Online Surfshops

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

swift
regular

Online Surfshops

Post by swift » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:37 pm

I know it's not the most patriotic thing to do, and believe me I am fairly concious of spending my hard earned in Australia and on Australian products................but with the AUS$ being so bloody good at the moment I may as well take advantage of it and buy a brand new wetty from an OS website that will only cost me say $300 as apposed to $550!!!!

My question is does anyone out there in Realsurf land have any reputable sights from the US that they can recommend?

FishStick
Local

Re: Online Surfshops

Post by FishStick » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:46 pm

I've got the latest models, Rip Curl e-bomb (CZ with aquaban) and O'Neill Psycho2 bought here in Aussie stores for around $350.

You just got to give the sales guy a hard time, do your research and hit them with a competitive quote from somewhere else. I reckon they mark the suits up far too much cause if they'll sell them to me for $350 they must still be making a profit.....
The wave at Curl Curl is so good they had to name it twice :mrgreen:

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:08 pm

FishStick wrote:I've got the latest models, Rip Curl e-bomb (CZ with aquaban) and O'Neill Psycho2 bought here in Aussie stores for around $350.

You just got to give the sales guy a hard time, do your research and hit them with a competitive quote from somewhere else. I reckon they mark the suits up far too much cause if they'll sell them to me for $350 they must still be making a profit.....
The RRP and margin on normal surf retail store items like wetties, fins, leashes, deck grip and clothes is pretty much the same ( chain stores get a slightly better wholesale price because they deal through buyers ) across the board. Some stores will do mate's rates, but reps for major brands have been known to get narky over overt discounting. Accounts have been pulled over it... even though that's against section 48 of the Trade Practices Act. Billabong and Rip Curl *seem* to be the most heavy handed with this, but dishonorable mention should also go to O'Neil's former SA reps :evil: . Might be different in the eastern states but that's certainly the way it's been here.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:32 pm

Yep, play hardball or try and get to know the surfstore.

Last 12months I got a quik3/2 chestzip cypher steamer for a bit under 400,and an oneill psycho2 2/3 for 340.

Often last years models get sold to shops cheaper. Go local, ya get a warranty (I've already used my quikky warranty) and it's good for the soul.