Australia vs. USA Culture

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trilobite

Australia vs. USA Culture

Post by Trilobite » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm

Barlo just posted up a piece comparing observations on Aussie vs. US culture.

http://www.theinertia.com/travel/austra ... 428-words/

Aside from the fact that you guys have much better waves....Thoughts?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Re: Australia vs. USA Culture

Post by oldman » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:19 pm

Strange people those americans. I don't get them at all. I don't dislike them, and as individuals they are really nice, with very many hugely intelligent people, but as a collective they are barking hooting rooting mad, and stupid enough to make Homer Simpson look like a genius.

Their politics is beyond the pale.

Their fundamental lack of knowledge, or even awareness, of cultures or countries outside their own borders, is comical.

They may be as different from aussies as any culture on the planet.

As someone once remarked, and I paraphrase because I can't remember who, 'Australia was built on transported convicts (with apologies to the indigenous! :? ) while america was built on the oppressed religious.'

We got much the better of the deal.'

But I accept the possibility that it may be us aussies who are the strange ones. Either way, it doesn't matter, I'd rather be here. We are only half barking mad. :mrgreen:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:41 pm

i see oz as trying be a copy of the usa

so in line that reasoning

i admire yank culture for being orginal rather than our copying

i mean really...the only thing cultured in oz is the yogurt :roll:

the only "real"culture was all but destroyed 200 odd years ago

since than it's a case who we copy next :!:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:29 am

don't anybody say anything about their cheese or its on again.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:50 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:i see oz as trying be a copy of the usa

so in line that reasoning

i admire yank culture for being orginal rather than our copying

i mean really...the only thing cultured in oz is the yogurt :roll:

the only "real"culture was all but destroyed 200 odd years ago

since than it's a case who we copy next :!:
As much as it pains me to say, I agree ... Especially when you've lived a little overseas and been around other cultures. It becomes really painfully obvious that we have none whatsoever.

Unless you count binge drinking and making a cnut of yourself as a culture :!: :?: :!:
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:01 pm

Complete and utter BS.

This kind of kowtowing cultural cringe just reveals an ignorance of Aus reality.

In the fields of arts, sports, science and many other things Aus is leading the world.
This ain't blind nationalism either.

So many people equate "culture" with the dead and dessicated remains of history found in Europe for example.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:34 pm

I find it hard to believe you spent any time in Tahiti, and could come back here boasting about Australia's culture?

Where is family here?
Respect?
Morals & Values?

name one family tradition that has been passed down to you, that you will in turn pass onto your kids.

You talk about industry fields where we lead the world. It hardly quantifies as society culture imho.

Sport? Really? Not that sport even qualifies as culture, unless of course we are talking about the world game, where it's a religion in most of the world.

Cricket is dead, and regardless, we're not the world leader any more.
Rugby League? Four other countries play the game, big deal. AFL? FFS that's not even a game.

where do we lead the world in sport? Motor GP? Superbikes? Surfing? We haven't mattered like the U.S ever since the tour went into serious waves. Kelly and AI have owned the tour. USA are still streets ahead of us in swimming ... Our athletes are flipping the bird every time they lose in India. Real classy and cultural there Shearer.

If we abandoned AFL and set all these guys into the World Game, we might one day arrive at a point of cultural significance with sport, until then we'll play our own sad game of afl, get drunk, rape women and act like cnuts whenever we can.

I still cannot believe you lived among Tahitians and did not gain the slightest cultural perspective to what Australia really is.

*picks up jaw*
Kunji wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:58 pm

Albert Namatjira.
Randolph Stow.
Patrick White.
Burnham Burnham.
Russel Drysdale.
Barry Marshall.
Bob McTavish.
Chris Brock

Might be a good place to start your thinking.
Aussie culture is the relationship to the Oldest continent on Earth.
It's pretty easy to find.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:40 pm

What happened to the scone as a legitimate choice? Is that dead?
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:51 pm

steve shearer wrote:Albert Namatjira.
Randolph Stow.
Patrick White.
Burnham Burnham.
Russel Drysdale.
Barry Marshall.
Bob McTavish.
Chris Brock

Might be a good place to start your thinking.
Aussie culture is the relationship to the Oldest continent on Earth.
It's pretty easy to find.
You can name 8 people out of 23 million. Fantastic.

And while Indigenous people - the oldest tribe on the face of the planet - are being ill treated by government agencies and governments alike, and living the way they are in parts of Australia ... Be careful when you mention a respected one like Albert in a sentence about Australian Culture. I know places in Australia where they'll sever your nutsack with a roo bone or stick for the mere suggestion.

It would seem the indigenous don't share your enthusiasm to be a part of white fella custom & culture.
Kunji wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:58 pm

I hit submit before I was finished. :oops:

And even so, 8 authors, artists/ board shapers are hardly the foundation for a culture of a nation to be built on.

Maybe we have different definitions of what is culture?
Anthropology . the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another. the behaviours and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group:
Kunji wrote:

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:13 pm

Braithy, you need to pull your head in. there are at least four more one could easily add to shearer's list: Crocodile Dundee, Dame Edna, Keith urban, Toby Abbottom. legends.
not to mention Olivia Newton-John, AC-DC, Joan sutherland.

Corey Delaney.

dino.

Martin Bryant.
Last edited by offshore1 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:16 pm

Well possum, even an idiot couldn't argue against Dame Edna.
Kunji wrote:

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:24 pm

And AC/DC took off from Australia as soon as they could.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:39 pm

Braithy, you seem to be assuming that adhering to tradition is indicative of greater strength of culture.
if that's the definition of culture you want to go with, then I'd happily be part of a 'less cultured' group. I'd much rather be part of a dynamic, rapidly evolving, multicultural society than one which is predominantly reliant upon traditions.

Traditional cultures can often be associated with lower tolerance of non-traditional behaviour.

In Tonga I saw a grommet turned away from a surgery because he happened to split his head open on a Sunday. Fair enough, he knew the religious context and chose to surf anyway, but he was refused treatment because of an adopted Christian practice not the polynesian traditions.
Was this right? Is this an example of a strong culture?

Japanese culture would be considered fairly traditional, and is highly racist towards foreigners, at the linguistic level as well as the societal and legal. I was regularly referenced with the pronoun 'teme', which literally translates as 'you son of a bitch' or similar. when i called people out on it, they said it was an accepted way to reference foreigners who don't speak good japanese. I don't know from first hand experience, but I'm told that Chinese is the same.

Swedish culture is quite traditional. Viking translates as "we kings", and implies a sense of superiority. There's a strong cultural pressure to conform and not stand out from the crowd, which extends to clothing, cars etc.

For what it's worth, from my time in the southern coastal California, one of the main feelings I got was the sense of entitlement, and expectation that life should be easy. I felt more kinship with the mountain people of Oregon.
Braithy wrote:name one family tradition that has been passed down to you, that you will in turn pass onto your kids.
a general respect for nature and knowledge, appreciation of diversity, the need to do my best in every aspect of life, and to provide assistance to others whenever possible.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:55 pm

alakaboo wrote: In Tonga I saw a grommet turned away from a surgery because he happened to split his head open on a Sunday. Fair enough, he knew the religious context and chose to surf anyway, but he was refused treatment because of an adopted Christian practice not the polynesian traditions.

Was this right? Is this an example of a strong culture?
Sounds to me like a great example of what happens when you have a strong culture and sway from it or compromise it in any way. In Australia we have no strong traditions or culture to sway from in the first place. Which is my entire point.
alakaboo wrote:I'd much rather be part of a dynamic, rapidly evolving, multicultural society
dynamic? multicultural? rapidly evolving?

Oh boy. The Cronulla race riots probably epitomise everything wrong with this new dynamic society you speak of. imo ... We, Australia, are rapidly evolving alright. Rapidly evolving into a bunch of whiny, self serving racists with little idea of respect for anything or anyone.

At the start of the year I was in the states on a baseball tour. There are strong notions among the Americans I talked with, that Australia is a racist, backward country. I could argue the backwards bit, and I did quite successfully. But the racist bit. I had no answer for.
Kunji wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:01 pm

Ringmaster wrote:
Braithy wrote:

Mate....one of the great things about Australia is that it's a democracy and there's an international airport in almost every capital city. This means you're free bail permanently anytime you want if the 'lack of culture' is bringing you down.

Living in another country as opposed to just visiting......... or learning about it on the Nat Geo channel........... might change your mind on the romantic notion of 'culture' in a lot of places.
Why don't you go and get fcuked. Or better yet, try and make me leave? I'm happy where I am. I've lived OS, been to many a continent. I don't need national geo to open my mind or eyes, there are plenty of places way more fcuked than Oz.

While we're stereotyping, you're probably one of those wankers with the southern cross stickered or tattooed somewhere. You go to the cricket, get loaded with liquid courage - because its the only courage you possess - and shout Oi Oi Oi and throw shit at the Indians in the crowd.

Democracy you say? I just exercised my democratic right by having my opinion. :wink:
Kunji wrote:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:14 pm

Braithy wrote:The Cronulla race riots probably epitomise everything wrong with this new dynamic society you speak of. imo ...
how the f#$k did you take what I wrote, and link it to support for race riots? or racism of any kind?
the riots, as far as i understand, were in fact the complete opposite of what i suggested. generated out of some twisted desire to maintain a tainted cultural status quo, and driven by alcohol-fuelled insensitivity and stupidity.