Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:02 pm

well some are better made than others.

Try kneeling, weighting back and steering off the fin rather than the handles. That's what you're doing anyway (steering off the fin), just by proxy through the handles, so why not cut out the middleman.

slowy
regular

Post by slowy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Kracka are located at Redhead (15 mins Nth of Swansea) on Kalaroo Road ;)

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed May 22, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:59 pm

'cause the tails of the boards are a bit wider these days and they spread the pads out to get 'em on to the rails.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed May 22, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Nick, did Parko and Slater get ripped off in their heats at Bells?

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:26 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:And there's plenty of it.

I think in surf writing, "worst" is a genre thing and the worst surf books are usually the ones who try to elevate surfing to some ghastly New Age sub-yoga pseudo-religious heights, full of Spirit Lessons and so forth. Their authors are so keen on finding some sort of spiritually clean platform on which to base their hippe dippie bullshit that they ignore pretty much everything about surfing
You once wrote in Surfing World that Hippy Surfers are dangerous when cornered.. just saying.

:-o

A candidate for worst surfing book might be the one by Tom Wolfe, I can't remember what it is called.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:30 pm

Anyway here's a question: did you get any sessions in while at Bells?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:47 pm

He did. And he was gutted Mick beat him out into the lineup before dark. He thought he'd be the first one out.

:lol:
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:49 pm

Yeah.

I surfed 13th beach, clean, a little right hand sandbar to shorie bank, rode a fat Webber 5'8" round pin, it felt a bit clumsy, you could only really turn it off the back 2' of rail, anything forward of that the board just said Nahh. Had three surfs over six hours or so.

Then a really super fun beachie down past Anglesea, a rip pushing a right sandbar out at an angle with a left rip bowl off the other side, about 3' with some bigger sets and you could get barrelled on the right and smash the left. On one of my awesome MCs, a 5'9" pintail. V clean water, quite a few surfers on and off, a couple of surfs over about four hours.

Did some training with the Torquay SLSC under 19 racing squad, that was fun, they are not nearly as quick as my squad at Newport but they have a similar effervescent enjoyment of the water and a lot of vigour, their coach is a hard core surfer who goes down to Two Mile when it's good as do a couple of the girls in his squad which is pretty cool.

Surfed fantastic Winkipop the arvo of the girls' day, it was a solid six foot and clean as, on a 5'10" MC super concave round pintail, a very fast lifty board, after about 90 minutes out there I came in and ran up to Bells, watched Carissa and Lakey rip the fcuken bag out of it, then went out there and Bells was better than Winki, like wayyyyy better, six to eight foot and rideable off the back of Rincon all the way through the Bowl, madness, only about 15 guys out.

Next morning super early, a dark launch off Rincon, big and a bit clumsy, maybe 10' on sets, rode a 6'6" MC with moderated concave and a slight v behind the back fin, had a number of excellent surfs on this board at smallish Sunset and in Syd cyclone swells, it was fine out there on that morning.

Next early morning was the one Fanning beat me out, it was sooooooo perfect, about 4-5' and throttling all the way down the reef, I got a barrel through the Bowl! freak wave. Again on the 5'10".

Shoulda got up early again on finals day but was tired after surfing early and working several days plus some 3.30am nights courtesy of the appalling night time behaviour of the Surfing Life staff, Fcuk! Last night among other things Raoni Monteiro flopped his dick out on the house BBQ

anyway yeah, had some good surfs, I love Bells when it's good, it's sort of in my surfing DNA so I understand the lines you draw out there and really enjoy 'em. despite the lack of barrels.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:58 pm

Davros wrote:Nick, did Parko and Slater get ripped off in their heats at Bells?
I don't think either could be described as a ripoff. KS definitely lost his heat despite being underscored on his good barrel to combo turn ride. Parko was burned a bit by the panel thanks to them going a bit too high on Raoni's first ride and thus trapping themselves in a scoring corner in a heat; his 10 was a point and a half better than Raoni's 9.57 but the panel had nowhere to go having already awarded the 9.57, like they can't throw an 11. I think the score on his barrel wave was fair though. And Raoni played his hand superbly. You can read a deeper analysis on ASL and Surfline.com

The panel threw way too many big scores at Bells IMO. A 10 should be almost a once in a career score, not something you see at every event.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:01 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Yeah.

I surfed 13th beach...
Shut yer fcking pie hole Carroll!

Nothing to see here! Torquay is just over there. Off you go...

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:04 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed May 22, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:09 am

Talking about A' Chin's local is one thing,
Animal_Chin wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:Yeah.

I surfed 13th beach...
Shut yer darn pie hole Carroll!

Nothing to see here! Torquay is just over there. Off you go...
but this is something else
Nick Carroll wrote: coach is a hard core surfer who goes down to Two Mile when it's good as do a couple of the girls in his squad which is pretty cool.
The locals are particularly sensitive about the place. Always had me fcuked why. Everyone knows where it is. A photographer from the local paper went down there a few years ago and was threatened. From what might've just been a few words and photo, it ended up a pretty big story that had traction for quite a while
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:36 am

Legion wrote:Who was the guy who refused the drug test and got a bit aggro?
huh?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:22 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed May 22, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:01 am

it is indeed an april fool's day joke

and since it was a Surfer magazine joke, it wasn't even slightly funny. Surfer only does Ponderous.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:05 am

by the way. how fcuken dumb are those forums

it's like reading a discussion between three year olds who've accidentally learned how to type.