Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

OddaP
barnacle

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by OddaP » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:49 pm

That's the footage at the beginning of Trilogy. Awesome, there was a rip curl vid which showed other guys but AI was just mental compared to them. Thanks for that footage.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:26 pm

aaronn wrote:andy billabong
joel billabong
nc billabong
bias billabong
Why don't you just go fcuk yourself, you boring shit for brains.

You come in here day after day posting meaningless bullshit, reviving stupid old threads for weird reasons best known to yourself, but no, when someone actually stretches themselves to explore and explain actual fcuken SURFING, all you can do is come up with is this absolutely retarded response.

Wake the fcuk up to yourself.

Dougal
Owl status

Post by Dougal » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:03 pm

Grooter wrote:Young dammit will forever be looked down upon, bottom feeding on the Great Wheel of Life
Nick Carroll wrote:This is the best thread ever

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: re AI, I guess also there's some personal taste involved, he surfed the way I'd always wanted to surf and could ever have imagined surfing.

Plus he had Kelly's nuts in a vice. Which however you want to look at it, was a good thing. I think it was good because I get a bit weary of all the "Kelly's a super freak and not human" shit, well, Andy had him cold and Andy was nothing if not human.
C'mon Nick, you'd like yourself some Slater just like the rest of us. I reckon if I could troll through all the archive Webcasts I'd find those exact " super freak " words or something very similar coming out of your mouth in the booth.

Anyone who dominates their chosen profession for 20years is a super............blah blah blah !

You think it was AI's in your face aggression at his peak that put Slater out of kilt , or the fact that by the time AI hit top form the whole
tour wanted Kelly rolled and they knew Andy was the only one who could do it , so it was 43 vs 1 ( even his tour buds like TK I reckon would have been rooting for AI just a little) .

PS . Does Slater actually train outside of surfing ? or doesn't do a whole lot other than surf ?

Thanks

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:58 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
aaronn wrote:andy billabong
joel billabong
nc billabong
bias billabong
Why don't you just go fcuk yourself, you boring shit for brains.

You come in here day after day posting meaningless bullshit, reviving stupid old threads for weird reasons best known to yourself, but no, when someone actually stretches themselves to explore and explain actual fcuken SURFING, all you can do is come up with is this absolutely retarded response.

Wake the fcuk up to yourself.
He's a worry.
I figured him for some smart arse kid but he's been around for 5 years, so I'm tending to think he's got "issues".
His rubbish posts annoy the hell out of me.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Trev wrote: He's a worry.
I figured him for some smart arse kid but....
S/he has been on my ignore list for a little while already ("foes list" it's called in this software package for some reason, but I think that's a stupid name for it, because s/he is not my enemy, s/he doesn't know me from a bar of soap; I just ignore him/her. Every so often, someone repeats one of his/her posts in a quote, and so I involuntarily get to see the posts despite of my efforts to avoid this dreadful fate; however, sometimes I even voluntarily click on a foes blocked post, thinking I might be missing something. just sheer boredom, I guess.

But every time that I clicked on one of these particular blocked (=foe's) posts, I got a resounding confirmation of my initial impression: It's not worth the time reading it.

I wouldn't cry a tear if you block him/her from this forum.

Mik

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:24 pm

I still reckon he's a bot which makes you guys look a bit silly when you argue with him.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Karlos wrote:I still reckon he's a bot which makes you guys look a bit silly when you argue with him.
How does one recognise a bot?

Anyway, ignoring dill or bot works just the same....

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:39 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:21 am

Sure, he can surprise and amuse with his oblique take on stuff....
bots, don't share the occasionally interesting abc radio program.

Prolly more to do with Nick maybe harbouring some intrigue too at the occasional pearl or revelation about himself he posts, only to then dump meaningless, slightly veiled comments like the one above. Which, following on from another one of Nick's exceptionally generous contributions would have shattered any such illusion.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:14 am

No one disses Andy.

I reckon Mik's onto something aarron is she, not he.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:31 pm

daryl wrote:No one disses Andy.

I reckon Mik's onto something aarron is she, not he.
You could well be right daryl. There are some real bitches out there in the world. But I think to suggest aaronn is one is probably insulting to bitches everywhere.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:41 am

Bit of a Buffalo Bill? "it puts the lotion on its skin". Who you got trapped down there Aaron?

brownhornet
Grommet

Post by brownhornet » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:26 pm

One for the crowd and Nic,
Sure this is the same in many spots on a Sunday but the months surf comp has me asking a few questions. I think I know the answer is one of etiquette rather than a steadfast rule...is there a general expectation that a surfer in a comp always has right of way, free to drop in, on any given wave?

Seems to me that these guys are happy to drop in on waves when you have been up and riding for a few seconds. Should I just sit out the back in anticipation that a comp surfer will go a wave down the line? S&its me a bit on these ones and feel like firing up but don't because it is a comp and happy to give some level of support. Any way clarification?

Another aspect that is annoying is often there will be the next heat in the water ready to go. The next 4 also feel free to just go any wave and drop in even when not competing. I wold think local clubs do a disservice to the young competitors by not letting them know the obvious respect, danger and general frustration they cause just because they have a coloured top.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Depends whether its a mal comp or not :-D-:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

138cfh

Post by 138cfh » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:27 pm

[quote="Nick CarrollWell here is another little tiny thought about style in surfing

All surfers have what you might describe as a First Position. First Position in classical ballet is the stance at which you commence and to which you return before and after significant movements.
I won't really get into what I suspect about most surfers' First Positions other than they're generally very unobserved. But AI's First Position was spring loaded. Everything about his body posture, from the cocked trailing arm to the slight tilt of the hips forward and down, was set for instant movement.[/quote]

That's what i'm working on at the moment. Plus the weightshift with the hips.

Hey Nick, what would be an ideal First position? Especially surfing small waves? The surf in holland is small and weak. Watched some videos of AI, his weightshift is crazy. I also noticed what you said about his hipposition, a bit more shifted to the front, which might lead to the conclusion that he wasn't a so called 'powersurfer'. But he shifts his weight very aggressive and fast.
The turn at 5:21 and the turn therafter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u0X3lhBHDY

Freestyler
regular

Post by Freestyler » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Length v thickness?
Hey Nick, appreciate your thought on the issue of length v thickness in a step up board for the average surfer. In recent years the pros have been riding smaller step ups, more volume/wider noses, and board companies & surf shops have been promoting same to the average Joe. But is this a good idea for Joe. Shorter/thicker might give Joe the paddle power and keep the board loose, but Joe doesn't surf as fast or as good as the pros. Wouldn't a longer board, with its inherent paddle power, and longer rail line, help draw out turns on a bigger day and get Joe around sections. I'm not talking BIG, but just stepping up in the 6-8 range. I notice at my local breaks many surfers use their daily short board on bigger days and just waste waves. I suppose it may depend on the type of waves, beachbreaks = shorter/fatter, points=longer.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:40 pm

The longer people keep paddling out in 6ft pointsurf on a 5'8" the happier I'll be.