Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:31 am

fongss wrote: p.s nick.....how do remove.unwanted body hair :?:

I've been getting fongette shave my back with the dog clippers but the novelty seems worn off for her :oops: of late
I feel it is a man's burden to suffer his unwanted body hair with some dignity.

It's a pissy little burden compared to the 35 years of menstruation our silently heroic female counterparts have to endure.

I bet fongette never got you to insert a sanitary napkin :d do not torment her with the clippery.

Get the kids to do it if you must -- they owe you, damn it all

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:09 am

something weird happened, purple pyramids posted something and it vanished.

PP wrote this: olds got me thinking, and i have a few questions for you nick...
nick, do you think we should measure value in terms of production? like an old vulgar marxist?
do you think we already have enough stuff? i have seen the council pick-up days on the northern beaches and it looks to me that we have way too much stuff already -- people keep throwing out perfectly good things that still work.

I answered him: Nahh, I think the world's a bit more sophisticated than that these days pp. There's value in information, in ideas, in opportunity, in movement of goods and people, in all sorts of things beyond production alone.

In any case I don't like the "we" in that question. It's the one thing I always thought was suss in the communist manifesto. Who is "we"? The "we" of some government agency? The "we" of boardrooms and shareholders? Urrggghh. I'd rather trust the general ebb and flow of humanity and the cumulative, somewhat untrammelled, hopefully well-informed energies of their choices. But then again, unlike olds, I have a sort of essential optimism about shit.

I'm not sure about the "we" in the second q either. How do you measure too much stuff? I've got too many fcuken surfboards, at least by most people's judgement, but it doesn't seem to me like I have too many; indeed it feels as if I have merely an elegant sufficiency. I don't chuck any out in the council cleanup that's for sure.

Like any of us I could go back to living with a lot less, in the manner of people, say pre-WW2, but why? I reckon people should make their own choices on this one too, and not get too stressed about other people's purchasing habits.

Those cleanups are interesting events I think. People do throw out good stuff -- but invariably it's picked up within hours, if not minutes, by someone who does see some sorta value in it. Professional garage sale people roam the streets with vans. Old people walking dogs stop to check the piles for fcuk knows what. Kids score old skaties and other weird gear. It's a completely free market in junk and a lot of stuff is recycled in the process.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:27 am

I used to borrow a ute and a mate and I would go around and pick up washing machines in the hard rubbish collection. There are normally 2 things that go wrong with washing machines, either the solenoid blows or there is a bra underwire stuck in the pump. Fixing them cost about $5.
We'd then sell them for $200, normally do 6-10 each round. That's how I financed my first trip to Indo.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:08 pm

alakaboo wrote:I used to borrow a ute and a mate and I would go around and pick up washing machines in the hard rubbish collection. There are normally 2 things that go wrong with washing machines, either the solenoid blows or there is a bra underwire stuck in the pump. Fixing them cost about $5.
We'd then sell them for $200, normally do 6-10 each round. That's how I financed my first trip to Indo.
So, add washing machine repair and sales to the things you know. :B
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:26 pm

loofy wrote:Yeah thats all well and good Nick...

But what the f.ck we gonna do about Fitzsimons?
There is nothing anybody can do about Peter Fitzsimons.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:04 pm

Nah, I was just the muscle, Trev.
Housemate was an electrical engineer.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:14 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:

I've got a quick story about that bandanna wearing bore. A while back BB was invited to a show invited by a female journo friend - it was when Billy Crystal was in town and we had some exclusive VIP party thing afterwards and you got to meet Billy (if u wanted to rah rah etc etc) anyways my friend and I were talking to Andrew Denton and Lisa (Peter's wife) came up and we were all having a bit of a laugh and then we all were ushered into a even more inner sanctum party venue thing and I was walking with my friend and Lisa (Denton had moved elsewhere) and we were just talking and walking....... Fitzsimons bounded over like a big boar practically shoved BB over and put his arm around Lisa like a f-cucking c-unting jealous schoolboy all aggressive with absolutely no class at all. Lisa was fully embarrassed - I felt like telling him to fcuk off but he's like 6'6" (BB is 6'2") and it kinda wasn't the place of-course but I never forgot how juvenile he acted.

A true wanker and geeze the Sydney power couple were ALL over Billy later - it was bloody pathetic.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:47 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:

Fitzy and Campese have 107 Wallaby caps between the two of them.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Shes ok for an old MILF is Lisa, how was she in person BB when her face wasnt up BC's arse?

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:26 pm

i like fitzy
he writes way better than carroll
http://search.abc.net.au/search/search. ... versations

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
godsavethequeen wrote:Ok, I've got a question. Nick, in one of your surfline pieces you mentioned Adriano losing the double pump bottom turn - which is definitely true, you could see it at snapper even - and my top-of-the-head impression from the first two comps is that, across the pack, it seems less prevalent than it was. Is this as a result of the pros going a bit wider in the tail and perhaps packing in a bit more volume throughout? Or am I just a clueless imbecile who has no idea what he's talking about? That's two questions, sorry
GSTQ I don't think it's got to do with changing volumes in pro boards. Pros all ride slightly chunkier boards than most people seem to think and they've done so for quite some time. There have been some subtle changes to rocker in a lot of pro's boards in the last two years but that's mostly been about developing top turn carving lines -- you'll notice the fin throw top turn is also a bit less prevalent at that level
Not really related at all, but the other thing that I noticed down in Vicco was the return of the good ole' thruster.

Granted, I only surfed 4 days during a pretty decent swell period - but I dont recall seeing one Dumpster/Potato/Meyherhoffer/Fishy type thing or a board that looked to be under 6 foot, even when taking the kids for a grovel in a crowded Urquharts lineup a few times.

It was either the old blokes on pretty traditional looking 9ft+ Mals, or the rest of the crew on your standard type 6ft+ thruster. Very interesting when you compare it to the average Sth Coast beachies I frequent, which tend to have all manner of wierd craft about.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:05 pm

petulance wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:

Fitzy and Campese have 107 Wallaby caps between the two of them.
Yeah. And Campo's probably got 100 of them.

However, I enjoy reading his stuff.
I'd have knocked BB out of the way to get to Lisa, too.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Dougal wrote:
Trev wrote: I'd have knocked BB out of the way to get to Lisa, too.
I bet you would of, homewrecker.
Wouldn't be the first time.
Beanpole

Skipper

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:30 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: I think the clean bottom turn is just a result of tweaks and improvements in technique among the top end pro ranks in the past year or so. Simply put, they're just getting better.
Thanks Nick, very enlightening. On the getting better point, wasn't the clean bottom turn a part of the arsenal of every pro circa the late '80s, early '90s? As an example, I remember surfing Lafitenia around that time and Fabio Gouveia was in along with a couple of other pros (can't remember who, Todd Holland perhaps, Padaratz?). Gouveia's bottom turn in particular was a thing of beauty; a joy to behold, but they were all hitting it squarely and cleanly.
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:48 pm

damo666 wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:
godsavethequeen wrote:Ok, I've got a question. Nick, in one of your surfline pieces you mentioned Adriano losing the double pump bottom turn - which is definitely true, you could see it at snapper even - and my top-of-the-head impression from the first two comps is that, across the pack, it seems less prevalent than it was. Is this as a result of the pros going a bit wider in the tail and perhaps packing in a bit more volume throughout? Or am I just a clueless imbecile who has no idea what he's talking about? That's two questions, sorry
GSTQ I don't think it's got to do with changing volumes in pro boards. Pros all ride slightly chunkier boards than most people seem to think and they've done so for quite some time. There have been some subtle changes to rocker in a lot of pro's boards in the last two years but that's mostly been about developing top turn carving lines -- you'll notice the fin throw top turn is also a bit less prevalent at that level
Not really related at all, but the other thing that I noticed down in Vicco was the return of the good ole' thruster.

Granted, I only surfed 4 days during a pretty decent swell period - but I dont recall seeing one Dumpster/Potato/Meyherhoffer/Fishy type thing or a board that looked to be under 6 foot, even when taking the kids for a grovel in a crowded Urquharts lineup a few times.

It was either the old blokes on pretty traditional looking 9ft+ Mals, or the rest of the crew on your standard type 6ft+ thruster. Very interesting when you compare it to the average Sth Coast beachies I frequent, which tend to have all manner of wierd craft about.
Good observation I reckon.

Look closer though and you'll see lot's of shortboards with a bit of extra volume and a really flat rocker.

Big, crumbly waves and the standard banana-bendy thruster of the 90's just don't work down here.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:13 am

Waterhouse is suing Fitzsimons, allegedly for defamation: the truth hurts.

Go Fitzy.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:21 am

godsavethequeen wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote: I think the clean bottom turn is just a result of tweaks and improvements in technique among the top end pro ranks in the past year or so. Simply put, they're just getting better.
Thanks Nick, very enlightening. On the getting better point, wasn't the clean bottom turn a part of the arsenal of every pro circa the late '80s, early '90s? As an example, I remember surfing Lafitenia around that time and Fabio Gouveia was in along with a couple of other pros (can't remember who, Todd Holland perhaps, Padaratz?). Gouveia's bottom turn in particular was a thing of beauty; a joy to behold, but they were all hitting it squarely and cleanly.
Well yeah, except what the crew were doing in the top half of the wave back then was pretty hugely different to now. The clean bottom turn's been going in and out ever since the appearance of multi finned surfboards; its most recent departure from the scene was a result of guys turning mid-face to set up air moves and/or focusing on super late takeoffs into barrels. It tends to come back into play once whatever new element of style/technique that was being worked on is somewhat mastered. I like those return phases, it is cool for instance to see guys stalling into barrels from the base again occasionally.

Tom Curren is lauded as the style master to beat all masters but he was the pioneer of the thruster double pump bottom turn back in the early 1980s. It was a way of working the extra drive of a thruster into the contour and pace of a normal beachbreak type wave. He'd go down, do a half turn, run along the base, re-set, then go up into a squared off top turn. Eventually as that first period of figuring out thruster style wore through, he and most other pros managed to shrug it off and get back to the clean committed turn off the base (watch that epic heat with Occ at Bells to see his transition on that score). Fabio was Curren's most ardent style disciple and that's what you were watching at Lafi-fcuken-tania back then - Curren's progress reflected in another surfer's style.

I saw Fabio in Hawaii last December, his son is kind of a supergrommet and Fabio still rips!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:24 am

btw lil brother is THE owner of the clean bottom turn. Of all modern surfers, he's the one who has put it to the hardest of uses. MP and Smithy were his heroes but he far surpassed either of 'em.

Check him in heat and semis at Pipe in 1991. Everyone raved about The Snap. Shit, look at the bottom turns. Straight down, maximum speed, flat squared off, one move, into the barrel. Nobody can do that now let alone then.