how do you rate your state Surfing Australia branch?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

how do you rate your state Surfing Australia branch?

Post by dUg » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:57 am

What's your opinion of your state Surfing Australia branch, e.g. Surfing (insert your state here)? If you're invovled, or know people who are, what do you see as the main aim, or mission? Is this a clearly defined thing or more a "statement of intent"?

I certainly know there are a lot of people who put in a lot of hours that they're mostly not paid for, are you one of them"? What is your motivation? What's in it for you (them?)? Conversely, if you're not one of them, what do you think of people that are so generous with their time for "the betterment of surfing"? Do you think our success on the international scene rests to a large extent on their shoulders? Or is it more down to freakish individual ability, or boardriding clubs who have a tradition of producing brilliant surfers?

If you're a recreational surfer, what do you make of all the surf clinics and comp scene? What about guys in boardriding clubs that have little or no affiliation? What do you think of surfers that have risen through the ranks and gotten onto the 'CT or 'QS independantly, i.e. without doing all the coaching, as opposed to ones that have attended all the training camps and gotten "in" with the organisation?

Does your state branch have direct relevance to you ( i.e. maybe you have groms working on their skills and advancing through competetive ranks ), or do you see Surfing (insert your state here) as an entity you have no affinity with or interest in? If you are involved, is the vast body of recreational surfers invisible, irrelavant, or unimportant in the overall scheme of things? Is the main focus on competition? Is that "bettering" surfing more than, say, lobbying on any number of issues effecting the wider surfing population... e.g. surfing parks, artificial reefs, etc.? Is that best left to other bodies like Surfrider Foundation?

In SA, I have always found our branch to be a little... well... insular if I am being kind. I would have thought this counterproductive... but I am, of course, voicing a personal opinion. Has anyone else noted similar?

I'd be interested to see a few points lobbed from each side of the fence... involved interested... vs. not involved, not interested.

Thanks.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: how do you rate your state Surfing Australia branch?

Post by alakaboo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:42 pm

dug, I'm one of the vast group of recreational surfers for whom Surfing NSW (in my case) has absolutely no relevance.
The only time I notice them is when a comp monopolises the only bank that isn't in the flags of a weekend, or when a new surfing reserve is announced.
On the latter, I assume that some serious work has gone into it, and I commend that.

I don't see any affinity with Surfing NSW, and I can't really see that changing.
Whilst I'm interested enough in competitive surfing to watch a few of the better 'heats on demand' of the WCT (is it still called the WCT?) events after reading comments on here to find out the best ones, and I'll generally read what Steve and Nick have to say, I am mainly of the view that competition and surfing are better kept separate.

I've been working in coastal management and policy for 5 years or so now, and at no point have Surfing Australia been mentioned as relevant stakeholders, whereas Surfrider and local boardriding clubs are, as well as SLSA and to some extent the surf forecast websites. In my case that has a little to do with individuals, rather than the organisations. I've no experience with working with SA, and couldn't name anyone in the organisation, so it's not a negative comment towards them, more a positive comment towards the others.

so, in summary:
not involved
not interested in being part of the group, but interested in why it doesn't have more of a voice, or active role in lobbying, activism etc. I think that lobbying is actually better suited to Surfrider, I'm just interested in why they aren't often considered.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:46 pm

dUg wrote:If you're a recreational surfer, what do you make of all the surf clinics and comp scene? What about guys in boardriding clubs that have little or no affiliation? What do you think of surfers that have risen through the ranks and gotten onto the 'CT or 'QS independantly, i.e. without doing all the coaching, as opposed to ones that have attended all the training camps and gotten "in" with the organisation?
I have a mate who has been on the QS for quite a few years now. He did the australian junior circuit, got into the junior world champs at narra and lost out in the fourth round. First few years he was in the QS top 50, got to top 20 at one point, has won a few 4 star QS events and came 2nd at a 6-star prime event. But when his sponsor folded and dropped their entire team he did an attenuated version of the tour while trying to find a sponsor... Recently he found a sponsor, he's back travelling, and they won the surf tag last year, and he got a cover of one of the big aussie mags so things are looking up.

Would he have been better off if he was part of the machine? Probably. I'm sure they help with sponsors and support and stuff, but I get the feeling it is very cliquey and if your not a surfing blue blood or in the quikripabong stable then it's a lot more difficult to get in.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:55 pm

Thanks guys.

The opinion I am forming based on the overwhelming indifference to this thread, is that there's a large indifference to state Surfing Australia branches unless you one of a small elite group.

OK a hypothetical here... imagine you are senior in running your state branch and you have say, a surf school, or a kid trying to crack the tour. Vested interest or not?

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:12 pm

I'm with Dave. As far as I can see, Surfing Australia totally has no bearing on me or my surfing.

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:24 am

This straight off the Surfing Australia website:

Our Vision
To become a mainstream commercially sustainable sport, and to promote surfing as an iconic Australian lifestyle.

Our Mission
We will grow Surfing’s position and profile through successful working relationships with stakeholders; innovative thinking; the performance of Australian athletes; and a dynamic management team delivering world’s best surfing programs.

Our Core Values
We will:
a. Be open, ethical and accountable in all that we do
b. Proactively operate as a leader in the Australian and global Surfing community
c. Be aware of, respect and be responsive to stakeholder needs
d. Enjoy and have pride in our work
e. Actively embrace change

As a surfer that is one of the 99.9% that the body represents, do you see any of those "core values" as relevant to you in any way?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:37 am

dUg wrote:OK a hypothetical here... imagine you are senior in running your state branch and you have say, a surf school, or a kid trying to crack the tour. Vested interest or not?
Honestly, I reckon a large proportion of people in sports admin are only there because they're either reliving their glory days, or they want to help their kids through the system.
I've had some very minor involvement in coaching and club management (waterpolo, soccer, kayaking and windsurfing) at the recreational to sub-elite level, and it's a pretty thankless job, with not too many people willing to help out.

Dug, you've obviously got a bee in your bonnet, I assume you have form of personal interest yourself. Step up, reform from the inside.

And in answer to the most recent post, I don't reckon they do represent me, so I'm not too fussed. If they did start to take a more active role in things I cared about, then I might be more interested. And I don't reckong they'd care about me. They mention stakeholders, but it's pretty easy to define them as you see fit, and to justify what you already do.

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:28 pm

alakaboo wrote:Dug, you've obviously got a bee in your bonnet, I assume you have form of personal interest yourself. Step up, reform from the inside.
... and here I was labouring under the assumption I was absolutely opaque ;)

As it happens... no personal interest. I have had occasional dealings with our state branch over the years and have found them... well... a bit weird if I am being honest. They come across a bit like good looking, but oddly standoffish pentacostal religious youth group kids. I am trying to get my head around the whole thing... but also trying to establish if we're different here... or other people in other states have had similar experiences ( and no... I'm not going to detail any "experiences".. good or bad... here ).

I've had dealings with other amatuer and pro sporting bodies (running, cycling, surf lifesaving, BMX and moto-x) over the years and it's pretty clear what they're about. I can see how more cyclists, or more rally drivers, or more tennis players are good for those sports and the industries that surround them. There are numerous examples of instances where those (non-profit) bodies used sponsorship or grant money to put in or upgrade infrastructure, improve safety, lobby to change laws etc. etc which in turn benefits the larger proportion of participants in those sports.