Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

JET01
barnacle

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by JET01 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:32 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Do it Jet01. Enjoy yourself.

Look you guys, thanks for everything. I've really enjoyed most of my time contributing to Realsurf. Sadly, even after almost a year and a lot of fun in between, it remains a toxic place for me. I think maybe it's time to draw up this thread and move on. I'll ask trev or don or whomever to archive it for future use in case any of the crew can use some of the information contained in it.

Arrivederci and don't be a stranger if we bump into each other in the water.
Wow, I only just started reading this thread and it's ended.

All the best Nick, I'll have a read through the pages to get a better understanding of your comment. Hope I wasn't the straw that broke the camel's back for you. Just having a laugh...

Noticed how many posts you've made since joining. Thanks for your contributions 3-)
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:52 pm

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:40 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Look you guys, thanks for everything. I've really enjoyed most of my time contributing to Realsurf. Sadly, even after almost a year and a lot of fun in between, it remains a toxic place for me. I think maybe it's time to draw up this thread and move on. I'll ask trev or don or whomever to archive it for future use in case any of the crew can use some of the information contained in it.

Arrivederci and don't be a stranger if we bump into each other in the water.
Nick, if you are still reading, the word "toxic" is a pretty heavy term, popularised commonly by MP's. What specific instances here made you use the term "toxic"?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:56 pm

I didn't think someone like him could be affected so significantly by an Internet forum.

It is what it is. I remain grateful.

Hope he can detox and return.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:50 am

Perhaps there was a major trauma in Nick's life, he doesn't need certain references that trigger emotional turmoil.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:02 am

Exactly.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:30 am

Really? I don't know anything about Nicks personal life to even contemplate what that could of been. Hope it passes and he pops back on as the same for Shearer.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:21 pm

Davros wrote:Really? I don't know anything about Nicks personal life to even contemplate what that could of been. Hope it passes and he pops back on as the same for Shearer.
Agreed...

Over55yrs
Harry the Hat

Post by Over55yrs » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:14 pm

Well I have been a lurker for a long time and always enjoyed your comments and thoughts Nick.................all the best (seemingly now gone after 15,000 + posts)

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:26 am

Always some interesting views expressed amongst the nonsense on this thread so unfortunate to see it stop. I got the impression that NC appeared to have to defend the indefensible of why those who 'made it' within the organised competitive surfing structure invariably demonstrated the 'best' of surfing. I guess when you have some skin in the game your perceptions can be skewed. It's never really been a sport just like all the other non quantitative activities that try to (many successfully) sell themselves as a sport. How it is competitively 'measured' is often about as stupidly subjective as judging rhythmic gymnastics or aqua aerobics. The fact that scores dissected to 1/100th of a point are used is a collective wank that attempts to legitimise the process. You can make anything a competition, not a sport.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:19 am

Among the literally hundreds of reasonable fair-minded people who use these threads there is one asshole who has personally attacked Nick. If you check out the many postings you will be able to identify the troublemaker. That one attention-seeking person has spoiled it for everyone as we will now miss out on Nick's interesting well-written comments and advice.

So my request is twofold:
1. Could the asshole just do the right thing and stop posting to these forums?
2. Failing that could the moderators simply cancel his postings?

I know that if option 2 has to be taken there is a risk that he will reappear but it may be the only course if he is not decent enough to leave of his own accord.

I look forward to these actions occurring and Nick returning in the not too distant future.

regular

Post by 8 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:37 am

Who you talking about? I just read the last 5 pages and have no idea.

Give us a hint maybe.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:52 am

gots to know. I thought he just got fed up with the high school hi jinx re: sharks, shakas other

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:32 pm

The Fool Of No Grounded Sanity Shithead

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:55 pm

Think it was in the 2015 Tard thread
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:58 pm

Yes, that is where you will find it.

Elmako
Grommet

Post by Elmako » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:12 pm

Will miss his posts for sure, great insights.... he never answered why the Long Reef bommie is called The German Bank !, anyone ?

cheers

J

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:14 pm

maybe someone dropped some bombs there
Erase.