Great Coastal Walks

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Rude_Beef
regular

Great Coastal Walks

Post by Rude_Beef » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:31 pm

I like surfing (duh!) and I also like bush walks.

So why not combine the two with a solid walk along a nice coastal track, maybe a few waves along the way. Just saw a nice little setup on 'getaway' but pffft it's only 7k. What about something a little longer, with maybe a spot of camping in the mix?

Any suggestions for an area/track suitable?

I was thinking back beaches near Agnes water might be a bit of fun.

Beerfan

Re: Great Coastal Walks

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:51 pm

Walk from boneyard around the headland cliff face just into the quarry for some rock fishing. Make sure you're wearing dark undies, coz you'll f&cking shit your pants when the wind comes up. It's fitting there's a shit works there, or was if its not still there.

Not much fish there either

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:39 am

Rude_Beef wrote:I like surfing (duh!) and I also like bush walks.

So why not combine the two with a solid walk along a nice coastal track, maybe a few waves along the way. Just saw a nice little setup on 'getaway' but pffft it's only 7k. What about something a little longer, with maybe a spot of camping in the mix?

Any suggestions for an area/track suitable?

I was thinking back beaches near Agnes water might be a bit of fun.
There are "back" beaches north and south of Agnes but access is from the main road then 4WD. They're hardly what you'd call "coastal" so you'd probably be legging it along the beach itself and a long way inland to go north (river) with plenty of bush bashing to keep you happy.
You wouldn't be able to carry your SUP though. :lol: :oops:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:19 am

Beerfan wrote:Walk from boneyard around the headland cliff face just into the quarry for some rock fishing. Make sure you're wearing dark undies, coz you'll f&cking shit your pants when the wind comes up. It's fitting there's a shit works there, or was if its not still there.
Nahh it's still there and churning. There are also some other good waves around the headland if you willing to explore past what you will find on wannasurf/longinus' disaster. Also fun fact, the power ranger movie was filmed in the quarry, and I got to meet the pink one (who I was in love with at the time). There is also a nice walk around the next headland north with some good views of the river and mystics.

Another good one to check out is dobroyd head. If you can find it, there is a hidden track where you can go down to the old cabins at crater cove, very, very beautiful piece of secret sydney.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:52 am

Cape to Cape Walk (Margaret River WA)
South Coast Track (Tas)
Coast Track (Royal National Park NSW)
Wilderness Coast (Eden NSW to Mallacoota Vic)
Great Ocean Walk (Vic)
Yuragir NP (NSW)

No shortage of wilderness bushwalking surfing options out there

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:04 pm

barstardos wrote:...
South Coast Track (Tas)
you'd have to be a hard bastard of the highest order to drag a board and suitable wetty with you along the south coast track.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:32 pm

Early 90's, living in Southport, Tas, I used to walk into South Cape Bay numerous times with a few local surfers. 1 1/2 hr walk from Cockle Creek. Easy peasy. Mostly scored great quality left off Lion Rock - right in the pic.

On this particular day I set out for a walk in with girlfriend (in foreground)

I deliberated about taking the board, wind a bit fresh...umed and ahhhed... she said "you should, you might regret it" and I did. I didn't regret it. Perfect 4-6 ft A-frames greeted us. Not another soul around but us. And I proposed on the way back. :wink:
IMG_0629.jpg
IMG_0629.jpg (29.34 KiB) Viewed 5311 times
(PS, I've posted a pic of Dobroyd bommie in pretty good shape in the Pics thread)

Oh, and the Bronte to Bondi walk is pretty good too. Loads of good waves and empty most days.You can camp on the rocks near Icebergs and get dinner in the resaurant :lol:

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:29 pm

Believe it or not (See fat bat photos), I actually surfed dobroyd a few weeks ago. Pretty solid place, very cool to have something like that so close to the city.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:33 pm

Walk 2 hours south of angourie when Angourie is 3ft from the SE ... Good things will happen.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:34 pm

Walk half an hour north west from Double Island in a cyclone swell with any wind with E in it. Very good things will happen
Kunji wrote:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:40 pm

walkin shits me

like....ffs...save up - buy a bike

anyone know any decent trail rides

i miss my pony :cry:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:56 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:walkin shits me

like....ffs...save up - buy a bike

anyone know any decent trail rides

i miss my pony :cry:
Noosa Northshore. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:00 pm

Braithy wrote:Walk half an hour north west from Double Island in a cyclone swell with any wind with E in it. Very good things will happen
North west would put you in the middle of the bay, well out to sea from Rainbow Beach and you'd need a long snorkel to walk there. :shock:
Beanpole

Skipper

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:04 pm

TMC, you walked in or by boat.?

I've only seen it by boat. This shot from a year or so ago.
didn't see it last big south swell.
Only seen guys out once. On a Sunday a couple of years ago.
Had a charter to Balmoral and after i dropped off went over to see them on it.
Later that night, round midnight, went over in different boat, different job and watched it peel off. Found half a board drifting nearby. :shock: :!:

Anything like this when you went out?
dobroyd bommie.jpg

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:13 pm

Walked down through the bush and went out from where the shacks are. Looked pretty much exactly like that. I had never even heard of it before and a few friends wanted to check it out. Unfortunately I was expecting to surf queensie so I only had a 5'10 catfish, which made getting into them a little difficult...

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:18 pm

Nice. I'll do the walk one day. Those shacks are somink else.
Tourists and locals alike are blown away when i take em round to view.
Remnants of Depression era. What a spot to get away from it all? And so fecken close to metropolis!!

One of these days, i'll stash my board on board and sneak a quicky out there if conditions are fave.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:48 am

TrevG wrote:
Braithy wrote:Walk half an hour north west from Double Island in a cyclone swell with any wind with E in it. Very good things will happen
North west would put you in the middle of the bay, well out to sea from Rainbow Beach and you'd need a long snorkel to walk there. :shock:
I meant do the headland walk. Around the lighthouse down through flat rock and out the back of rainbow. It's a nice little walk.
Kunji wrote:

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:15 pm

Beerfan wrote:Walk from boneyard around the headland cliff face just into the quarry for some rock fishing. Make sure you're wearing dark undies, coz you'll f&cking shit your pants when the wind comes up. It's fitting there's a shit works there, or was if its not still there.

Not much fish there either
ive fished there quite a bit
seen a 4wd commercial filmed there.
quite an eerie place
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"