Best way to get a board from Hawaii to Sydney?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

offshore1
Duke Status

Re: Best way to get a board from Hawaii to Sydney?

Post by offshore1 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:20 pm

^^^ not half as much as what wooly's old cheese has to close her eyes and bear.... :mrgreen:
g'night mate, it's after midnight on this side of the world and my missus beckons...

or is that snoring i hear :|
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:32 pm

offshore1 wrote:^^^ not half as much as what wooly's old cheese has to close her eyes and bear.... :mrgreen:
g'night mate, it's after midnight on this side of the world and my missus beckons...

or is that snoring i hear :|
You hope it's snoring and not the fiery curry consumed earlier.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:41 pm

steve shearer wrote:I'd be up for that Roy, if the NS thing were to happen.

I'd love to have a go on the FP13.

How do the airlines go with the length?
Hi Steve,

The airlines are fine with the length, they just went by volume.

I'm not sure what it will cost exactly, it's less when travelling with a person isn't it ?

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:50 pm

Dae wrote:
I would throw some money into the hat to get Steve over there and give it a go at Sunset. If Steve can get it back to Aus somehow - well Chuckles has given the ok to leave it with him for a year. I guess he wants it back eventually - it's up to him whether he would ok it to be passed from hand-to-hand to get it a bit of publicity. That may be the best way for it to be actually tested in a variety of conditions by a variety of surfers that will have nothing to do with its creator. It's then open to the mercy of unbiased reviews. Whether Roy could stand that or not is his call.
Yes that's what the board was built for.

The only advice I have is to ride the board from the middle including when taking off, not back on the tail and/or on the nose like a mal, and it responds well to a narrow stance.

Oh and the bottom should be clean as a whistle and sanded fore and aft with 400/600 grit.

There is a leash plug, use leash at own risk, preferably only in small waves :shock:

Good comments can be written on the board bag, bad ones expressed elsewhere.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:28 am

Dae wrote:Oh, and I don't have a Facebook page so can't access that link unfortunately. Are there alternate sites at all? I'll join back up for a look if not.

Here's what we've been up to so far this semester, dae: http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/drifter/drift ... 010_1.html

We deploy these 'drifters' then monitor their progress off our coast by satellite.

here's an animated link: http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/epd/ocean/Mai ... 330761.htm

if you look closely, you can see rob machado..

what, you thinking of sending roy's board back by ocean current??
marauding mullet wrote:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:29 am

dinosaur wrote:Your ocean research buoy is probably just you floating around the grand banks on a boogie board with a torch and an accomodator strapped to your head, yelling ping, every 20 seconds.
that's fuggen funny.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:04 am

dinosaur wrote:Your ocean research buoy is probably just you floating around the grand banks on a boogie board with a torch and an accomodator strapped to your head, yelling ping, every 20 seconds.
:lol:

Gold
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:25 am

Apparently this topic was the target of some mirth among the cognoscenti (cough) of another surf forum where Laz was giving them hell.

They couldn't understand the banter.

We oz realsurf folk must remember to only do slapstick gags when there is the possibility that americans are reading.

Their inability to comprehend satire, irony, sardonic humour, laconic styles etc renders all our mutterings as meaningless gibber to them.

Slapstick only good fellows. Any joke that hasn't been lined up and telegraphed months in advance just doesn't get though.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:14 pm

Thanks a lot you douche. I had a somewhat embarrassing response to that, which involved me simultaneously laughing and spluttering water all over my desk. No about 30 law students keep cautiously looking at me out of the corner of their eyes to see if my abnormal behaviour is going to escalate into some sort of full blown psychotic episode.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:36 pm

you couldn't be more wrong, audiosaurus.
We could never get the funding for such high tech luxuries.

I'll check on the facebook set up but that's not really my gig, and the woman who set it up is out at sea this week. and, yes, i lent her the departartment's only accomdodragonator..

and, as for the music comp, hell, why don't cha just give away the cd's, ya bribing old cnut.. even that broad, Dame joan, keeled over after getting a load of your latest shameless shenanigans..
marauding mullet wrote:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:14 pm

offshore, what's your local beach?

got any good references for the wave climate of the east coast of the US?

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:30 pm

alakaboo wrote:offshore, what's your local beach?

got any good references for the wave climate of the east coast of the US?

hey kaboo, I'm SE North Carolina, Wrightsville Beach mostly, but there are heaps of other barrier islands, and inlets, some facing north some facing south, to keep things varied and interesting. You may have heard of Benny Bourgeois, who grew up here.

As for references for 'wave climate' (?) not sure what you mean but NC, Fla., and New Jersey are the best places to start ... of course, it's too true that there is an overall mediocre surf potential along the entire east coast because most weather patterns move from west to east, sending energy away from us and over to Portugal et al...
The hurricane swells have been pretty good to us this year, however.
marauding mullet wrote:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:45 pm

i meant, average swell size, orientation.I'm not looking for surf, it's actually a work related question.
I'm reading about the effectiveness of beach nourishment programs, and NC is a hotspot. I'm trying to understand why the nourishment in NC doesn't work, but it does in Florida, and parts of California.

I know I could probably get it from NOAA easily, I'm just lazy, and it seems to be your field.

i might have seen pics of Benny in a recent hurricane swell, apart from that I wouldn't know him.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:50 pm

if u can somehow commit a crime in oz that has links too the board than when it goes court the cops will fly it back free :idea:

p.s my plans better anyone elses plan...nanaaaaa :!:

p.p.s thu getting someone bring it back for u does have legs i guess :oops:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:55 pm

I wasn't aware it was working in Fla. and California.
Winter storms, nor'easters, take their toll; and rising sea levels I reckon.
We have to have periodic renourishing because the sand just gets washed away in a few years, back out to sea.
Check out Orin Pilkey, a marine geologist at Duke University, he's spent his entire professional life studying this problem..

fong, maybe you could somehow link it to the impending murder and robbery of ringmaster.
marauding mullet wrote:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:08 pm

well, working in a relative sense. :)
sand's never going to stay in a place that it was previously disappearing from, without some sort of change in the underlying processes. the sand still disappears, just not as fast.

I know Orrin's work, though in terms of nourishment he probalby isn't the most unbiased source. He's a cranky old codger.
have to agree with him on most points though, putting sand on retreating barrier islands isn't the best idea.

Cheers anyway.