bags, leg ropes etc... really, really cheap over the years.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:28 pm

LONGINUS wrote:

The Search is about bringing boarshorts and wetsuits to new destinations. Thats why it alternates from tropical destination to cold destination every year.

This is true and spot on no matter how you look at it.

I just think they should take it to more out there spots. I mean comon this event was meant to be about surfing secret spots/hardley surfed waves not much of that going on. Maybe if they gave the event a one month floating waited periiod and the surfers were called in the week it looks like there is swell it could work.

We need at least one dam event with decent waves besides pipe. (This year has been pretty bad so far, dont give me that xrap about one day at Jbay aint enough for me.)

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:52 pm

LONGINUS wrote:

you have no frign clue !

how about the search is about taking an event somewhere a bit different than the usual and obvious places you idiot.

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:53 pm

Nappy wrote:
LONGINUS wrote:

I just think they should take it to more out there spots. I mean comon this event was meant to be about surfing secret spots/hardley surfed waves not much of that going on. Maybe if they gave the event a one month floating waited periiod and the surfers were called in the week it looks like there is swell it could work.

We need at least one dam event with decent waves besides pipe. (This year has been pretty bad so far, dont give me that xrap about one day at Jbay aint enough for me.)
your an idiot too.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:01 pm

longbum wrote:
Nappy wrote:
LONGINUS wrote:

your an idiot too.
:P

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:05 pm

longbum wrote:
LONGINUS wrote:

you have no frign clue !

how about the search is about taking an event somewhere a bit different than the usual and obvious places you idiot.
Open your mind Quade....open your mind